Queen Elizabeth II Stakes

Funny how if Ballydoyle did something like this people would be outraged.

However, when it's good old Hannon, I expect there to be little said.

That's true. I admit myself that had it been Bolger, I'd be shouting from the rooftops! :rolleyes:

To be fair to the Hannon's, they are risking the Trainers Championship though.

Funny how if Ballydoyle did something like this people would be outraged.

However, when it's good old Hannon, I expect there to be little said.

That's what I was thinking! Steinbeck ruled out months for the Guineas and it was typical Ballydoyle!

Maybe a place lay a good idea, if it turns out the Royal meeting wasn't just an injury and he could have Ascotitis.

Poet's Voice a big each way bet.

Sorry what has Hannon done wrong? The horse didn't scope well this morning, and the press were informed even prior to declarations being made. It's a fact of life that this the wellbeing or lack of, of such a high profile horse is bound to get around when the yard have so many staff.

Gamla Stan posted up the rumour about Canford not scoping well yesterday morning. Guess it takes 24 hours to call the press these days..

Gamla Stan posted up the rumour about Canford not scoping well yesterday morning. Guess it takes 24 hours to call the press these days..

The scope was described as marginal - no doubt they wanted to discuss it with the vet and the owners as to whether they should chance it especially as the horse had apparently worked exceptionally well .

Moreover, had they had doubts about the horse earlier then no doubt Paco Boy ( or DT ) would have remained at the five day stage.

CC winning the QEII would have possibly secured the trainer's championship . It is a shame as I imagine without CC the field might have been a bit bigger too .

You're right - it takes 24 hours + to discuss it with a vet (who was most probably there when doing the scope!). Come on!

Seriously, swap Hannon for O'Brien and people would be calling for his head.

Last edited:
Sorry, I thought that post was made this morning. Agreed poor show from the yard, even if the scope was marginal, a statement to say his participation was potentially in doubt would have been the right way to go.

CC is owned by a number of people . It is their decision .

Racing yards leak - it is a fact of life but why should trainers and owners be dictated to by the fact that betting exchanges exist.

No need to apologise.

Something doesn't appear quite right about this - I think they may have thought something was wrong with the horse all along or they didn't want to run him. How many trainers do you see referring to something going wrong and talking about scoping their horse 3 days before a big race, as in the below quote:

Obviously, the big race is still three days away and horses can change quickly, but we will have him scoped and if his reading is good I see no reason why he should not be very hard to beat at Ascot.

I don't think Hannon did much wrong, I was just comparing the likely different reactions if it was a Bolger or O'Brien.

Poets Voice into the 8/1 mark now.

Something doesn't appear quite right about this - I think they may have thought something was wrong with the horse all along or they didn't want to run him. How many trainers do you see referring to something going wrong and talking about scoping their horse 3 days before a big race, as in the below quote:

Most horses are routinely scoped before big races I thought?

I understand a further scope was ordered after the first looked patchy and after a poor piece of work.

Nothing - the statement on his website is a bizarre one to be making. Maybe he knew the horse wasn't going to be running at that point - who knows, but that statement is not what you would expect.

Considering how little was between Canford Cliffs and Rip van Winkle at Goodwood, Rip seems good value for Saturday. Makfi has disappointed at Ascot before, and I've yet to be convinced that Poet's Voice is a Group 1 horse.

Punters screwed over again. Makfi was the money horse yesterday. Obviously people taking advantage of information not in the public domain.

Exactly. But this will only bring up the debate on what right and when should punters expect to have news of running plans made available.

Punters screwed over again. Makfi was the money horse yesterday. Obviously people taking advantage of information not in the public domain.

...true enough. Corals had had them 13/8 joint favourites (all in) for a couple of days now, when the others had Makfi as big as 9/4 and Canford touching evens. Coral clearly knew something, unless you believe they were taking a strong view. However, Coral was by far the stingiest on Canford last time in the run up to the Sussex.

Coral are refunding all bets placed after Midnight today.

What a shite concession. Prob took about £30 since midnight.

Last edited:
Coral are refunding all bets placed after Midnight today.

What a shite concession. Prob took about £30 since midnight.

I backed him the day before yesterday when they pushed him out to 13/8. They were already the biggest at the time at 6/4, so clearly knew something and were sucking in those outside the loop.

I even joked with the guy at Corals that he wouldn't win now.

Last edited:
I am not so sure - the fact is that CC was too short at the opening prices anyway .

Joint favourites struck me as about right anyway on the form.

I am not so sure - the fact is that CC was too short at the opening prices anyway .

Joint favourites struck me as about right anyway on the form.

The market "corrected" itself yesterday when the informed money came from Makfi. Corals were probably just taking on Canford Cliffs but other bookmakers who pushed out Canford Cliffs must have known something was up.

Back