Red Rock Canyon - Will he finally break his duck?!

It's not exactly a third world racing nation Roddy - plenty of top European jockeys go over there to ride in the Indian Derby amongst other races. It wouldn't be a Group 1 country but it's decent enough and they're trying to improve their stock by purchasing decent European racehorses - similar to what South Africa did a few years ago when buying the GP De Paris winner Fort Wood who's turned out to be an absolute sensation down there.

India's been improving its stock for decades, and I'm afraid you'd be very wrong about your perception of them, Roddy O. Perhaps you haven't been to a meeting at the Bombay/Mumbai Turf Club? You ought to go, then - it's a beautiful, traditional place, very well-supported by sporting Indians of all castes, and providing as many facilities for the horses as you'd expect at a decent course here. I didn't have an opportunity to visit their studs when I was in India, as I was on business, but you'll probably have noticed some of their advertisements in Owner & Breeder magazine from time to time. They're generally a lighter-framed but very sound animal, like the South African-breds, and I'd urge you to shrug off your bias until you've had a look around for yourself. You'll be very pleasantly surprised.

You could equally say, imagine finishing up in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Greece, or Uzbekistan - but unless you've been to those countries and seen the facilities for yourself, I'd hold off until you do.

South Africa has been breeding from British stock for many decades - back to the 1920s, in fact. You can look back through any amount of their runners in the 1960s and see the crosses to Hyperion, Nearco, etc. and their descendants.

Last edited:
I know an eccentric elderly lady who has a cabinet stuffed full of trophies from the Derby and other races in India. Pretty impressive silver. She has talked about the history of racing out there and it sounds great, would love to go out.

I think a lot of the places are improving greatly and some of our lesser horses do well at stud there - it's all about improving the breed, where ever you are. Quite a few years ago the Thoroughbred Breeders Association did a trip to Turkey and said it was enjoyable. We've sold horses to Greece and kept in touch, they have won, and are being well looked after.

I shrewdly backed him ew on Saturday morning with a firm going 1/4 odds 3 places.Needless to say the inevitable happened,a non runner ,left with 7 runners and RRC finishes 3rd.

Back