Queen Mother Champion Chase

betsmate

At the Start
I can't find a thread for this, which I guess is testament to Master Minded's supremacy.

What do we think of Big Zeb's performance there? And what does the fall mean?

I know there are a few fans on here. I backed him today and was pretyy confident turning in, even with the few lengths to find.

Jumped very fell so I was shocked to see him come down. He was going to win, I thought it would have been a very good effort, there was plenty of money for Scotsirish too.

I'd still want to be on e/w at Cheltenham.

Paddys are 14/1 which is noticeably stand-out. I can't help thinking that it is throwing away the win part though.

VC go 7/2 without Master Minded. Which just feels a point or two short... (bits of 4/1 starting to be matched on Betfair)

Last edited:
3.6 will easily get matched in the place market after today's result. I'd still rather a straight each way bet.

Either the fall today will teach him to be careful or it will knock his confidence. Either way I would not like to put any win money on him, as a careless jump under pressure today will be all the more likely at Cheltenham - which is a course which demands maximum concentration from a horse

I've backed Briareus at 16.5 without Master Minded, and wouldn't really want to be on anything else.

On the face of it Big Zeb looked by far the most likely winner when he came down - he was cantering all over Mansony. However, my nagging worry is that he tends to travel strongly through his races (as he did today) only to find relatively little off the bridle.

While Colm Murphy has said that he is much more the finished article this year, his run at Leopardstown didn't totally convince me tbh. That said, a strongly run race on decent ground should suit him down to the ground - though I won't touch him for the Champion Chase.

If Master Minded turns up anywhere near his best, he is in a different parish.

Cantering is the right word ,and I don`t think the Jock helped turning half round in the saddle to look behind. One thing ,if he does that at Chelt going Master Minded`s pace he won`t be finishing. Not that impressed . 10/3 without the jolly on the book.

Cantering is the right word ,and I don`t think the Jock helped turning half round in the saddle to look behind

he was far enough from the fence when he looked around that it didn;t matter. Having seen Big Zeb fall a few times at the first, I think the key to him is to let him do it himself. When he has fallen, jocks have been pullling the head off him and Matt took a pull before the fence yest and he hit the top of it. It was a soft fall and not the first he has made. He just doesn't get his undercarriage out quick enough when he hits the top.

I wouldn't be a fan of Big Zeb and cant see him being involved at the festival.I would have Petit Robin as the alternative to the favourite.

I dont expect him to beat Master Minded, or indeed get near him, but his high cruising speed and his jumping (generally good and fast despite his falls) should see him right in the mix for the placings.

Cantoris probably has the right of it - which jockey is best at sitting quiet and letting the horse do it himself? - I presume Colm would want an Irish jockey?

Timmy Murphy, Carberry minor, Davy Russell... there are a few potential contenders. The stable's Matt O'Connor is also in a good vein of form at the moment but doesn't have much experience of the bif time as yet.

If he was mine and O`Connor rode him again I would give the jock a schooling of how to look behind ,AP style. Still, I cant see him looking behind at Chelt ,he will be looking at something very fast about a fence in front of him.

On the face of it Big Zeb looked by far the most likely winner when he came down - he was cantering all over Mansony. However, my nagging worry is that he tends to travel strongly through his races (as he did today) only to find relatively little off the bridle.

While Colm Murphy has said that he is much more the finished article this year, his run at Leopardstown didn't totally convince me tbh. That said, a strongly run race on decent ground should suit him down to the ground - though I won't touch him for the Champion Chase.

If Master Minded turns up anywhere near his best, he is in a different parish.

agree completely. not sure he would have beat mansony at all.

On the face of it Big Zeb looked by far the most likely winner when he came down - he was cantering all over Mansony. However, my nagging worry is that he tends to travel strongly through his races (as he did today) only to find relatively little off the bridle. quote]

Champion Chase

Couldn't see a thread on this... probably because there doesn't seem much to say past the favourite.

Good reports about Tidal Bay though who could still run in this rather than the Ryanair. His jumping needs to improve, but Cheltenham seems to concentrate his efforts.

Could be significant for books without the favourite.

Yes, David Pipe says he's getting through his exercise every day, which is faster and faster as time has gone on. He also reported Jonathan Lower (right name?), who looks after him, says he thinks he has retained all his previous ability.

There was a great quote from Pipe which went something like although he's taking it one day at a time, he sometimes looks at him and imagines 'what if he's going well 3 out', then tells himself to stop dreaming.

I think he's worth some kind of bet, as he retained (at least most) of his ability when he last came back.

I couldn't imagine a better outcome, though it's maybe I who should stop dreaming.

Yes, David Pipe says he's getting through his exercise every day, which is faster and faster as time has gone on. He also reported Jonathan Lower (right name?), who looks after him, says he thinks he has retained all his previous ability.

There was a great quote from Pipe which went something like although he's taking it one day at a time, he sometimes looks at him and imagines 'what if he's going well 3 out', then tells himself to stop dreaming.

I think he's worth some kind of bet, as he retained (at least most) of his ability when he last came back.

I couldn't imagine a better outcome, though it's maybe I who should stop dreaming.

Yeah I enjoyed that quote as well....imagine Simon Holt just pointing out at the top of the hill that Well Chief is still going well!

I've backed Briareus in the "without" market at 16.5. Still hopeful that McCoy finds a way onto the horse.

Back