Retired racehorse in a bad way; advice please.

Sometimes it does more harm to them to try and mend them than the good you might do if it works. I'm a firm believer that putting a pet to sleep is the final, most loving thing an owner can do and it's genuinely the only thing we can do that is actually FOR them, rather than for our own gain. RIP Blue, you were loved.

Last edited:
Thanks trudij. It seems that his owner had had him checked for ulcers etc.[the first owner after racing was going to have him pts because of his weight loss; Shannon took him on and managed to get some weight on him]. Maybe if Ian McInnes stable hadn't been closed down they would have been able to find a more suitable home for him..he'd been with them for quite a while. At least we all tried and he didn't end up on a horse transporter going to heaven knows where.

When I left my last racing job I was going to bring one of "my" horses home with me, but he had gone very lame out on excercise two weeks before. I came home and was looking into transport when I had an email to say that they had decided to get the vets involved as the rest hadn't helped and there was no sign of an abscess despite poulticing him as well - the next email was to tell me that he had shattered his pedal bone up into his joint and while they would have operated for him to come to me, the prognoses for a comfortable life after was so small they didn't think it was fair on him to try.
Very sad, but we are lucky that we have the ability to stop animals suffering a life of pain, and a duty as their carers to do what is best for them.

We can only do what we believe to be right at the time - your friend sounds like she did it all the best she could, just sadly, sometimes it's not possible to win.

Back