Racing UK

Desert Orchid

Senior Jockey
I'm thinking about taking out a subscription to RUK.

I don't have satellite but our 3 TVs are Freeview (& 'HD ready').

Does the subscription allow me to watch RUK on any/all of the TVs (ie does this count as just one platform)?

I'd want to watch on my main TV but if that has been bagsed I might want to slope off into the other room to watch it.

I'd also like to be able to watch it on my laptop (don't have a PC or tablet) if necessary.

Do I need any other devices?

Also, I tend to use the RUK website to view past races. I can now only watch the closing stages since they went subscription-only. Would I be able to access the past results/replays via Freeview?

I have to say, there's a bit of me says not to give the bastirts my money since they use an 0844 number for enquiries...

Any help gratefully appreciated.

All you'd need is a HDMI cable to watch on one of your tv's via your Laptop.

I don't have Racing UK but I can watch all the races via video form on the Sporting Life website because I have a SkyBet account.

RUK replays are free with 365 as well. Personally (if I had the choice) I'd go with the subscription as you'll get it in better quality than the online streams.

You could 'possibly' get a TV card for your laptop and then a transmitter to plug into your cable/sky, and a receiver to plug into the TV card, then you'd get good quality on the laptop. It would be a **** about though, and I'm not even sure if you can get a plug in TV card for laptops.

Last edited:
All you'd need is a HDMI cable to watch on one of your tv's via your Laptop.

I don't have Racing UK but I can watch all the races via video form on the Sporting Life website because I have a SkyBet account.

a) My laptop doesn't have an HDMI port (which probably explains why I got it so cheap!)

b) I have a skybet account. Don't you need to have a bet in order to see the races? I'm more interested in past races than live ones at the moment.

RUK replays are free with 365 as well. Personally (if I had the choice) I'd go with the subscription as you'll get it in better quality than the online streams.

You could 'possibly' get a TV card for your laptop and then a transmitter to plug into your cable/sky, and a receiver to plug into the TV card, then you'd get good quality on the laptop. It would be a **** about though, and I'm not even sure if you can get a plug in TV card for laptops.

a) Are those the full replays, CPG?

b) I don't have satellite or cable.

b) I have a skybet account. Don't you need to have a bet in order to see the races? I'm more interested in past races than live ones at the moment.

No you don't need to bet. I watch the races I'm interested in later on the same day, don't know how far back in the past you can view races.

Past RUK races from 09 onwards are available on the SL website f.o.c., with the choice of full race or closing stages. More recently, they have added many ATR races too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, folks. Been checking things out. I have those sites bookmarked but didn't know they offered that much. Some of that stuff is a godsend to me!

There's a thing called google chrome cast just been on telly DO, that might work?

And don't be silly, why on earth would they show live racing without getting something out of it??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RUK broadcasting and punditry is the best and if you're a proper racing fan, the £20 a month will be worth it.

Got a letter through the day from RUK on Saturday offering coverage for£10 per month for a year on 29th may only
Seriousley contemplaring it
Missing sport badly since we got rid of Sky.

Got a letter through the day from RUK on Saturday offering coverage for£10 per month for a year on 29th may only

This is the time of year when sky start pushing for customer. With a bit of playing about (if you are a new customer - which I believe is if you haven't been with them for 12 months, or obviously your wife/gf would be a new customer) you can get the entertainment & sky sports package to average under £15 a month rather than the full price of £43.50, know it doesn't help with RUK but might be worth thinking about if you miss it.

This is the time of year when sky start pushing for customer. With a bit of playing about (if you are a new customer - which I believe is if you haven't been with them for 12 months, or obviously your wife/gf would be a new customer) you can get the entertainment & sky sports package to average under £15 a month rather than the full price of £43.50, know it doesn't help with RUK but might be worth thinking about if you miss it.

It was under the gf's name(wife in August:)), So if I reordered it under my name would I be classed as a new customer and entitled to that deal?

yes, especially if it was in her maiden name. It takes a little playing about with cashback, but thats what it averages to, do you have any sky services, phone or broadband?

Yeah phone line and broadband
Still in her name as the big day is august coming

ok, as long as you do it in your name it should be ok, you will be classed as a new customer.

You need to go through Topcashback to get the cashback for this to work. Its mega important to clear your cookies before you start, as if you have clicked on a sky banner or been to the site recently you won't get cashback if theres a competing cookie on your system.

Click the link, if you aren't already a member, sign up, then search for sky, then go to sky new customers. You obviously need to be logged into TCB.

Click the 'get cashback' next to The Sports Bundle - Save £130 with 6 months half-price on, plus a £75 Bill Credit!. Cashback for that deal is £147.

That should take you to the Sky site.

The cost of the deal is £21.75 a month for 6 months, then £43.50 for the next 6. So the total cost will be 21.75 x 6 = £130.50 + 43.50 x 6 = £261 whick is a total of £391.50.

You get a £75 bill credit from Sky, so £391.50 - £75 = £316.50, and you get cashback from TCB of £147 which makles the total over the year as £169.50 / 12 = £14.13 a month.

I know its a little hassle and you have to wait for the cashback a couple of months, but its saving almost £30 a month for about 20 mins work.

I'm thinking about taking out a subscription to RUK.

I don't have satellite but our 3 TVs are Freeview (& 'HD ready').

Does the subscription allow me to watch RUK on any/all of the TVs (ie does this count as just one platform)?

I'd want to watch on my main TV but if that has been bagsed I might want to slope off into the other room to watch it.

I'd also like to be able to watch it on my laptop (don't have a PC or tablet) if necessary.

Do I need any other devices?

Also, I tend to use the RUK website to view past races. I can now only watch the closing stages since they went subscription-only. Would I be able to access the past results/replays via Freeview?
I have to say, there's a bit of me says not to give the bastirts my money since they use an 0844 number for enquiries...

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Use SportingLife, they've got full replays for both RUK and ATR you just have to have an active SkyBet account to view them, you don't even need money in the account, just a login.

I cancelled my subscription after Cheltenham but this has tempted me back in & will be signing for a year

Use SportingLife, they've got full replays for both RUK and ATR you just have to have an active SkyBet account to view them, you don't even need money in the account, just a login.

Thanks for this, Jim. I've been using it a lot since you alerted me to it. I now feel I don't need RUK etc. I don't usually watch racing midweek. I just like to see re-runs to assess the form as accurately as possible.

Just realised I'll be charged 5p per min to hold on. I reckon it's a RUK scam to get back at ex-subscribers, but serves me right for being a tight arse!

Back