Retired racehorse in a bad way; advice please.

moehat

Senior Jockey
My friend keeps her horse at a yard where there's a retired racehorse. She contacted me today to say all of his feet hurt him. The vet has been out and wants to run tests but his new owner hasn't insured him [I know why????] and can't afford them. Are there any organisations that would help?? We can't get too involved; I daren't go to see him because I'd end up using my life savings to help him. Spoke to the last racing yard he was at; he had moved to another one that had closed down but they were really helpful and contacted the girl who looked after him there..they say he was never unsound so there isn't an ongoing underlying problem. His new owner would let him go to a charity of some kind if he could be helped; they're talking about putting him down. I guess that, as a racing fan I feel responsible when it's anything to do with racehorses.

I've just spoken to Greatwood; they were very helpful and said ROR sometimes have an emergency fund that can help people out so I've passed on their details. It's also been pointed out that it's often difficult to insure old retired racehorses anyway so there may be a reason for his lack of insurance. He was very thin when they took him on so it could be a laminitis due to feeding him up quickly. Feel really bad that he ran 11 times and now he's in this terrible predicament [the down side of racing].

A vet should be able to tell right away if a horse has laminitis - I certainly could! (and I'm only a vets daughter!) Although I am guessing if it is and its a bad case, then he may feel the bone in the foot has rotated and possibly requires an xray to confirm it (Trudi would be able to tell you more on this) Initially however, I would advise getting their farrier out to see what he says - tend to be cheaper than a vet in the first instance and has had 4 years training on feet! Whereabouts is this yard? There are plenty of other racehorse rehoming charities (some better than others!) - the one at Chard for instance which is excellent.
Big problem these days is that there are so many ex-racehorses on the market and many of the wrong people end up buying them as they are cheap. Once they get them home, they struggle to look after them. I see so many for sale at rock bottom prices on Facebook and some of the most unsuitable people asking "if they are suitable for a novice rider?" Er? NO - go and buy a plod! And then you look at the photos and some are not looking great to be honest. Also with the instigation of these Retired Racehorse classes, there is a bigger incentive for people to rehome them - just not always the right people!

Has been seen by the farrier [that was my first thought; there's not much that a good farrier or tooth man doesn't know]. We're in the Derby/Nottingham area. Sounds as though they are treating him for possible laminitis; stabled but going into a manege every so often. Only getting second hand information from my friend. Oh, it's 111 races not 11 [just saw my typo] so he was a very sound horse. Ran against the best in his time. Feel so sorry for him.

May need a referral to a remedial farrier then? It is treatable to my knowledge with the right corrective trimming and shoes fitted, correct diet and exercise regime.

Not surprised you feel sorry for him - I would too, its an incredibly painful condition. Laminitis can be quite a problem for TB broodmares.

I had said that I'd like to buy him some hay/food etc as a way of thanking him for all the races he's run [and to help the girl who saved him] but I can't afford vets fees. May do the lottery tomorrow; never know I might strike lucky!

Greatwood phoned when I was out today; speaking to them tomorrow. Maybe someone will be able to help him.My friend can't sleep for worrying about him.

If they can't help, try Carrie Humble http://www.carriehumble.com/ I have a lot of time for her - in fact an awful lot more than Greatwood to whom I paid 2 visits some years ago and they were a complete waste of time (once I was looking for a horse for a friend and once for myself - on both occasions I felt they made rather too many excuses and wanted just to set up an equine sanctuary rather than rehoming them - they may of course have changed since then).

Thanks jinny; I haven't heard from my friend today as to what's happening but I have told her to mention to the owner that there may be people out there that can help if it's too much for her.

I just wish I lived closer as I would have happily popped in for you. Di Arbuthnot at ROR would also give good advice I am sure.

That's really kind jinny; we're going to give it a few days and see if we can get a dialogue going with his owners. Doesn't help that he's co owned either.

Think his days are numbered; suspected rotated pedal bone [?]. My friend's keeping me in the loop as I said I was still prepared to hunt down some funding if treatment was possible.

Depending on the degree of rotation, laminitis can be managed with remedial farriery (support wedges, pads, heart bars), anti inflammatories and feed management. If the degree of rotation is too severe and the pedal bone has penetrated the hoof capsule then euthanasia is the kindest option in most cases.

Laminitis is easily diagnosed by a pounding digital pulse (taken just lateral to the back of the pastern), a very typical "rocked back" stance with the horse stiff legged and leaning back on it's heels and X-rays to reveal the degree of rotation, if any. It's not always caused by high feed levels - concussive and toxic laminitis are pretty common too.

I've sent that to my friend Miesque; I still haven't heard anything. I still think that one of the charities would step in and help but it's out of my control. At least I've tried, I guess and, if the worst comes to the worst I can inform the racing world of his demise and he'll be remembered. Not much help to him perhaps. The young girl that now owns him really has done her best for him but she has limited finances. Thanks again for your help.

.....my friends going to contact Carrie tomorrow...it's Chinese whispers if I try to do it. Fingers crossed [yet again].

Do you know who owned him while he was racing? A lot of owners really love their horses and would be most upset if they knew their old horse was in trouble. May be worth contacting them?

Tried that but he was a syndicate horse most of the time. Ran against some of the very best sprinters in his time. His last trainer had his licence taken away [wasn't Howard Johnson] but the people at the yard prior to that contacted them to find out if he had suffered any injury and they said he hadn't. They had only had him for a short time. His breeder wasn't in TRP having bred any more horses. I may go back further [Dandy Nicholls was one trainer] to see what they say. The girl that has him now did rescue him from being euthanized; the girl who owned him couldn't get him to put weight on. Maybe he just couldn't cope with the lack of routine etc. Being a sprinter he was on the go for most of his career. This is the side of racing that I try to forget about which is why I really would like to help him.

I've only just seen this ( the perils of a technophobe having tapatalk - I've not worked out how to see the folders yet, so i only get notified of the posts I've commented on)
If it is laminitis, regardless of the reason it's happened the basic treatment is pretty much the same - the vet is the only person who can advise and give any medicines for it, although you're never going to go far wrong with an incredibly deep bed right up to the door and regular small amounts of well soaked hay.
Nobody can possibly say what is going on inside a foot (until the changes are big) without X-rays. They are always a good idea anyway, because without them you don't know where anything is to be able to trim and shoe the hoof to help the horse. Heart bars ( be they plastic or metal) need precise placement to do their job - it's not a case of just slapping them on and hoping for the best. A good vet and a good farrier are your best friends in this kind of case, they work together for the good of the horse.
The other thing that X-rays can help with us when he can come off box rest - until his feet settle down and things are stable inside he really shouldn't be walking about, the laminae are still breaking down and if he does too much he can do a lot of damage.
You can nurse them back from rotated pedal bones, but it's not nice for anyone, it's expensive, it takes a long time and it's a lot of work - and that's before you get into the ( IMO more important) moral dilemma of "is it fair/is it kind" again - imprint shoes ( the plastic ones) are fantastic to help and Andy Pointon is a genius, but they are expensive and if the horse isn't insured for whatever reason then that can be very prohibitive. ( she should really sort that out if he comes through though - TBs are notoriously good at injuring themselves, it's not true that it's hard to insure them unless there's something she's not told you!)

It might be worth contacting the RSPCA - they do occasionally help people out with big bills ( it might be better for the vet to ring them though, the vet will carry a bit more weight on the phone than a concerned friend) although your friend will then run the risk of possibly being told to sign him over to them. ( they don't always) I'm not sure if World Horse Welfare have a fund to help the public with vets fees, they may well do, it's certainly worth asking - worst that will happen is that you are in the same situation as now. The blue cross don't do horses i'm pretty sure, but even if they did you have to fit their criteria, which are quite strict.

The weight loss is almost certainly ulcer related - there are treatments which vary in price (!) and effectiveness, but it's probably less pressing for him right now than helping his feet, we can deal with that later :)

IMO - the first thing to do is find a couple of hundred pounds (or negotiate a payment plan with the vet - 90% of them aren't unreasonable!) and get his feet X-rayed. At least then she will know what she's dealing with and where to go from there.

Shout if I can help - I'll have a think and see if I can come up with any other ideas to help with the money side of things... Good luck

Have passed all info onto my friend. His name, by the way is Bonnie Prince Blue. Grateful for all advice by the way.

He's had quite a few owners over the years but I really think its worth contacting both Middle Park Racing Syndicate and Koo's Racing http://www.koos-racing-club.com/ - I have a feeling that Koo came on here a bit - certainly goes on the Betfair Forum. I'd imagine there are members of both syndicates who would be willing to help a former horse in trouble. £20 here and then could build up - certainly worth a shot!

Koo's Racing
If memory serves, there's a fascinating background to the origins of that racing syndicate.
All of it built on an In-Running bet of £250 @ 1000/1 on the eventual winner by the astute and quick-fingered "Koo" on a horse which had been incorrectly called as a faller by the race-commentator -- whose name immediately escapes me.

Again have passed that on; I'm going away for a while soon so hope my friend will pass all this onto his current owner.

I'm afraid that Blue was pts on Tuesday [I've only just heard]. The vet thought that he had a fractured pedal bone [possibly both]. Not sure how he would have done that or how long he would have been injured. Anyway, his young owner was with him and is very upset; she and my friend said to thank everyone that tried to help. Unlike a lot of racehorses on the slippery slope he died being loved; tears were shed and he'll be remembered. I'm glad I met him but it's been a shock seeing the other side of racing.

Back