Ralph Beckett

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he had of just said this in the first place. To be honest I am not sure I believe him now...sounds like something to just made up to make everything stop talking about what actually went wrong. Makes no sense that they would not tell the public that this was the problem- a bad scope?

From The Sportinglife:

Beckett also explained why he had been reluctant to reveal the full nature of the setback which saw Look Here miss the Yorkshire Oaks in August.
"Following a good piece of work, she pulled up slightly distressed so we had her scoped and the subsequent results ruled her out of running in the Yorkshire Oaks," added Beckett.
"With the benefit of hindsight, I wish now that we had expanded on the reason for her missing the race.
"But as soon as she was on course to run in the St Leger, I was reluctant to do so because I felt that we would be making excuses even before she had run.
"Indeed, to have cast doubt on her health then would have been misleading.
"She had fully recovered from the problem when we went public and confirmed the plan to run her at Doncaster, and by then it seemed pointless to raise questions when there were none in my mind as to her well-being."

I'd take him on his word too; he just comes across as a bit inexperienced in how to handle it.

He's either severely lacking in intelligence or lying; there is no logic behind this sequence of events.

Im not sure that he should be called a liar but its very muddled and he should have been a whole lot more transparent at the time. Not good at all.

You might expect this from some trainers, but hes suprised me here

He's either severely lacking in intelligence or lying; there is no logic behind this sequence of events.

I can assure you he is very intelligent, and I'm also certain he's not lying.

He just doesn't live in a world of spin and intrigue like most of you do - he's a very straight guy and usually very open.

Don't forget this is his first high-profile horse, he's never had to deal with this kind of thing before, ie intense media interest

I had a horse trained with Ralph Beckett a few years back, and speaking as I found (and still find), he is probably one of the nicest, most articulate trainers around. I would see absolutely nothing sinister in his comments. Much the case he is damned if he did and damned if he didn't. A thoughly nice person who has been thrown into the spot light and where every word has been looked into to see if anyone can gain any information from his comments. I know what I would do if I were him in future.

I know what I would do if I were him in future.

Be open, tell the truth and realise his position as a trainer of a horse high in the ante-post betting for a classic, and also the importance of retaining the betting public to racing and not losing them to other sports?

This is a very, very silly and stupid comment..

The very fact that so many on here automatically assumed Beckett has been 'lying' says it all imo. I'll leave others to decide whether my remark was either stupid or silly. Like Kathy I do actually know the man!

Some of you obviously have no idea how your remarks come across to the unbiased. It's often quite like the Betfair forum on here!

I kneel down before anyone who has the privilege to know Rafe.

I am therefore unqualified to offer any opinion on such a person.

Good friend, is he? Or just someone you said hi to once?

:)

Ralph is a friend, but not a close friend, either of mine or of Kathy's, but we have both found him very straight, and know other people who know him better to have the same opinion. I know several of his owners and of his close friends, who include Tom Dascombe.

Personal knowledge of trainers does count for a lot imo, as does a general concensus regarding a man's character. That does not imply bias, it implies a considered opinion based on some actual knowledge rather than on feverish speculation

Last edited:
Taking this thread in a slightly different direction ... with regard to how they keep the public informed, I think Godolphin and Paul Nicholls are shining examples and are a credit to the sport.

No one is questioning if he is a nice person or not. In his interviews he comes across as a fine person- but that is not the point.

Ralph is a friend, but not a close friend, either of mine or of Kathy's, but we have both found him very straight, and know other people who know him better to have the same opinion. I know several of his owners and of his close friends, who include Tom Dascombe.

Personal knowledge of trainers does count for a lot imo, as does a general concensus regarding a man's character. That does not imply bias, it implies a considered opinion based on some actual knowledge rather than on feverish speculation

The actual knowledge was all in the public domain - that being the refusal to divulge the nature of the injury.

Hence, the public (& not just those lucky enough to count rafe as a friend) are perfectly entitled to form an educated opinion on his behaviour in this matter (not on his entire character)

No one is questioning if he is a nice person or not. In his interviews he comes across as a fine person- but that is not the point.

Yes he should tell the media as much as Ap does :D

Andrew your going some super moderating there, keep up the good work !

No, take the thread to your rudeness about a trainer and towards a couple of people who have defended him, Andrew. I don't think you have done yourself any favours on this thread demanding that as a punter you have the right to know everything about a particular horse and it's injury or setback.

I would certainly not advocate Ralph lying, I doubt he would to be honest but I certainly respect his reasons for not divulging any more than the owner wanted, whatever those reasons are. A trainer is employed by the owner, and if a trainer upsets that owner, they could well move the horse to a trainer who respects their wishes.

I am afraid your comments, as a punter, make you look a little naive. Continue with your witch hunt against him but I think you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.

What was so funny, Gareth or are you just trying to increase your number of postings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back