Quick question

Fair play UG, I was just about to ask was it called that too! I always found when I was talking to someone over say 30/40 that they still refer to the race as the Mackeson/Murphy's.

On a similar note, I read somewhere this week that the Raging Boast's hijacking of The Mildmay Of Flete has come to an abrupt end. Needless to say , it wasn't in their shite paper that I came across this news. I think I said on here at the time their sponsorship was introduced what a load of rubbish it was. The heritage of the sport hung out to dry just so the paper could posture ahead of an impending challenge from The Sportsman, and so typical of Cheltenham to sell out to anyone.

Raging Boast Plate, bog off.

Nothing pisses me off more than the Bula hurdle now being referred too as the Boylesports International. When Bonusprint sponsered it it was the Bonusprint Bula hurdle. What would have been wrong with the Boylesports Bula hurdle?

The fact that everyone would call it the Bula and render Boylesport's sponsorship redundant and a waste of money.

Booooo

Just because you have something constructive to say does not mean you have to say it....

Nothing pisses me off more than the Bula hurdle now being referred too as the Boylesports International. When Bonusprint sponsered it it was the Bonusprint Bula hurdle. What would have been wrong with the Boylesports Bula hurdle?

I'm with you there Gearoid. So many races that commemorate great horses/riders/trainers are being encumbered or replaced with ugly, unwieldy names that change from year to year so that no-one knows exactly what anyone else is referring to.

Again, just like Cheltenham to sell out for money above tradition whilst still selling themselves as the "Home of NH Racing". The general attitude of both course and town seems to be "Give us your money and b.g..r off".

and another thing.....

The Fighting Fifth Hurdle needs to be saved because its now agrade one, yet it ought not be rescheduled this coming week due to its proximity to the Bula, the following week.

Heritage tamperers note; if The Fighting Fifth had not been moved from its traditional position in the first two weeks in November, where it existed perfectly well for many many years then this problem would not have arisen.

Heritage tampering, Ch4 appeasing, sponsorship toadying arses.

It occurs to me on Henessey day that very few sporting events are known by their sponsors name. I can think of the Stella Artois in tennis (although I seem to think they've withdrawn now). In cricket we used to have Gillette and more latterly the Nat West trophy, but can we think of any others where an event is uniquely known by its sponsors name?

Sun Alliance Chase

It occurs to me on Henessey day that very few sporting events are known by their sponsors name. I can think of the Stella Artois in tennis (although I seem to think they've withdrawn now). In cricket we used to have Gillette and more latterly the Nat West trophy, but can we think of any others where an event is uniquely known by its sponsors name?

the "Paddy Power" Gold Cup

I think the Heineken Cup probably does qualify now. Originally it was known as the European Cup but I detect the sponsors name has replaced it to the extent that if you asked an average sports fan about who might win the Heineken they'd know what you're talking about.

The same I fear can't be said for the other nominations which are far too confined to the insular world of racing. I'd be very surprised if people knew what the Sun Alliance was outside of life assurance, as indeed it would be interesting to see if anyone could tell you who won the Paddy Power or where it was held, although most sports fans could probably guess it was related to racing given that its a bookie sponsoring. In the UK at least I'd be reasonably confident the same would apply to the Lexus. I do believe however, (becuase i half tested it last year) that the Hennessey is the exception due in no small part to its duration of support.

The crucial issue is that the event has to be known by its sponsors name first and foremost, and the secondary issue is that it has to achieve a recognition beyond its tight constituency in order to have registered the level of brand awareness

Last edited:
Back