Road To The 2014 Derby

Snow Sky quite taking there. Nice compliment to Wester Hymn.

At this stage the Derby is shaping up into a decent renewal and Obliterator vs Geoffey Chaucer is a big trial tomorrow.

Question

Do I still get the 2/1 on Geoffrey now that obliterator has been pulled and its down to 7 runners?

Geoffrey ran a very good race. More than a tad unlucky.
Adelaide ran pretty well also.

Bit of a forgone conclusion Australia being the best horse AOB has ever trained.

Never had one like him he said.....................Ahain!!!!

Ok enough shed talk.

Joseph is so keen to win the Derby he might finish a length or 2 in front of the horse but there's no getting away from it he is one serious horse.

No doubt in my mind if the 2000 Guineas had been his number 1 target he'd have won it.

Anything can happen but if he turns up fit and well there will be only one winner IMO

Finding one to beat him is going to be a very difficult task....picking the right one from a handful of possibilities will make things even harder.

My attitude is I can't be arsed even trying as I think it will take some machine to beat him and there's plenty other races with better opportunities be risking your hard earned cash on.

Without taking on what could be one very special horse that is.

No Brainer Australia hacks up.

NOT's deviation cost him around a yard, and had KF tried to straighten him he would probably have been beaten. :D

Australia must be one of the top talking horses of all time..his odds will never reflect his chance..he has shown nothing to suggest he is special..except obviously he will have the speed to win the july cup later in the year;)

i'd rather not have a bet than back that sort of horse

Sts was a brilliant middle distance horse that won the guineas. They do

Australia didnt

Sts was 4 1 I think. Australia evens

And no way am I ever going to shout "come on Australia" under any circumstances

APO Brien blames his early season poor form on a "virus" according to news.
This affected most of his horses about 8 weeks ago including Australia.
He believes it has run its course now .
No horse by an Epsom Derby out of an Epsom Oaks winner has won the Derby ( bar Lammtarra whose dam got the Oaks on a disq) so History may be around the corner !

Hawk Wing. the Sequel! At a wide screen near you, see Australia! Only his class could win it for him. Let's face it, he's a 10f horse.

Let's see what Dante throws up. Love to see Odeon stir it. Anyone see his Redcar maiden demolition @ 10/1 thx, Easter Sky was 10lgths ahead of 3rd and won handsome at Beverley under top weight. Must be group level horse, saved him for his York Derby.

Fascinating Rock obvious place claims. Adelaide is out, Orchestra looks value, wish Ectot would run.

Hawk Wing was bred on very different lines, and if Australia had shown half his Guineas' acceleration, he'd have won handsomely.
As Edgt indicates, Australia's bred more for a Leger than a Derby. and - if he has a weakness - it's more likely to be lack of a gearchange than any shortage of stamina.

Last edited:
My one worry about Australia would be that he was very very lean in the Guineas as though he had been hard trained. O'Brien already said that was the reason for the poor run by Tapestry in the 1,000, so I wonder if he has been over hard on them in the run-up? (viral reasons excepted)

Good point jinnyj.
They look to have pinned their season on him and him alone at the moment.
Some one else (Trackside I think ) posted that Australia is bred to win a St Leger .
My late father always wanted to see a Derby winner bred in this way.
That Lammtarra managed both to win and remain unbeaten, coupled with the fact that I was there to witness it made him the best race horse of his life time !

I think he is.

It's gonna be another non event. More often than not these days the 3yo middle distance colts division lacks so much depth.

I wouldn't read too much into True Story's defeat. Sure, it's a disappointing run but it happens. Anyone who fancies him for the Derby shouldn't give up on him. His price will go out a fair bit too.

I wouldn't read too much into True Story's defeat. Sure, it's a disappointing run but it happens. Anyone who fancies him for the Derby shouldn't give up on him. His price will go out a fair bit too.

I don't see it DO..I posted after he won last time..speed figure today 111 [incl wfa]...which i think is his level...i was amazed when he was getting all sorts of big speed figures from TF

i just wasn't impressed like everyone else was at Newmarket...overrated by some way imo

****i've amended the going allowance since i first did them..it was actually 113

Last edited:
Completely agree with DO - he never looked overly comfortable on the ground and despite a run this year, he's still quite porky! Likewise Bunker looked to blow up.

Last edited:
Back