Road To The Supreme Novice Hurdle

He had an opportunity to come around the others and give him a good look atb the last two but decided to come in between them.This was after they allowed Ruby dictate the pace from the start.

Top horses, brilliant jock on winner. In the stands watching as Jezki drew almost level, staring shouting ruby, Fever. Guy in front- do you mind? Good thing I'm mellow. Shouted my head off!

Great race and for me great result!

Humble pie duly eaten here.

I backed Champagne Fever for the Neptune yonks ago at 9/1 and NRNB last week at 12/1 for the Albert Bartlett. That was painful to watch.

I don't think Power did much wrong on Jezki.

You could have knocked me down with a feather when C4 said this race was over two seconds faster than the Champion Hurdle. I'd have said it was the other way round, if anything.

Superlative ride from Ruby, in what may prove one of the strongest run races of the whole Festival. Simply took the sting out of the finishers.
First 3 in the market filled the first 3 places though, which promises well for the rest of the week.

A stunningly brilliant ride - went fast enough to take advantage of CF's stamina and slowing things down got MTOY at it and he started pulling AP's arms out which I suspect was why he had nothing left at the finish. MYOY tried his socks off he just got tired . I suspect that the reason the time was surprisingly quick is because they are three novices any of which would have won 9 out of 10 Supremes .

Jezki ran a blinder too and look how far clear they went of some very good novices .

Watched the race again tonight, I can't fault MTOY committment at all.

I notice Un Atout flattened the second last and lost a lot of momentum, and wasn't too clever at the last either.

a great call by Slim & Hamm:cool::cool:

Good shout by both, and also by Dave G who presumably got his lay matched no problem when they were coming down the hill. Probably too harsh to call MTOY a bridle-merchant, but he found a bit less than I'd hoped - though possibly he just came up against a very tough and genuine opponent yesterday.

Ruby Walsh gave an immense display of jockeyship yesterday. His rides on CF, HF and Quevega were really something else.

Grassy
I think time will show that was a savage pace set by Ruby, and MTOY didn't quite get home. Though a very different pace scenario, there are many similarities between his finish yesterday and that of Flemenstar in the Lexus, and for exactly the same reasons, imo.
No problems with his resolve, or the Cheltenham hill, but yesterday was a unique set of circumstances which he'd be unlikely to meet again anytime in his career
For mine, he's going to take the world of beating in any other 2m race he contests, whereas the winner would be vulnerable - until he's stepped up in trip.

Should also give Tout Seul a mention, as he's been very vocal about CF since the back-end of last season.

Not sure if it was TS or Luke (might have been neither!) who first paged the 'Any Race' option back in November last year, but it proved to be a Supreme lifeboat for me. :cool:

Not sure if it was TS or Luke (might have been neither!) who first paged the 'Any Race' option back in November last year, but it proved to be a Supreme lifeboat for me. :cool:

It was Hamm in the ante-post competition. He asked if you could keep putting the same bet up and I said no there was a limit but I liked it in the real world. Not that I ever placed it though.

You can keep your well done's, send me some cash, or failing Boston Bob or Hadrian's Approach not winning today, I'll settle for a hug! :p

Was just watching the race again. Never realized how earth shattering a mistake Puffin Billy made at the 3rd last. He's cruised past all but the four directly in front of him and still going easily when he smashed straight into the hurdle. You can virtually see him shudder and go to pieces he hits it that hard. By the time he got himself back together again the leaders have flown. Running on well at the finish definitely much better than the result would indicate.

There are good races to be won in the future with the 4th, 5th and 6th from this race. Un Atout and Puffin Billy made howlers at crucial points while Pique Sous ran well for an inexperienced horse on ground softer than he'd like.

Back