Racing Post Campaign

Because of my dealings with the new RP website and my feelings that racing itself was on a self-harming crusade, I took little notice of the changing face of BBC's racing coverage.

But, if I were to even contemplate that the BBC had ditched a great and spectacular sport and replaced it with Grand Pricks Racing - I could easily be drawn into the arguament.

Just imagine, and this is true, I was one of the last people to talk with Peter Mendleson before he announced his resignation - I think in 2001, the Beeb would be such an easier target.

(To put into into context, my meeting with Mendy was 20 hourse prior to his announcement and simply about DTI sponsorship :rolleyes:)

MR2

I would be very surprised if Mottershead weren't reading the forums - I'd consider it part of his job, to keep informed about what people are saying tbh.

I can't understand why people don't realise how widely read the main forums are, when it's clear from the list of topics that 1000 hits on a thread may only result in 100 replies, so that a whole a raft of people who never post are registered and reading. I know for a fact that that includes quite a few trainers, jockeys and others professionally involved...

Anyway, that aside, it has to be bad to lose any terrestrial coverage of racing, esp by the BBC which is funded by licence payers after all. People aren't going to develop a casual interest into something deeper unless they have access to racing and its manifold delights on a mainstream channel.

A petition has been started on the Downing Street Website, so please do sign it if based in the UK, and circulate the url to all your contacts:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/bbcracing/

PS Irish and others may also sign!!
Can someone please post the link on TRF as I'm not a member there

Last edited:
Part of the complaint the BBC has, or at least used to have, is that the racing season lacks a narrative. So if they want to cover the Derby why not make them cover the main trials as well? Ditto for the other big races they want to cover.

I owudl be very surprised if Mottershead weren't reading the forums - I'd consider it part of his job, to keep informed aobut what people are saying tbh.

I can't understand why people don't realise how widely read the main forums are, when it's clear from the list of topics that 1000 hits on a thread may only result in 100 replies, so that a whole a raft of people who never post are registered and reading. I know for a fact that that includes quite a few trainers, jockeys and others professionally involved...

I'm not sure what you mean Headstrong?

Simply, that a lot of people read the forums who never post on them -
This is bound to include people discussed from time to time

I know for example that one trianer who was being slagged off on FF (not by me!) was reading the thread. Another emailed me once to ask me to clarify something I'd written about him or rather one of his horses on here, soon after I joined

I thought my meaning would be clear from what I wrote above! There's no 'hidden meaning' if that's what you're after. It's up to individuals how conscious they are when posting of who might be reading their remarks LOL

So far as racing journalists are concerned, who need to keep their ear to the ground even if just to know what is currently concerning their readership, I would expect them to keep an eye on the forums, if I were their editor

I think the forum would be far better served by people meting out honest criticism (as long as it's not libellous, obviously) without concern as to whether the subject might be reading or not.

The BBC jumps coverage is much better than that of the Flat and it is that which is under threat . Dunwoody is a vast improvement on Pitman and Scudamore, Statto has now rightly got the boot .

If the BBC sacked Carson,Cochrane and Aussie Jim - and brought back Lydia and brought in Hoiles it would be much improved .

I know a couple of journalists not small ones either who read the forums, mainly to see people's opinions on things, which can trigger them to produce an article about it.

Bruce Millington certainly reads the Betfair one judged on his Editorial of last week - not that keen on it too by the sounds of it.

By Lee Mottershead6.11PM 14 MAR 2009
THE BBC will broadcast racing from British racecourses on at least 14 days next year after months of intense negotiations came to an end with the signing of a new three-year deal that unexpectedly guarantees coverage of the Coral Welsh National until 2012.

Racing UK, which has been talking with the BBC on behalf of most tracks, does not want to formally announce that the BBC contract has been sealed until ongoingdiscussions with Channel 4 are concluded, but the Racing Post can reveal details of an agreement that assures the national broadcaster continued access to the Grand National, Derby and Royal Ascot.
In future, the BBC's racing year will begin in April with the three days of the Grand National meeting. Its next action is booked for June, when Epsom's Derby and Oaks cards will be televised prior to the five days of Royal Ascot.
One day of racing will be shown in each of the following three months, with Ascot's King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, Shergar Cup and Queen Elizabeth II Stakes Saturdays all part of the new contract. Ascot is also hoping the BBC will show the Sundays after the King George and Queen Elizabeth II meetings on its BBC Interactive 'red button' channel.

Channel4 had great figures for the Gold Cup:

By Paul Eacott5.26PM 15 MAR 2009
ONE in four viewers watching terrestrial television on Friday afternoon tuned into watch Kauto Star's historic win in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
Channel 4 Racing's live broadcast on Friday attracted a peak audience of 1.7m, 26 per cent of the market share, an increase on the previous year's figure of a high of 1.2m or 19.3 per cent share.

The average for Friday's afternoon four-hour broadcast was 1.2m, a 50 per cent increase on the average of 800,000 who tuned in 12 months earlier. Peak figures for the other live broadcasts were largely on a par with 2008, Tuesday's figure of 1.3m was the same as the year before, the same figure also tuned in on Thursday, while Wednesday's 1.4m peak represented a 200,000 rise from 12 months earlier when racing at Cheltenham was abandoned.

A spokesperson for the broadcaster said: "Channel 4 is delighted with these terrific audience figures."
Friday's primetime re-run of the Gold Cup was also a hit with viewers, with some 2m tuning into to watch the race at 7.25pm, a massive jump on the figure from 12 months earlier when the re-screening of Denman's win at a slightly later time attracted 500,000.

I think the Kauto/Denman rematch really captured the public's imagination. it sold itself. Many once-a-year Grand National punters seemed genuinely interested in the build up.

Back