Queen Elizabeth II Stakes

Steinbeck showed a real turn of foot last time out at the Curragh in a Group 3 and I would be surprised if he does not run at Ascot. He certainly would not be out of place in the field.

He'd get absolutely battered. He's so far behind Canford and Makfi.

If he was trained by anyone else in Ireland, he'd be double the price he is.

He'd get absolutely battered. He's so far behind Canford and Makfi.

If he was trained by anyone else in Ireland, he'd be double the price he is.

I still see no reason why he is not entitled to have another go in Group 1 company. The Champions Stakes might be on their mind.

Think the market is starting to reflect the thoughts of many on here - Canford Cliffs deserves to be favourite but is probably a little too short.

Coral are 13/8 Canford Cliffs. They really are fearless when it comes to taking on horses in the big Group 1 races. Makfi now a general 2/1 chance.

A lot more than you will get on Betfair. Whats wrong with laying 13/8 to £500? Powers will lay the 6/4 to lose €2.5K. I doubt he will be bigger than 11/8 at the off.

I've taken what 13/8 I can with Corals (all in) on Canford. Makfi looks ridiculously short to me and the others, with the best will in the world, at this level and trip, look out with the washing.

I hate things like this but there are rumours doing that rounds that they've scoped Canford and he isn't 100% bang on.

A bit late to be saying this, but no point in betting now on skinny prices (first three) what with the day of the race market 24 hours away.

Makfi is the obvious form horse, and will be very surprised if he is not favorite on the day, at 9/4 he is a clear bet for me.

Poets Voice can be interesting for the exacta.

On a seperate note, the traders at VC need shooting. They left the market up until 9.25am, will have cost them fortunes!

Makfi looks ridiculously short to me

Makfi is the obvious form horse

Come on chaps. Aren't you both just seeing what you want to see. At their best, there's very little evidence to suggest there's much at all between Canford Cliffs and Makfi, and the QEII is likely to come down to which is going to hold his form for longest. Not really a recipe for a bet for me. Will watch with interest though.

Canford Cliffs will miss Saturday's Queen Elizabeth II Stakes at Ascot.
Richard Hannon's star was heading for a mouthwatering rematch with Makfi but didn't scope satisfactorily on Thursday and does not feature among the final declarations.
Hannon told his website, www.richardhannon.tv: "The scope was marginal, but Canford Cliffs is now such a valuable commodity that you cannot take any chances, so, having listened to veterinary advice from Mike O'Gorman, we have no option but to pull out.
"Everyone in the yard is absolutely gutted, and we realise that it could well cost us the trainer's championship, but the welfare of the horse comes first and you need to be 100% to go into a battle for a Group 1.
"I must stress that the tracheal wash was not terrible, but the reading was disappointing, and, though he'd probably be fine if there was another race coming up in a week or so, the fact is there is nothing left over a mile, just the Foret over seven furlongs.
"However, the great thing is that we have him in training for next year - he has done us proud this season, and he'll be back better than ever as a four-year-old."
William Hill reacted to the news by making Makfi their new 4-5 favourite with defending champion Rip Van Winkle now 11-4 (from 7-2).
Spokeswoman Kate Miller said: '"Racing fans have been denied one of the most mouth-watering rematches of the season with the late withdrawal of Canford Cliffs. Makfi now quite rightly takes the top honours in the betting, with Rip Van Winkle the biggest threat to a French victory."

Bushman
Rip Van Winkle (IRE)
Air Chief Marshal (IRE)
Beethoven (IRE) (Visor)
Hearts of Fire
Makfi
Poet's Voice (Tongue Strap)
Red Jazz (USA)

Obviously don't want to give the exact source but there's someone who's a friend of the company I work for who gets the odd bit of good information from the Hannon yard.

I didn't act on the info until this morning unfortunately.

Funny how if Ballydoyle did something like this people would be outraged.

However, when it's good old Hannon, I expect there to be little said.

Back