Query

Grand Armee

At the Start
I really did not want to bring this up, but Martin strongly suggested that I should since some of you may have a bit of advice that could be recommended to me.

Today I was called into my manager's office, along with my assistant manager. There had been a complaint put forward. Apparently several people in the office had complained that my voice was too loud and too annoying. Effectively I was told I had to tone it down, and maybe put a reminder on my phone to keep my voice down.

If you are wondering how I honestly felt, to tell you the truth I feel both insulted, ill-respected by my fellow colleagues and deeply hurt emotionally. I also feel ashamed.

For the rest of the afternoon I sat quietly at my desk, not knowing whether to cry or just completely walk out. My assistant manager and I are discussing it tomorrow, and in depth.

I do understand that I am loud, but I am generally a loud person (not the lets have a chat variety), something they knew when they first employed me. If they cannot accept me for who I am, then really resignation may be my only option.

Human Resources will definitely be notified tomorrow, other avenues (whatever are available) will be exhausted if need be.

Grand: do you all work in an open office setting? If you do, then having one member of staff who's extremely raucous on the phone, or bawls the length of the office, rather than talks in a modulated voice nearer a colleague, can be very distracting to your workmates. Clearly they feel that your own, admitted, loudness is getting in the way of them doing their jobs.

Tell you what, instead of getting in a state about this, why not see if they don't have a point? What is the problem with lowering your voice when you're at work? Unless you're working in a place where being loud is necessary for safety, there's no NEED to be loud in workplaces.

I'm sure your workmates didn't want to complain about your voice - when I was a supervisor, I got complaints about people who swore too much, who smelled bad, who were constantly tardy or left too early, a whole load of issues. They're not easy for management to handle, either, without making the person concerned feel under personal attack.

The thing is, you're not being attacked 'personally'. You're being asked to talk a little quieter in a professional, not a personal, environment. See what your meetings bring, but if you've been loud enough to warrant your co-workers getting concerned enough to bring the issue up to their supervisors, there's a need to look at it. You don't need to feel insulted (how can you - you said yourself that you ARE loud!), but you do need to look at this trait.

Your company has the right to ask you to not distract other employees, but you can bawl all you like once you're out of the building! You can make a joke of it with your workmates, to take the sting out of it, if you want. Just tell them it's due to being a carnival barker in your previous job, and you sometimes forget where you are! I'm sure no-one wants you to quit, only to tone the volume down a bit.

I hope GA doesn't mind me mentioning this but she is not the only person who has been complained about over being too loud, this includes the assistant manager

Sounds very distressing for you, GA.

The best advice is to probably take it on the chin. Maybe management have been a bit insensitive in how it has been adressed. Hovever, I think if the situation had been disturbing your colleagues, they had very little option but to tell you of the complaints.

I certainly wouldn't take it personally. I have been a manager/director for over 25 years and I always like to think that if you speak to someone and tell them there is an "issue" it gives the person concerned the chance to react accordingly - hopefully in a positive manner.

There is nothing wrong with having a loud voice outside of the office environment but on the phone it can distract others as Krizon rightly says. If I were you, I would apologise profusely and say that you will do your best to turn the volume down in future. Perhaps ask if the volume goes up, someone could give you a gentle reminder. Don't look down on your colleagues for mentioning it, but take it in the constructive manner I am sure it was meant.

Mind you, if one of your colleages overpowers you with strong smelling aftershave or perfume, make sure you let them know about it too. B)

I certainly wouldn't resign, especially if you like the job. Yes, it may have come as a bit of a shock and I can understand why you may have taken it personally, but it is something to take on board and build on. Your reaction will no doubt be noted by your manager and may well score you brownie points in the future.

And what happened about them, IS? The Assistant Manager hasn't quit, has he, since he's meeting with Grand to have a discussion about loudness. Did he lower his voice? Have the others lowered theirs? I assume they've all stayed on at work, so GA should not quit. The thing is, this might be an issue which will arise in similar working circumstances in future, anyway, so it's as well to be sure what it is that's annoying people. Is it the same person, or persons, always complaining about people?

Originally posted by krizon@Feb 15 2006, 11:50 AM
And what happened about them, IS? The Assistant Manager hasn't quit, has he, since he's meeting with Grand to have a discussion about loudness. Did he lower his voice? Have the others lowered theirs? I assume they've all stayed on at work, so GA should not quit. The thing is, this might be an issue which will arise in similar working circumstances in future, anyway, so it's as well to be sure what it is that's annoying people. Is it the same person, or persons, always complaining about people?
I would suggest it is the same person complaining. It's a complaint as opposed to complaints. Couldn't they have had a quiet word first? Is it neccessary to go straight to the Manager?

I see there point Krizon, and yes its an open office environment, but how would you seriously like it if someone came up to you and said "Your voice is annoying, such and such cannot tolerate it, because she doesn't like it."

It for me is a personal attack, and that is also how the other manager saw it.

What doesn't make me understand is that the person that complained is only there 2 days a week, and not one other person complained.

It doesn't usually happen that way, Martin, unless they're really good workmates or friends. One reason is because there's a tendency for the person who's complained about, not to take it too seriously, and carry on with whatever it is.

Management is there to manage, and that includes addressing employees' concerns. No doubt the complainer wanted to remain anonymous, so as not to attract any attention - if GA is excessively loud, he or she may think that they'll get a very loud, public, reaction! Some employees don't see it as their place to mention such things to colleagues. Some, frankly, just always have something to gripe about!

Originally posted by Irish Stamp+Feb 15 2006, 11:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Irish Stamp @ Feb 15 2006, 11:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-krizon@Feb 15 2006, 11:50 AM
I would suggest it is the same person complaining. It's a complaint as opposed to complaints. Couldn't they have had a quiet word first? Is it neccessary to go straight to the Manager? [/b][/quote]
See if I had been told by the particular complainant directly, I'd have no issues, but to hear it through other channels, and it to be part of the typical *office gossip* is what I think got to both of us.

In my opinion, this is very close to bullying - genuine distress by colleagues should have lead to a polite personal request to keep it down or a friendly pointed slagging. Being called into the managers office is way OTT.

If the situation allows, I'd tell the manager to FUDK OFF and see what his next move is.

Grand: okay, that puts a slightly different slant on it. So, it's just one person, and he/she is there on a casual basis, not as permanent staff, and has already complained about the Assistant Manager's voice. No-one else apparently is worried. So, why is your management not just telling this person that, since they're only there for two days out of five, it is THEY who need to adjust, not the other way around? I would be inclined to ask your manager why so much notice is taken of this part-timer's complaints against yourself and your A.M., when no-one else has been affected? Perhaps this person does have a personal issue with the two of you. They should have the meeting WITH the complainer, in this case, and everyone get their cards on the table.

Grand Armee remember there are probably office politics being played here (don't you just hate them!), and if I were you, I would play them at their own game. Afterall, they may just be jealous of you OR they could have a legitimate complaint. Ask if others others have complained or moaned but bear in mind they may have been too scared to say anything "officially".

You have already said you may have a loud voice on the phone, so IF you like the job, I would play the political "office" game - have a word with the manager and tell them why you are upset about the way it has been handled, perhaps lower your voice just in case it is distracting others and then just have the "grass" in your sights at the next office party! :ph34r: B)

:o Could be a case for a tribunal re CONSTRUCTIVE DISMISSAL forcing you to leave your employer, how long have you been working for them? if it is 2 years or more you could take them to a tribunal.... I am not obviously aware of the employment rules/laws in OZ ........I am quoting the law here.............

Are they complaining about the loudness with which you speak or just your voice (is it high-pitched, etc)?

If it's just the loudness, there's been an over-reaction. If it's just the nature of your voice it's a different ball game altogether. That makes it personal and you're right to be offended. (I was once very attracted to a beautiful young woman who had a crush on me but I could never ask her out as I knew I'd end up offending her on account her voice.)

Are you a member of a union?

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Feb 15 2006, 04:46 PM
I was once very attracted to a beautiful young woman who had a crush on me but I could never ask her out as I knew I'd end up offending her on account her voice.
This might help in such circumstances:

bound_gagged_spanked_04.jpg

Dear Miss Knight:

Reference your recent complaint about missing tack, we are pleased to inform you that a Mr Brian Hartigan has been apprehended in possession of a straight rubber snaffle, a jointed snaffle, a Chifney, and several schooling bits. He claims that the bits are used purely for the corrective schooling of skittish fillies. Please contact DCI Pelham in this matter.

Yours, etc.,

Chief Suptd. Ivor Badden

Originally posted by BrianH+Feb 15 2006, 05:35 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BrianH @ Feb 15 2006, 05:35 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Desert Orchid@Feb 15 2006, 04:46 PM
I was once very attracted to a beautiful young woman who had a crush on me but I could never ask her out as I knew I'd end up offending her on account her voice.
This might help in such circumstances:

bound_gagged_spanked_04.jpg
[/b][/quote]
That wouldn't work, Brian. There's no room for anything else...

And some people think kids look at this site? :brows:

"There, you see, Timmy, the nice young lady is just demonstrating the different action between a straight-bar bit, and a curb... "

Sorry to hear your news but I must add there is nothing worse than working in an office and someone talking with a booming voice, gets right on my nerves, worked with many people like that, on the phone everyone can hear their conversation, also the ones on the train get right on my nerves!

Sorry but it is annoying!

GA, how big is the open plan office? If it is just one complainant, and they only work two days a week, is there any chance of suggesting to the management that one or both of you move desks. Try and put a bit more space between you, and then if you manage to curb the noise even a little, it will surely not annoy the other person.

Merlin - although obviously it is not relevant to Grande Armee's case the qualifying period for an unfair dismissal claim is now one year .

One of the few enlightened acts of the Labour Govt .

As for GA's case sounds like rank bad management . If there was any need to raise the issue it should have been done quietly, individually and with tact .

Ok, well today was better, the whinger wasn't there.

It comes down only ONE person is complaining. Unfortunately she is known for liking it quiet (the morgue style), but however my assistant manager and I came to a conclusion.
She truly has nothing better to do, and its very petty.

The questions we raised today:

a) why is she listening in on my assistant manager's phone conversation with his wife about their house being sold, and even bringing it up? No one else knew he was selling his house, but her and our general manager :brows:

B) its an open planned office, noise carries, neither of us are running around squealing or being intentionally loud, because its unprofessional and we want to maintain an etiquette standard of professionalism. We are just generally louder speakers, and I unfortunately have a very high pitched accent (some Canadian thought I was the *bomb* as he put it, yesterday the way I talked, because I sounded really Aussie :blink: ). Our words: take it or leave it.

c) Others have got issues with her, and raised the same thing as us, why can't she learn to block things out, and concentrate on what she was employed to do, and not go about pestering others.

Several of us today made a joke of it, and that is what it probably will be from now on, a huge joke.

Sounds like you have it sewn up GA! Laugh about it and make friends with your work colleagues if and where you can. Big offices can be horrendous places to work if you are not happy or if someone is out to upset the balance. You know who she is, so let her carry on in her nosey, petty way but in the meantime, try and move on, have a giggle and try and educate that Canadian that sounding really "Aussie" is in fact a compliment! :D

Alicia, nothing is going to happen when you have all those boys in your pocket. ;) If you didn't have the chance of being fired I'd purposely be really loud when she was around. Hope all goes well for you today.

Back