Road to the 2022 Cheltenham Gold Cup

I well remember the year Noel Meade got the news on Festival Tuesday that Road To Riches, third in Gold Cup the previous year was running in the Ryanair Chase.
The man was in bits at the course early morning; Wpm and Jackie M spent their morning consoling him and shielding him from onlookers like me.
Three months later Giggi and WPM went their separate ways.
Gordon had best tread lightly.

Royale Pagaille has been raised 3lbs to 166 so he's now the highest-rated of the home guard.

“ With the Cheltenham Festival barely two weeks away, Venetia Williams admits she is “concerned” that a virus at her Herefordshire yard could jeopardise her plans.”

She says she’s not closing the yard, but seeking to run the healthy ones. 5 non-runners pulled recently.

I well remember the year Noel Meade got the news on Festival Tuesday that Road To Riches, third in Gold Cup the previous year was running in the Ryanair Chase.
The man was in bits at the course early morning; Wpm and Jackie M spent their morning consoling him and shielding him from onlookers like me.
Three months later Giggi and WPM went their separate ways.
Gordon had best tread lightly.

O Leary would like to see Ronnie Bartlett win it with Galvin, and apparantly would rather throw Conflated in against Willie's banker Allaho!

“ With the Cheltenham Festival barely two weeks away, Venetia Williams admits she is “concerned” that a virus at her Herefordshire yard could jeopardise her plans.”

She says she’s not closing the yard, but seeking to run the healthy ones. 5 non-runners pulled recently.

I didnt want to read that.i fancy a couple of hers in the hcaps.

I have had a rethink...this Gold Cup is downright ordinay and I am very happy with my 20/1 I took about Protektorat who Dan Skelton has given plenty of time to let him improve. I honestly think he could take this lot apart who look moderate by Gold Cup standards...there are no Burroughhill Lad's in this field and Protektorat could be anything. Some have knocked his Haydock win and his form before that but if they cant see he improved by leaps and bounds at Haydock they are blind and in for a shock...all you doubters bring it on but I am stocking up in eggs to toss in your face when he hacks up��

Last edited:
Agree also despite my nice possie on Galvin. I think the lack of pace relative to last year is a massive bones for the horse and it's weird that his drift has coincided with this likelihood becoming obvious. Also helps that some so called shrewd pundits are talking up the Skelton horse. Hilarious.

I see Gordon was saying Galvin is begining to show speed they never knew he had.

I still say he'll beat A Plus Tard again and is by far the best chance Ireland have

Lasy years race look sub standard to me and fresh blood is just what the doctor ordered

Protektorat and Galvin against the field seems logical to me.

Yesterday's rain means we are getting a soft ground Gold Cup

Royal Pagaille being backed i took 12s yesterday, can't be out the first 3 surely?

Sunny, warm and a bit of a breeze. Not impossible that the going could swing wildly back in the other direction between now and the Gold Cup.

I believe the problem is when ground starts to dry out it can become extremely tacky.

I suppose if the drainage is good there's a chance it will be ok....

Yesterday's rain means we are getting a soft ground Gold Cup

Royal Pagaille being backed i took 12s yesterday, can't be out the first 3 surely?

I wouldn't be that confident as he is up against some very good horses, but yes he has a big chance now the ground has come in his favour. If its stays soft he is definately the bet for me.

I beleive DO may have him at bigger prices too. The last time we spoke about it he wasn't expecting soft or heavy ground. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Done Chantry House ew 18/1 (4pl B365) on the strength of his c/d win lto, in the first-time pieces, where Nicky reported him as blowing hard afterwards. That, and the few miles on the clock, suggest he'll improve tomorrow.

I’ve backed Chantry House, too. Hendo said not to rule him out and I think his horses are a bit overlooked this year and you can get good prices for them. That mare of his ran a blinder to come second today. I’m tending to back his horses and Venetias blind this week. I did back Galvin a while back at 16’s. Oh, and Santini (that’s half the field I’ve covered)

Well done APT backers.

Good race, brilliant performance from horse and jockey.

Minella did nothing wrong.

Royale Pagaille ran his heart out.

Brilliant stuff.

Back