Road to the 2000 Guineas

2m24s flat was his time in the Belmont.

That words out exactly 12 seconds a furlong. The next best time over C&D was 2 seconds slower.

That is an incredible time..... :blink:

Frankel's guineas time was 12.16 per furlong so that puts it into perspective. Obviously different circuit and surface but still that is freakish performance.

Big Mig had a large lung capacity, very high VO2 max and an extremely low heart rate at rest.

His heart rate is I think a record. LeMond and a number of cross country skiers had better VO2 max.

I don't remember reading anything about his heart size (and I have read a lot about Indurain).

When Frankel can average 12 seconds a furlong for twelve furlongs... then we can compare him to Secretariat.

I wouldn't dream of comparing him..Secretariat is imo the greatest racehorse of all time

but what Frankel did is pretty incredible..his ease of taking a field apart is what reminds me of the big horse

That is an incredible time..... :blink:

Frankel's guineas time was 12.16 per furlong so that puts it into perspective. Obviously different circuit and surface but still that is freakish performance.

it was about 2.5 seconds faster than the record...and many very good horses have had a crack at that record before and since

Last edited:
there are not top class racing in USA over 12f

if you imagine that they have run the Belmont at this distance since 1926..there will have been quite a lot of very good horses who Big Red has shown himself vastly superior to with that massive time.

He ran each quarter faster than the previous one in his Belmont..I doubt if there is any 12f horse we have ever produced would have got near him

Excelebration shows again that he's not just an 89-rated handicapper by winning the German Guineas.

Did Pausanais run in this? If so, where did he finish?

Edit - Just seen the result and he didn't, weird. Maybe he's picked up a knock.

Last edited:
Excelleberation didn't just win in Germany he annihilated them just watched it now. I'll probably be deemed a crackpot but he could give Frankel a real test in the St James

I haven't seen it, but to be honest, I'm not interested - it's funny how horses can win Group 1s there and Italy yet offer nothing remotely close at the same level in UK, Ireland or France. That Baden Baden race in September is historically the only exception that I take full notice of.

I haven't seen it, but to be honest, I'm not interested - it's funny how horses can win Group 1s there and Italy yet offer nothing remotely close at the same level in UK, Ireland or France. That Baden Baden race in September is historically the only exception that I take full notice of.

Worse still Hamm, it's actually a group 2....

Regardless of this race I thought he ran a cracker in the Greenham and will turn out to be one of the better 3yo milers this season. He showed a real turn of foot in the Greenham and it took Frankel a little while to pull away from him. Not that I think he can reverse that form.

Getting back to Frankel's performance in the Guineas, I had an IT mate of mine put up the replay on a big screen in one of the conference rooms at lunch yesterday (no comments please...) and watched it back a few times.

Couldn't resist at least a crude attempt at some sort of sectionals given the nature of the race. What we came up with was that Frankel ran the last 4f to the line in 52.1/51.2 seconds. Given any substantial outlier of this nature I would always tend to err towards the conservative (52.1 in this case), which would mean that Frankel ran the first four furlongs at Newmarket in 45.2 seconds! Whilst it is obviously difficult to be precise I would certainly be confident that that figure isn't out by any more than 0.3, meaning he has run no slower than 45.5 and quite possibly faster than 45.2.

Of course that does not take into account the nature of the track (is the Rowley slightly downhill through the first half mile I wonder?) and we could presumably expect the last half mile to be slower given the rise to the line, but it is still pretty extraordinary I would say!

Roll on Royal Ascot!

Getting back to Frankel's performance in the Guineas, I had an IT mate of mine put up the replay on a big screen in one of the conference rooms at lunch yesterday (no comments please...) and watched it back a few times.
Shocking use of company space - particularly in light of comments made on a certain Chit Chat thread!! ;)

Back