Road To The 2014 Derby

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Happened to catch Western Hymn romp in earlier at Newbury for the in-form John Gosden. Nice turn of foot and SJ have cut him into 10/1 from 33/1.

:lol:

I'm in a time warp here after being on a FB page concerning the "old days"

Have edited the title, for those who didn't see I put the 1914 Derby:rolleyes:

I love a few early bets on the derby at big prices.

So far my wild stabs consist of Seagull Star, Indian Maharaja, Hydrogen and Annus Mirabillis.

Hydrogen is a camel.

Western Hymn has all the breeding to be a Derby winenr. There's several interesting ones that have been supplemented (Tuesday was the first supplementary entry stage at £8,000, the next and final one costs £75,000 is on June 2nd). 15 were added, some expected like Kingston Hill, Bunker and Toast Of New York but there's a few dark horses. Red Galileo for Ed Dunlop and Postponed for Luca Cumani caught my eye.

Last edited:
I love a few early bets on the derby at big prices.

So far my wild stabs consist of Seagull Star, Indian Maharaja, Hydrogen and Annus Mirabillis.

Certainly on my radar is Seagull Star. Liked what I saw on debut. Due out next week in the Feilden.

Some nice winners today at Newbury. You've pointed to Western Hymn, but I liked the Maktoum / Gosden handicapper by Oasis Dream. He looks a banker for a group race, too.

As for the Derby, I'm interested to see what they do with Ectot. He looked good in that late Saint Cloud Group 1 last year.

but I liked the Maktoum / Gosden handicapper by Oasis Dream. He looks a banker for a group race, too.

Received a fair chunk of weight from the second string who also appeals, maybe for the Britannia as he was staying on at the death (although his pedigree suggests 7s will be his trip). A big strategy for me nowadays is to ignore the winner in a lot of races and focus on the runner up who natch won't go up as much. It got me the Ebor winner last year.

Some nice winners today at Newbury. You've pointed to Western Hymn, but I liked the Maktoum / Gosden handicapper by Oasis Dream. He looks a banker for a group race, too.

As for the Derby, I'm interested to see what they do with Ectot. He looked good in that late Saint Cloud Group 1 last year.

A serious race horse Ectot. Runs in the Fontainebleau at Longchamp tomorrow.

Ok thanks. I piled into Kingman based on your comments so I'll lay off what I can. Kingman was immense!

That was a good educative type run for me. Horrible gound for some horses to deal with and he did it well enough. At present his price reflects his chance.

Western Hymn is an interesting one, dam bred by Luca Cumani (as was this colt, mare sold with him utero). Western Hymn was bought out of Tatts book two for just 50k by Blandford Bloodstock from Blue Rhapsody's new owners Newsells Park.

Plenty of cards still to be played but I couldn't be having Western Hymn.
True Story was indeed impressive and one to be taking very seriously.

Interesting that Fallon has got the ride on True Story in the Dante. One would assume that he'll ride him in the Derby aswell if lining up.

Can't believe this is a snub to De Sousa. Barzelona (with Appleby) is the disappointment, though Godolphin really hit stride after Ascot. I could imagine if Stoute has another average year, Moore will gets itchy feet, O'Brien will want him as Joseph struggles with 9 stone, but he won't go there and they take Barzelona instead.
For the Derby - Ectot looks good, but think he's better with give in the ground. I am interested in Adelaide from O'Brien, hope it runs in the Dee Stakes this week.

Moore is in a perfect position at the moment and he would not want a change

Stoute still has some nice horses and he has the chance on second rides for Hannon and obrien, also for the later the first ones when obrien does not the weight
He is also free for other stable a or any top japanesse horse coming to europe for the big races,

Moore is in a perfect position at the moment and he would not want a change

Stoute still has some nice horses and he has the chance on second rides for Hannon and obrien, also for the later the first ones when obrien does not the weight
He is also free for other stable a or any top japanesse horse coming to europe for the big races,

Moore clearly has a deal with AOB that he will ride his second strings if they have a real chance of winning and he has won a number of G1 races as a result. It cost him the winner of the 2000 Guineas though.

It means he will also have all the horses to ride that JPOB cannot do the weight on - Australia in the Arc for example ?

Last edited:
Back