Rainbow View

wouldn't take home gallops that seriously, they are not the be all and end all of a horse's career its what they do on the track. Rainbow View can't wait to see her!

Surely the gallop was after 4.56? More likely the punter was armed with the misinformation that Rainbow View would be taken out rather than Fantasia.

Presumebly the same account that also backed Fantasia at 10's?

Could it be 'Man on night-shift sets up automatic position and returns home to discover he's backed Fantasia for his Betfair balance'?

Last edited:
"Man receives text telling him Strawbridge going to pull his horse out of Guineas on Monday....."

What do you mean he has two in the race?!?!

Serious Attitude was hardlymind blowing but that was a great call on Rainbow View and hope you laid it Flame

That is really a bit disrespecful to the winner and the race itself, Steve.

Anyone taking the view that is was just the ground that beat her would presumably like the clerk of the course to water the ground every year just so the odds on shot could romp home?

Imo today was a good day for racing, showed everyone what a lottery it can be at times - even the classics.

That is really a bit disrespecful to the winner and the race itself, Steve.

Anyone taking the view that is was just the ground that beat her would presumably like the clerk of the course to water the ground every year just so the odds on shot could romp home?

Imo today was a good day for racing, showed everyone what a lottery it can be at times - even the classics.

Not disrespectful at all. The winner is a lot better than most of us expected, but it clearly suited her better coming off the all-weather.

No reason to bury Rainbow View though she'll be fine back on decent ground. RV was the most uncomfortable of any on that going today.

Last edited:
I was disappointed Fantasia was pulled out and one has to wonder if they were apparently worried beforehand about RV and fast ground why they did not swop them round ? OK the ante post punters would have whinged but that is the risk you take .

I wouldn't credit the Betfairpunter with particular nous until we see RV on better ground . I tend at the moment to think that perhaps it was a combination of her contemporaries catching up with her as well as the ground - if she runs off with the Oaks however ...

I wouldn't credit the Betfairpunter with particular nous until we see RV on better ground . I tend at the moment to think that perhaps it was a combination of her contemporaries catching up with her as well as the ground - if she runs off with the Oaks however ...
I think Luke was being sarcastic.

Interesting that Gosden says he might have pulled RV out if she hadn't have been such a hot favourite (...wouldn't have stopped some):

John Gosden blamed the quick ground on the Rowley Mile for Rainbow View's disappointing effort as the odds-on favourite in the stanjames.com 1000 Guineas at Newmarket.
The George Strawbridge-owned filly jumped off as the 8-11 market leader in the Classic after an unbeaten juvenile campaign and trouble-free build-up to the race.
She remained calm in the preliminaries but failed in fire once out of the stalls and finished fifth under Jimmy Fortune.
Gosden said: "She was in good form, she'd worked well. I didn't have any concerns about the filly training on. She'd certainly trained on according to her work.
"She hated the ground. It's nobody's fault. We've had an incredibly dry spring here. It was just good to firm yesterday.
"They were due to get rain last night, didn't get it and I'm afraid Jimmy said after three and a half to four furlongs she was in trouble.
"She was hopping off the ground and changing her legs. Her action got higher and higher and he knew she was loathing it.
"The last little bit uphill she ran on a bit, but it was more a question of her just finishing on her class - she was not liking the ground.
"I have to be honest with you, if she wasn't the odds-on favourite I probably wouldn't have run her.
"I think she will go for the Oaks but she is in the Irish Guineas and if she can get her toe in then she might run there. I don't think there will be a problem staying a mile and a half (in the Oaks). She is by Dynaformer and the mother has produced a filly that stayed already. So I don't think the distance is an issue.
"The Oaks looks a good option and we'll see what the ground is like in Ireland. She's fine and we'll kick on."

Source: PA

looks to me like she needs easy ground

the ground yesterday wasn't as fast as it will be over the next few months on any track...so unless they water especially for her I can't see her winning any big ones

mind you..its raining here now :lol:

looks to me like she needs easy ground

the ground yesterday wasn't as fast as it will be over the next few months on any track...so unless they water especially for her I can't see her winning any big ones

mind you..its raining here now :lol:

It was very fast at Newmarket yesterday and as fast as it's likely to get on any Grade 1 track for the rest of the season.

She does have a very round action though, which indicates that plenty of cut will suit her very well.

It was very fast at Newmarket yesterday and as fast as it's likely to get on any Grade 1 track for the rest of the season.

She does have a very round action though, which indicates that plenty of cut will suit her very well.

The times didn't really suggest it was that fast though..they were wind assisted and I only got the ground 30 lb per mile Fast..without the wind..probably 20-25 lbs fast...yes..clearly Good/Firm..but not Firm by any means

I am surprised no one else here has a view on the going on Sunday tbh..Warbler?

I would be surpised if anyone that makes speed figures would make the going any faster than middle G/F..slower if you knock some off for wind assistance on Sunday.

Its a good job they don't run G1's at Bath..most races would end up with them all pulled up :lol:

The times didn't really suggest it was that fast though..they were wind assisted and I only got the ground 30 lb per mile Fast..without the wind..probably 20-25 lbs fast...yes..clearly Good/Firm..but not Firm by any means

I am surprised no one else here has a view on the going on Sunday tbh..Warbler?

I would be surpised if anyone that makes speed figures would make the going any faster than middle G/F..slower if you knock some off for wind assistance on Sunday.

Its a good job they don't run G1's at Bath..most races would end up with them all pulled up :lol:

The fastest going doesn't always produce the fastest times though. Horse tend to look after themselves on very fast ground, not letting themselves down fully on it.

I agree Steve that horses don't let themselves down if they aren't happy..but when horses act on fast ground they produce fast times.

To put this in context...Newmarkets watering policy doesn't appear to allow the ground to get anywhere near as fast as what it used to get..

I'll give an example of what really fast ground at Newmarket can be like compared with Sunday

17 October 1991

Perfolia carrying 9-5 rated 93 ran the 7f in 82.24

using the same calculation I used for the 30 lb fast on Sunday

the ground that Perfolia ran on was riding 52 lb fast

now that is what I call REALLY fast ground

thats why I don't believe it was REALLY fast yesterday

if RV couldn't act on yesterdays ground then she will need cut..not just Good ground

Last edited:
Back