Road To The Champion Bumper

Owners generall fall into three camps.
a) Mine's better than yours.
b) Those that understate their belief
and
c) Mine's an expensive lazy sod

Weatherbys Champion Bumper
Here are the ratings attributed to each of the current entries for the Weatherbys Champion Bumper on Wednesday 16th March at Cheltenham.

There are 40 entries and a safety factor of 24 so the sixteen horses included in the elimination sequence are numbered in () - with (1) being the least likely to get into the race and (14) the most likely. Where horses have the same elimination number a random ballot takes place.

Ericht 133
Raise The Beat 129
Bygones In Brid 128
Knight Pass 128
Persian Snow 127
Double Double 123
Go All The Way 123
Aupcharlie 122
Cheltenian 122
Cinders And Ashes 121
Divine Rhapsody 121
Lord Gayle 120
Star Neuville 120
Dark Glacier 119
Twentyfourcarat 119
Dynamic Approach 118
Knockalongi 118
Mount Benbulben 118
Destroyer Deployed 117
Oscar Magic 117
Saint Luke 117
The Tracey Shuffle 116
Master Murphy 115
Maytide 114
Cousin Khee 113 (14)
Fleix Younger 113 (14)
Tusa Eire 113 (14)
Allure Of Illusion 112 (12)
Broadbackbob 112 (12)
What A Warrior 111 (8)
Way To Finish 111 (8)
Rocks Rule 111 (8)
Triptico 111 (8)
Grabtheglory 110 (7)
Noble Perk 109 (6)
Awaywiththegreys 107 (5)
Crystal Swing 106 (3)
Solaise 106 (3)
All For Cash 103 (2)
Willow The Rose 95 (1)

I put this horse up in the "Unexposed Horses To Follow" thread but how Mount Benbulben is twice the price of the gambled on Aupcharlie (for the record he's been backed on the day for all his racecourse starts thus far) is beyond me. He didn't get the best of rides on his rules debut when only just beaten by Aupcharlie despite being badly hampered inside the final furlong (IMO Andy Duff should have made more use of his proven stamina and kicked on up the straight) that form looks ok enough with Aupcharlie finishing 2nd and 1st in two bumper runs since whilst Jammia who finished 8th has won a Carlisle Novice Hurdle in highly impressive fashion.

Just seen that he's declared at Limerick on Sunday against his Down Royal conqueror Open Up Your Heart and a couple of smart horses from top stables (Lovethehigherlaw and Reizovic) but still hoping they pull him out of that and take in Cheltenham instead.

Martin

Raise The Beat's preparation at home is complete and he travels this evening. Drying ground really helps. Mikey Fogarty booked. Fingers crossed now.

Best of luck lads, il be rooting for ye, had a few quid ante post at 16s, and have also backed Allure of Illusion. If they are scrapping it out up the hill though il be in your camp, which will make all the difference im sure..

Arrived safe and sound. One of my mates was walking the track today and said he spotted RTB having a pick of grass. Said he looked the part. Track is riding on softer side of good but he said there would be no excuses for horses that want to get their toe in or good ground horses. That's the same type of ground they produced every year Brave Inca was running.

I have heard positive reports for Cheltenian of Philip Hobbs. Rather worrying the reports were, "Hes a machine, hel win the Cheltenham bumper....", Which is always worrying.

I finally got my head screwed on and backed him about 2 minutes before the off. Rescued!

I finally got my head screwed on and backed him about 2 minutes before the off. Rescued!

Cheltenian now becomes my second favourite NH horse!!!:cool: Wheels back on bike - Big Bucks and Imperial to make the week. I wish tomorrow was the last day I'm knackered!!

Last edited:
A dissappointing run from Raise The Beat but I think a bunch of things went against him. He was running up a little light and didn't look great beforehand. In hindsight, Colm was a little concerned on Tuesday evening that if the race was run on Thursday he wouldn't be running. But we had to take our chance and it was only a niggling doubt rather than anything else. Otherwise he gave the impression of being right. The ground was not ideal and it was a rough race. He came back sore behind so we will get him checked out but I woul safely put a line through that run. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Last edited:
Back