Road to the RYANAIR CHASE

The Festival is gonna be run on ground completely different than what we've had all winter long so recent form will be relatively redundant. In that scenario it should pay to side with horses who have proven Festival form and who will go on decent ground. Al Ferof therefore stands out like a sore thumb.

I can't believe the amount of guff I've read about him not being the same horse as he was prior to his injury last season:

1 - His trainer has showed time and again that no one is better at getting chasers back after setbacks.

2 - Would anyone really doubt a Denman or a Bob's Worth's credentials for a Festival contest based on a poor outing at Kempton? No. And yet this is what has happened with the grey. He was never comfortable in King George, he never jumped with any fluency. And yet despite that once in the straight he kept on well, at least proving the engine was still there.

I dont think Al Ferof will get close. Hales was at it again last night saying what a fast horse he was etc and he will deffo be in the Gold Cup next year..

I've seen nothing to make me want to back him ever again. The race should be between Benne and FL.

Boston Bob now looking highly likely to line up in Ryanair. He's never been beaten over 2m4f , hurdles or fences... Interesting.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

I'm swinging back towards Al Ferof at the prices, especially with the ground likely to be good by Thursday, meaning LI won't run in the Gold Cup and First Loot runs instead.

Boston Bob now looking highly likely to line up in Ryanair. He's never been beaten over 2m4f , hurdles or fences... Interesting.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Hey DH, I'm not sure about hurdles wins but last years chasers were a poor lot so not sure how I'd read that. BB is too slow to win a race like this in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Lieutenant will run in the Gold Cup . Dynaste should be running in the Gold Cup - not that he would win it but on good going he would run well enough. That leaves Benefficient, Menorah and Al Ferof to battle it out. Its a close call between Menorah and Benefficient IMO.

For what it's worth.................

Al Ferof given a massive thumbs down from the whole panel at the Cheltenham preview last night, they also said that Nicholls wasn't keen on him either.

Sorry for gloating a bit but I'm chuffed with the 5/1 voucher I have on Tony Martin's horse. I think he'll start 9/4 and win.

Cheers Granger. Could make or break my week, I'll be relying on silly lucky 15's and things to win unless he delivers (as things stand now anyway!).

I'm spotting more bets as the week goes which is a first for me, usually I have all my bets done and dusted a week before!

Last edited:
Menorah is a great price for this.

Would agree that Al ferof would be a danger is Nichols has weaved his magic once again but regardless of conditions, was just a bit too underwhelmed by two most recent runs. Beneficent looks like a there or thereabouts runner and slight concern that kempton may have left a mark of Dynaste. Never happy backing them after a run that affected a horse adversely

Last edited:
Tbh I'm not too bothered what Nicholls says about him. Unless there's something amiss I can't see him getting beat.

I have backed Medermit at a nice price.

The race looks short of the expected standard. However, it looks very competitive, and a case can be made for nearly all of the runners.

I have never taken to Benefficient, but he keeps winning good races. That said, I would hope Dynaste would have enough to account for him.

If Benefficient is 9/2 then Rathlin is a cracking price at 16/1...Rathlin beat Hidden Cyclone a lot easier than B did...and on this sort of ground.

Rathlin is the pick for me

Back