Road to the 2022 Cheltenham Gold Cup

classy winner. steady pace will have helped a bit but won by far enough it may have been incidental anyway.

Lot of big talk about next year's gold cup. Haven't seen any horse come up the hill as quick as that. Will take some beating. Fair play to Henry, getting a plus tard and minella b ack

That was a terrific pre-race analysis by Ruby on how APT ran last year - should have had you running for a last minute bet.

Last edited:
Well done A Plus Tard and Rachel.

Well done Harry Skelton who carried Protektorat home after a bad mistake at the last. That was some ride to get third. Kept each way backers happy.

Last edited:
Fairly fast time about 4 seconds faster than last year apparently...I thought the Stronger pace would have suited Galvin more than A Plus Tard
but the faster they were going the better he was going.

Rachael must be in dream land having pulled off the big race double......and HDB was again at a loss on how he does it.

1st class trainer

Well done A Plus Tard and Rachel.

Well done Harry Skelton who carried Protektorat home after a bad mistake at the last. That was some ride to get third. Kept each way backers happy.

I had a good lift because I backed him EW ante post at 20/1...........but lost all I made on Galvin....<<<<< Dumb :lol:

Last edited:
Fairly fast time about 4 seconds faster than last year apparently...I thought the Stronger pace would have suited Galvin more than A Plus Tard
but the faster they were going the better he was going.

surprising. felt they went fairly steady for the first circuit.

Yeah I was cursing Robbie Power for going for home too soon but it wouldn’t have made any difference Off that slow pace

Edit Really surprised to see time was 4s faster than last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just watched the replay.

Initial thoughts...

APT just brilliant.
Minella weakened after the last. Did he go too soon? Was he at his 100% best?
Protektorat - ran well, probably as well as could be expected.
Galvin - appeared to run his race, wish they'd trained him for the Nash, he'd have got in off a mark in the 150s.
Royale Pagaille - would probably have been third but for that bad mistake four (?) out. Surprised to see him so comfortable so prominently. Still just a kid.
ABP - probably another to run his race and a guide to the form, along with Galvin.

If the group 3rd-6th have run to form - around 172/173 - then APT is pushing 190. Serious stuff. Minella maybe 5lbs shy of his best.

Last edited:
Not as much pace on this year which wouldn't have helped Indo. That said, was he or would he have been as good as last year having seen him this season?

The winner was awesome at Hadock. Not so good next time but that wasn't stamina.
Was convinced last year had he jumped he would have won. Less pace to worry about this year. Blackmore really just had to sit and keep him upright. That said, 15 lengths is some performance.

Splits will be interesting. The way they dropped Galvin from 3 out was telling. He passed a few but that test was not his bag.

They will indeed.

In the meantime, the result as it appears in the RP site shows very big Topspeed figures. I'm not a great fan of Topspeed, I have to say, but that's mainly because I find their figures generally conservative.

I haven't analysed the result yet but as I said soon after the race, I reckon my own ratings will be at least in the same ball-park.

https://www.racingpost.com/results/11/cheltenham/2022-03-18/796774

Can’t see the first one, desert.

I was glad Simon Rowlands worked from the first fence. When you are sometimes dropping the flag miles away from the starting line horse can be at a full gallop when they trigger the timer and if you compare the time with a race where they were barely at walking pace as they crossed the start line then you’ll be looking at a funny result.

Last edited:
Can’t see the first one, desert.

I was glad Simon Rowlands worked from the first fence. When you are sometimes dropping the flag miles away from the starting line horse can be at a full gallop when they trigger the timer and if you compare the time with a race where they were barely at walking pace as they crossed the start line then you’ll be looking at a funny result.

Must be because I'm permanently signed in to the RTV site.

I always compare visuals from when the leader is astride the first obstacle for exactly the reason you mention. It's not an exact science but it's less inexact than timing from flagfall.

They will indeed.

In the meantime, the result as it appears in the RP site shows very big Topspeed figures. I'm not a great fan of Topspeed, I have to say, but that's mainly because I find their figures generally conservative.

I haven't analysed the result yet but as I said soon after the race, I reckon my own ratings will be at least in the same ball-park.

https://www.racingpost.com/results/11/cheltenham/2022-03-18/796774

Played lovely for APT. Horse with gears. Behind par 4/3 out. Point and score. Was Indo quite the same horse as last season, or was he drunk at the end because as a stayer he was asked to use himself inefficiently?

Back