Remounting banned

If I want a bloke with an uplifting organ (strange or not), I'll know who to contact then. Thanks for the, er, tip, Rory.

As far as I can see, only one Irish contributor on the thread is against the rule - all others appear pretty much in favour of it's introduction.

I didn't count, was just wondering if that might have been a reason for what someone else seemed to think was a difference in the postings here as compared with other forums. Irish NH racing doesn't seem to be as subject to PC attitudes / PR-led "modernisation" as UK racing.

Krizon,
You seem to have totally gotten the wrong end of the stick on this thread.

Great posts GH!

For clarification; my view as expressed as to the differing opinions on different forums had the square root of bugger all to do with the nationality of posters. If I were to suggest why I thought the balance of opinion was slightly different I'd probably say I'd think it was more to do with this place containing a high percentage of gamblers as opposed to, say, TRF which does have a fair amount of more left wing liberal types (for want of a better description; I didn't want to offend by using phrases like tree huggers! :lol:) , in my opinion. Which is certainly no criticism either, merely an observation.

Is it the one you were using to stir s**t with, Hamm? Here you are, you can have it back...

Great posts, Shadow Leader!

If I were to suggest why I thought the balance of opinion was slightly different I'd probably say I'd think it was more to do with this place containing a high percentage of gamblers as opposed to, say, TRF which does have a fair amount of more left wing liberal type

Can't you be both?

Of course you can, but both scenarios can be seen as polar opposites so it's not as common to be both as to be one or the other!

Ah, I'll have to remember that one. Cheers!!

Actually, I like that one a lot. I know a lot of pony patters, it's very apt!!

Is it the one you were using to stir s**t with, Hamm? Here you are, you can have it back...

Great posts, Shadow Leader!

I'm not stirring anything. GH's posts have been a joy to read, and just because you are embarassing yourself in response to them should not mean I should refrain from saying so.

Have a bon journee :p

What is really sad, is that Manorson who won the race after the fancied runners fell, broke down after the race and has had to be put down. Always had dodgy legs... I wonder would he have been PU if the others hadn't fallen? - or not pushed out so far? The whole subject is a bit of a mares' nest...

dreadful for the owners and trainer, and for Choc

Very sad news Headstrong. I hope Petrosian is ok too. I did not enjoy seeing Donal Devereux's ride on Particle who refused at the last in the 5.05. He hit the horse who was clearly out on his feet and had nothing left to give too many times including down the shoulder. I bet this lad would have got on again had he fell off.

I can see the day coming when we have a race and no winner!!!

When McCoy remounted Family Business at Southwell in '02 all the others had fell,pu,ref or unseated.

Also, if we get another heavy National, aka Red Marauders race, we might not even get a third and fourth.

Agreed, it would be awful nto to get finishers in the GN. In the Red Marauder GN the two very senior jocks who re-mounted went together very steadily after agreeing not to race until after the last - very sensible imo. That year, it was lashing down and they all got very wet and muddy so they slipped off their saddles as much as anything. It's hard to say on over steep fences in such conditions. But try explaining that to the pony-patters and to mad b*tch journos like that idiotic Liz Jones in the Mail (she's a vegetarian).

Particle did the sensible thing - he knew he wouldn't get over the fence. But he was favourite and can you imagine the furore there would have been if the Conditional had PU before it? I didn't think the kid was being that hard on him, just trying to cajole him into taking the fence; he wans't hurting him. I agree though it was horrible to watch and I was praying the horse would refuse - we'd had one 'tired fall' at the fence before

Luke just speaking on it now, and saying what I have just said!

Agreed, it would be awful nto to get finishers in the GN. In the Red Marauder GN the two very senior jocks who re-mounted went together very steadily after agreeing not to race until after the last - very sensible imo. That year, it was lashing down and they all got very wet and muddy so they slipped off their saddles as much as anything. It's hard to say on over steep fences in such conditions. But try explaining that to the pony-patters and to mad b*tch journos like that idiotic Liz Jones in the Mail (she's a vegetarian).

Particle did the sensible thing - he knew he wouldn't get over the fence. But he was favourite and can you imagine the furore there would have been if the Conditional had PU before it? I didn't think the kid was being that hard on him, just trying to cajole him into taking the fence; he wans't hurting him. I agree though it was horrible to watch and I was praying the horse would refuse - we'd had one 'tired fall' at the fence before

Luke just speaking on it now, and saying what I have just said!

Jump racing is what it says on the tin. Aside from welfare issues (they are genuine imo) if your mount falls or if the jockey comes out of the saddle well forgive me for thinking they should be ruled out anyway.

Particle was anything but a tired horse. Look at the jump at the second last, he didn't touch a twing. He dogged it furiously and any other suggestion is laughable.

Oh for f's sake - he was out on his legs! Almost going up and down on the spot
Do you ride, dj?

There are many people who think that anyone who wants to criticise a jockey isnt allowed to unless they also ride. Mostly these people have ridden themselves,but a long time ago - but like to make out that they are still riding,and therefore have a vast amount more knowledge than everyone else - and anyone elses opinion is wrong.

The ability to ride horses makes you no more able to pass comment about a jockey or horses performance than not riding. It might give you a slightly better insight into what is and isnt right to ask for - but having said that, bimbling about on "normal" horses is not the same as riding racehorses. Riding in a race is different again, as Im sure those on here who have actually done it would agree.

(and if those of us who do ride were banned from making "observations" about other riders, we'd lose out on an awful lot of bitching at shows ;) )

Last edited:
I'm not really understanding this talking in riddles lark. Are you saying trudij that you think Particle refused because he was tired?

Back