Racing Today

betsmate

At the Start
2:35 Newbury is an interesting race. The market is headed by a returning Delegator, but my faith in Godolphin's handling of big money purchases immediately makes me look for value elsewhere. Awzaan couldn't have been more of a disappointment for the Johnston stable in the 2000G and I'm not sure what to make of his comeback run. If he progresses back towards his 2yo form then must have a big chance in this listed race. Otherwise there seems to be plenty of dead-wood in the race. An outsider that caught my eye though is Code Of War. Alain Royer-Dupre's only runner in the UK today, with Jimmy Fortune on his back. A handful of wins in the French Provinces and only out of the front two once in six runs - could be anything but at 25/1 more appealing then several of the handicappers and stepping-up sprinters around the same price.

I was very surprised to see Rainbow Peak at odds on in the following race.

I found it hard to pick between Campanologist, Halicarnassus and Dangerous Midge, so I have dutched them at combined odds of 11/8 at a combination of Ladbrokes and Hills. Total stake just over a ton.

Campanologist and Monitor Closely both have form such that I would have expected to see them shorter than Rainbow Peak.

That was a super effort from Delegator - trapped wide and forced to challenge earlier than usual. Along way from his best but they did say he should improve for it.

I wish pundits would think before opening their mouths. The usually estimable Eddie Fremantle pronounced that " Delegator is not a horse that is ever going to win very far " - give me strength . He won the Craven by five lengths .

It was a very good comeback run but with no penalty in a listed race if you cannot beat Sir Gerry a head - you are not going to be competitive in the Foret or even the Challenge .

Interesting to see how relevant the ability to handle the dip is at Newmarket . Ardour just now didn't seem to and then flew up the rising ground.

It is a real test for two year olds - always a few running about and getting unbalanced down the hill

Last edited:
Pretty strong word / money about for Rebel Fitz in the bumper at Listowel;)

Now, now leave the Winters horses alone in the betting. They are for the Winters extended family only. A few bookmakers in the Cork area might be closed down after that.

With respect Ardross, Eddie Freemantle has forgotten more about racing than the majority know about it.

Oh, and I posted that Dangerous Midge would go close last night!!!!!

Last edited:
Which is probably why he described him as "usually estimable".

It is a pity they couldn't get a run into Delegator earlier - the Foret is likely to come too quickly for him now so on to the Challenge Stakes I guess with a look at the Breeders Cup mile again?

I wish pundits would think before opening their mouths. The usually estimable Eddie Fremantle pronounced that " Delegator is not a horse that is ever going to win very far " - give me strength . He won the Craven by five lengths .

Actually - and this is for you too, Galileo - he won the Craven by 2 3/4 lengths.

Ok, he won the Celebration Mile by over 7 lengths, but was later disqualified for being drugged up at the time. On balance, the horse tends to be in the mix but not one that is prone to hack up, which is most probably what Eddie meant. I'm sorry but especially considering that Eddie is a walking form book, I'd take his opinion on racing over Ardross' any day of the week. No need at all to be so derogatory.

Probably helped a bit by the 2nd wandering around (I thought he was about to try to RO at the last and head off to the stables), but 4l is a good margin, and he was fast and pretty fluent. Ruby rode his wotsits off heading the others, but the horse went clear nicely - and straight, which helped!

Back