Racing For Change

I wish to God that riding really were more easily and cheaply available, Del. With lessons coming in at around the £25 a go mark, horses can only still be seen as the rich family's preserve. One of my friends' young neices has shown a huge amount of natural potential, but the family has just split and there's no way lessons can continue.

I think there are so many social knock-on benefits - I used to ride with a bunch of very mixed kids, some from well-off families, some from what might politely be called working class, but who were mostly rough as a badger's arse. (Although never having petted a badger's arse, that might be a cruel slur on their botties.) We all had our animals at the same municipal stables, rode together, showed off and fell off in front of each other, made unusual alliances through our common interest, and had beltingly good childhoods and teen years. Okay, so one or two went off to get done for car stealing or other sidelines later, but we had a great kinship which has lasted right now into our retirement years for many of us. Nothing at all to do with what kind of family we came from, how big or 'umble our home was - it was all about a love of riding and the buzz of going very fast and sometimes exchanging war stories. We took part in gymkhanas, shows, showjumping, but mostly just went off riding for the fun, not the trophies.

Now this took place years ago in the middle of the Dark Continent, not the UK, but when you look at old books on childhoods in the 1920s, 30s, etc., kids rode rough ponies and even London had its riding schools, where you could muck out in exchange for rides. (I bet no-one remembers Lilo Blum? Riding school in Rotten Row, and a racehorse owner, too.)

Municipalities could do a helluva lot towards giving urban kids these chances - rather than shooting the amount of Dartmoor ponies that are being killed off at present for meat, bring in a bunch and let kids learn how to work with them for free. I'm sure there are still plenty of people and companies who'd sponsor them, simply because of the horsey connection. Should I write to Richard Branson?

My take of RFC is that they want to achieve something but don't know what that something is. As a result a lot of money might be spent to little purpose.

I’ll return to the comparison with ‘Premier League’, UK professional football was facing declining support in the 80’s but a number of clubs decided to take control of their game and the Premier League was born.

I understand the notion of supporter involvement but if the aim is to generate a healthier 'betting' industry with all the consequential benefits i.e. breeding, owning, training etc, I don't see any link with this objective and teaching more young people to ride.

Betting shops have changed out of all recognition from the smoky halls of the 80’s and 90’s but seem to attract fewer ‘racing’ punters.

If there’s too much of something, its devalued.

So, reduce racing e.g. take out Monday and Tuesday racing. Plan for proper races of value and spectacle Wednesday thru’ Sunday, with the odd exception of bank holiday and festival. An interesting outcome might be that trainers/owners have to run their better horses more.

Develop more very low cost ‘tote’ type pool bets

The outcome might tick the boxes for a successful sporting event (I think this tick box list was developed by Business/Management Schools in America):

Have you got the stadia – yes
Have you got the spectacle – yes
Have you got spectator allegiance - yes
Have you got the ‘champions’ on show – yes

My views, and I love our UK turf racing scene - MR2

Aha! Now, there's one very good point in there, Monty (not that it isn't all good!) - ".... trainers/owners have to run their better horses more". Now, wouldn't that be nice? Instead of filling the schedules with Class 5 and 6 gee-gees, all well and good for the betting halls, let's see more of the Class 4 and well above turning out more than three or four precious times a season.

Ally those days with 'specials' - cheaper or even free entrances, family-oriented events around the course, a live band and dancing or even a disco afterwards (free), baby and toddler creches so Mum and Dad can live a little, free bus services from the local depot and train stations...

And special teaching sessions throughout the morning beforehand for riding youngsters on horses bought and maintained by the British Racing School. Advertise it big time that there will be, say, 10 horses on tap to give youngsters under 16 their first taste of getting astride, up to those who might've done a bit of riding but want to go into racing. Start building real careers through courses at colleges and unis, not just the haphazardness of apprentices for the bulimically thin, or cheap labour mucking out and cadging the odd trot around. RfC cost millions, I'm told by a reliable source, to put together - that money could be diverted now into sponsoring Racing Studies courses.

Last edited:
You can be a 9-stone kid whacking the old leather, or punting from the 50-yard line, but you're already 7lbs too heavy to ride out. And that's the weight you'd have to keep to all of your working life, unless you evolve into box-driving or non-riding THL if you 'balloon' to 10 stone!

Sorry Kri, I'm not picking on you, honest! This max 8st7lbs to ride out/work in a yard as a lad is bit of a myth nowadays. True, there are some fussy flat yards that insist on their staff being 8st7lbs or less but they are getting fewer and farther between nowadays. A lot of the flat yards will take anyone up to 9st and some will allow up to 9st7lbs. They just won't be so keen to have the heavier ones ride the yearlings and two year olds early on. The jump yards mainly aren't so bothered about the weight of the lads and will happily take on people up to 10st7lbs at least. The 11 stoners might struggle in some yards but I know plenty of yards (especially point to point yards, let's face it they carry 12st in their race) who'll take on a lad of that weight if they're a good rider.

Last edited:
I'm always happy to be corrected by them-wot-knows, Shadz - no problem! I suppose I've based it on seeing ads which state weights for work riders at 8st 7lbs or 'no more than 9st'. As for the NH yards, I should've realised they wouldn't be so light, having seen Gary Moore's string enough times out across Sheepcote Valley in Brighton and other trainers' NH's at work. That would make good sense anyway, as there'd be no need to carry the lighter weights.

In fact, I should've remembered back to 1964, where I'd applied for a job with a small NH yard in Sherborne, Dorset. I was asked what I weighed and I think it was then around 9st 6lbs and was told that was fine. Once again, family difficulties got in the way of me taking it up - I'd have had a nice cosy room in the Rattlebone Inn, too!

Aha! Now, there's one very good point in there, Monty (not that it isn't all good!) - ".... trainers/owners have to run their better horses more". Now, wouldn't that be nice? Instead of filling the schedules with Class 5 and 6 gee-gees, all well and good for the betting halls, let's see more of the Class 4 and well above turning out more than three or four precious times a season.

It is as much to do with the programme as anything. If you have a load of 85 rated chasers or 90 rated hurdlers there are races every day.

If you have a 126+ rated handicap chaser, (which means 0-125 races are out), there is a real problem finding a race for them. These are the better horses that everyone says need to run more. I know from experience, we own 3 in that category and it is a nightmare to find a race.

Last edited:
Thanks for that and welcome, wilkommen, and bienvenu to TalkingHorses, cjboy! Then that's surely yet another for RfC to wrap its collective brain around and address? It seems daft that at that high level, the horses can't be seen more just because there aren't enough high-grade races.

Excellent post venusian. Spot on

Racing probably has the lowest nuber of actual fans to daytrippers attending of any sport i can think of (bar Man utd)

Back