RIP Vincent O'Brien

Not exhaustive, but:

138 Alleged
138 Nijinsky
136 Ballymoss
136 El Gran Senor
135 Sir Ivor
135 The Minstrel

Can only echo all that has already been posted.

My own insight on Vincent O'Brien, albeit secondhand, came to me from reading 'Horsetrader', which is actually a bio of Robert Sangster. To read chapter upon chapter on the great trainer was absorbing, and written so much better than the typical racing fare. Describing him evaluating the Minstrel was amazing, and he saw something in horses most, if not all, are unable to. A one off.

Derby riders will pay tribute to O'Brien

BY LEE MOTTERSHEAD3.00PM 2 JUN 2009

THE flags at Epsom were flying at half-mast on Tuesday in honour of the late Vincent O'Brien, who will be remembered formally on Investec Derby day, when the big-race riders will wear black armbands as a mark of respect to the legendary trainer.

Having first sought the approval of O'Brien's family, Epsom announced that the death of the six-time Derby-winning trainer will be marked by the reading of a tribute during the Classic's preliminaries. A lasting memorial to O'Brien is set to be decided and put in place before next year's Derby.

Epsom managing director Nick Blofeld said: "At our instigation, the Derby jockeys will be wearing black armbands and we will be staging a small tribute as the horses go to post for the Derby.

A lovely idea to show a sign of respect!

Derby riders will pay tribute to O'Brien

BY LEE MOTTERSHEAD3.00PM 2 JUN 2009

THE flags at Epsom were flying at half-mast on Tuesday in honour of the late Vincent O'Brien, who will be remembered formally on Investec Derby day, when the big-race riders will wear black armbands as a mark of respect to the legendary trainer.

Having first sought the approval of O'Brien's family, Epsom announced that the death of the six-time Derby-winning trainer will be marked by the reading of a tribute during the Classic's preliminaries. A lasting memorial to O'Brien is set to be decided and put in place before next year's Derby.

Epsom managing director Nick Blofeld said: "At our instigation, the Derby jockeys will be wearing black armbands and we will be staging a small tribute as the horses go to post for the Derby.

Its always sad when someone who has played such a big part in a sport you follow dies..from a selfish point of view a little bit of your own life is removed. There have been a few that have left that feeling through my life when they died..Shankly, Clough, Best....Ali because of his illness ...left that similar feeling.

Very few people deserve the accolade ...legend..Vincent was definately the epitomy of the word.

When I first got interested in racing in the 70's I was unaware of his exploits over the sticks..and I still thought he was a genius just with what he did on the flat.

I read his book some time ago and was astonished by some of the stuff in there.

Can't see another one like him coming along....another thought I have on these occasions

sorry for the babble

RIP Vincent

It's nice Epsom are putting on some sort of tribute - I hope it is done from the point of view of love and respect rather than great solemnity because I reckon the last thing VOB would have wanted is for anyone's enjoyment of The Derby (or any race, come to that!) to be impaired!

92 is a wonderful age to realise and it's definitely a case for celebrating his life, not mourning his passing, in my view.

Is it me, or is there something in this quote that sounds a tad inappropraite

English is not my first language, but the term "instigation" sounds a litle bit inappropraite to me. It sounds like they were almost forced to wear the armbands.
It could well be a wrong interpretation of the translated word though.

I think they're (Epsom's management) are just making clear that they're doing it as their own tribute and off their own backs.

When I was a teenager Vincent was my hero-he was a living legend.Anytime he had a fancied runner in a big race most local bookmakers offered special odds -a couple of notches below what was freely available in England.

He was undoubtedly the greatest of trainers but we shouldn't portray him as some sort of saint. He was hugely instrumental in the "pack 'em off to stud early" movement of the seventies and early eighties. He wasn't always straight in his dealings with the media, either. I can well remember being at Newmarket the day Lomond was booed as he came back after winning the Guineas, largely as a result of the misinformation which had been put out by the stable about the participation of the long-time ante-post favourite, Danzatore.

Allowing himself to be called "doctor" also seemed a bit pompous to me. They were honorary doctorates, after all. You can't be responsible for what people call you but you can let it be known if you dislike it and he never did.

I've difficulty recalling the detail but didn't private investors lose a lot of money on the Classic Thoroughbreds venture, as well?

That said, he was obviously a genius with horses and his achievements will never be matched.

You obviously have a chip on your shoulder Gus.Danzatore didn't train on and failed to win as a 3yo.
Everyone who invested in Classic Thoroughbreds lost money including MVOB.

There's no chip on my shoulder, old boy. I'm sure the man wouldn't have claimed to be a saint but some of the coverage since his death has bordered on the hagiographic.

On the specific point about Danzatore, the controversy had nothing to do with whether or not the horse had trained on and everything to do with the lamentable failure in public relations.

Fair enough point about Classic Thoroughbreds but it wasn't his finest hour.

Allowing himself to be called "doctor" also seemed a bit pompous to me. They were honorary doctorates, after all. You can't be responsible for what people call you but you can let it be known if you dislike it and he never did.

Oh come on, how petty are you trying to be

Back