Queen Elizabeth II Stakes

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Rather than just add this to the long running miling division etc etc to concentrate on this race I see that the Betfair market says in essence

11-10 Canford Cliffs
5-2Makfi
100-30 RVW

Enormous fan as I am of CC - that strikes me as too short for him and too long for Makfi and RVW about right.

Other views ?- looks like the weather will mean ground should be good .

Canford has definitely improved since the guineas and murdered Makfi in the St James palace. Having said that i think you have to put a line through that and given a strong pace and a stiff track I think there will be very little in it. Canford probably deserves to be favourite but I would have them closer in terms of price.

Makfi had a throat infection in the St James Palace. He's beaten Canford on the only occasion the two met on a level playing field, for all the talk of the dip at Newmarket and racing too freely he was beaten fair and square by the better horse on the day.

They've both gone on to win open Group 1's and it will be an intriguing race but at the respective prices I know who I'd want to be on.

I don't think that really means very much- the question is which has improved to be the best horse since the Guineas .

CC has improved no end to win the QEII and Sussex . Makfi's win in the Jacques le Marois was on such crappy ground that it is difficult to take it at face value . If he is that much better than Goldikova and Paco Boy then CC will have to improve again .

Terrific horse as RVW is - I can only see him winning if the other two run below form.

True - will RVW put CC and Makfi through the mill by setting a fast pace , grinding them to dust !

Soumillon to ride Makfi - good news for CC fans I think - he is more likely to make a horlicks of it than Lemaire !

Cape Blanco is a surprise name among 14 six-day entries for the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot.
Aidan O'Brien's charge won the Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes on his most recent start and is joined in the field for Saturday's Group One showpiece by stablemates Rip Van Winkle, Windsor Palace, Air Chief Marshall, Beethoven and Steinbeck.
As expected star three-year-old colts Canford Cliffs and Makfi stand their ground along with Celebraton Mile winner Poet's Voice.
The Godolphin team have also left Rio De La Plata in while Bushman, Awzaan, Hearts Of FIre and Red Jazz complete the field.

Cape Blanco ! I thought he was going for the Arc . What is the point of running Windsor Palace surely he is too slow to make the running .

While I do not expect him to line up - what are peoples thoughts in general of him ever dropping back to a mile?

I can not see Cape Blanco running in this, no way.

Air Chief Marshall might make the running, he isn't top class by any means but he is quicker than Windsor Palace.

While I do not expect him to line up - what are peoples thoughts in general of him ever dropping back to a mile?

Maybe if the ground was soft for the Lockinge next year, but I'd say it was unlikely. The Prix D'Ispahan over nine furlongs might be a possibility, but it would mean O'Brien having a 4yo well tuned very early in the season.

Air Chief Marshal (IRE) 3.c
Awzaan 3.c
Beethoven (IRE) 3.c
Bushman 6.g
Canford Cliffs (IRE) 3.c
Cape Blanco (IRE) 3.c
Hearts of Fire 3.c
Makfi 3.c
Poet's Voice 3.c
Red Jazz (USA) 3.c
Rio de La Plata (USA) 5.h
Rip Van Winkle (IRE) 4.c
Steinbeck (IRE) 3.c
Windsor Palace (IRE) 5.h

Canford Cliffs (5/4) , Makfi (2) , Rip Van Winkle (7/2) , Cape Blanco (5) , Poets Voice (12) , Steinbeck (20) , Awzaan (25) , Rio De La Plata (25) , Hearts Of Fire (33) , Beethoven (40) , Red Jazz (66) , Bushman (100) , Air Chief Marshal (200) , Windsor Palace (200)

Back