Road to the 1000 Guineas

The most interesting run from last season was discourse beating lilys angel by 4 1/2ls discourse couldv'e won 10ls.She ran .80 quicker than captain ramius now rated 100 and looked good for another 5ls,that form would put her upsides the winner.At that point of the season lilys angel looked a big improver for that trip on that ground to follow this season,looking at her previous soft ground times she definitely improved.Quite interesting she finishes only 3ls behind the second in the guineas on ground she is slower on!!;)

I just wonder are the sectionals worth anything in this race. For example EC1, if the Guineas times were produced pro rata in a run of the mill handicap would you not be sceptical of your findings?

i don't see how a horse can fudge sectionals though Slim.

HQ is nearly as good as Attraction on the figures...both ran near identical splits...if she wasn't then after her early exertions she couldn't have run the last 3f in the time she did.

Thats why i love comparing sectionals when they are very similar as in this case.

Attraction ran the first 5f in 59.95..then finished the race in 97.75

HQ first 5f in 60.06..finish in 97.81

that makes Attraction just the better horse...if HQ was a fluke winner then she wouldn't have run a 97.75 after the solid first 5f..she would have wilted.

at end of the day..i'm not saying HQ is any world beater..but she certainly isn't a fluke winner..she ran a decent race which would have taken a 120+ performance to beat..the fact the others have not shown their form isn't her fault

I have to agree, Slim Chance does need looking at more closely from the moderators.

Glad I'm not the first one to pick up on it and his response to EC1 was disgusting.

Oh Brucey.... Nice to see you, to see you..........

Didn't he do well...

ignore her superiority on the day and just judge her on her performance..which imo is 120...could another filly have run a 121 does anyone thinlk?

The RPR for HQ is 121 and for what it's worth I think you both have it about right (assuming you are working to similar method on the same scale). I'd be very surprised if she can improve much on this, if at all, although she has clearly achieved this level on merit, having run close to her capacity.

I would also be surprised if Maybe couldn't progress from this and run into the mid-120s later in the season.

Last edited:
i don't see how a horse can fudge sectionals though Slim.

HQ is nearly as good as Attraction on the figures...both ran near identical splits...if she wasn't then after her early exertions she couldn't have run the last 3f in the time she did.

Thats why i love comparing sectionals when they are very similar as in this case.

Attraction ran the first 5f in 59.95..then finished the race in 97.75

HQ first 5f in 60.06..finish in 97.81

that makes Attraction just the better horse...if HQ was a fluke winner then she wouldn't have run a 97.75 after the solid first 5f..she would have wilted.

at end of the day..i'm not saying HQ is any world beater..but she certainly isn't a fluke winner..she ran a decent race which would have taken a 120+ performance to beat..the fact the others have not shown their form isn't her fault

Fair point about not being able to fluke sectionals. Her next run will be fascinating.

Back