Road to the Champion Hurdle 2023

Still a very interesting race. The jockey bookings tell us nothing.
Sharjah is without doubt the form horse and State Man the up and coming star

That said IMO none of these will be of any concern at Cheltenham

We should find out the pecking order for the 2 mile hurdlers in the Mullins stable on Sunday.

I have a feeling Vauban might be the one to progress the most but it's only a feeling. :)

You see what happens when you tip one.......trainers panic and withdraw them:lol:

Lol be interesting to see what Mullins thinking is now with Vauban.

Where will he run him?

Henderson on Sky Racing right now, making very pessimistic noises about Constitution Hill running at Ascot tomorrow. Nico will walk the track early tomorrow, and a decision will be made.

Last edited:
Henderson on Sky Racing right now, making very pessimistic noises about Constitution Hill running at Ascot tomorrow. Nico will walk the track early tomorrow, and a decision will be made.

Shortening for the Fighting Fight again.

Lol be interesting to see what Mullins thinking is now with Vauban.

Where will he run him?

He wouldn't have run him in the Triumph Hurdle until Rich insisted he did.

Love to be a fly on the wall and know where he will be aiming him this season.

I wouldn't be backing him for the Champion if Constitution Hill and Honeysuckle stay sound as Willie might wait another year before taking on the older horses.

Last edited:

Henderson is getting very tedious, and full of hyperbole...Edwardstone has been withdrawn on account of the ground drying, yet he's staying below the parapet because his horse is out for a lazy little constitutional!

Only a matter of time before NJH pulls Constitution Hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me it's clear that as a novice, Constitution Hill was better round HQ than Hurricane Fly was at any point in his career, and only fishwives would disagree. Discuss! :lol:

Stick a fork in it, national hunt racing is done. An absolute s***show.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

made me laugh during his interview yesterday where he said the ground was beautiful that day. how can one dry overnight in mild temps make it unsuitable for a run?

Ah well. Ascot's loss could be Newcastle's gain.

He'll be the best thing we have seen up here since the Saudi Arabian dictatorship.

Last edited:
"What they call it and what I'm prepared to run my horses on are two different things."

And yet he whinges every year about the Aintree ground being too soft for his horses...

Only a matter of time before NJH pulls Constitution Hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a bigger certainty than he was to win after Nicky's casting doubt yesterday and I took my money and ran.

When the ground dries out like it has as I said in an earlier post it becomes horribly tacky and knocks the crap out of horses.

Guaranteed today nothing will not look tired in a finishing if under any sort of pressure.
I am surprised they are running L'Homme Presse today as the chase course seems to be affected more than the hurdle course if the amount of NR is anything to go by

"What they call it and what I'm prepared to run my horses on are two different things."

And yet he whinges every year about the Aintree ground being too soft for his horses...

Horses seem to have become very tender flowers nowadays. I’m all for looking after them, but it’s not as if the track has got like the M1.

Ps: take tan’s point about “tacky” which appeared as I was writing.

Last edited:
They've seen sense and pulled L'Homme Presse out too...........no one should have anything negative to say about any of the withdrawls today

If you do want to point the finget at someone point up:lol:

Last edited:
To be fair to Nicky, he said on Monday that he wouldn't run CH if there wasn't some rain. Not like it's a last minute thing

they had 41mm since then......

tbf henderson is getting stick because he has form for this but he's not alone today is he. between the number of runners and the stuff coming out of alan king's camp itv racing should be asking different questions. ascot seems unfit for purpose for jumps racing if this is what we're gonna get there going forward.

Yes.

King is saying his horses weren't right after running yesterday citing one in particular as being jarred this morning.

No point in saying Hendo is in the wrong on this occasion other than maybe being more emphatic about CH's likely withdrawal. People turning up because CH was kept in I do have some sympathy for but, let's be honest, if you have the money to afford to go to Ascot in the first place you really shouldn't be whinging because plenty of people just can't afford to put food on their table or heat their homes.

Back