Royal Ascot 2016

How is Fran Berry.... when challenging James Doyle in the final 50 yards, supposed to know Ryan Moore is up his arse waiting for a gap?
That's what is basically comes down to me thinks.

Right result, channel 4 lost the plot there.

Last edited:
In all seriousness, Kinema was the best horse in that race for me.

I'm not so convinced about that.

Elite Army probably went with a pace that was a fraction too fast then kicked on half a furlong too early. A more conservative pace and he'd have won by five lengths.

I look forward to the sectional analysis to see if they back up that view. EA is a Group horse, trying to give the weight away.

Where's the emoticon for pocket-talking? (on my part, btw)

Nemoralia got a shocker of a ride from Peslier who allowed her to be shuffled back at least three lengths at halfway and then shiting out of going for a gap early in the straight. I need to see the race again to compare her run with that of Alice Springs but I have Nemoralia down as the winner.

Pocket talking again, of course.

Last edited:
I'm not so convinced about that.

Elite Army probably went with a pace that was a fraction too fast then kicked on half a furlong too early. A more conservative pace and he'd have won by five lengths.

From the RP analysis:
Elite Army tracked the good gallop set by A Soldier´s Tale (same ownership) and kicked for home early in the straight. It was all a bit too much too soon in this ground and he was crying out for the line inside the last. Had the pace been slightly steadier he probably wouldn´t have been caught.

Seems as if the stewards are damned either way. To start disqualifying jockeys for actually trying at the business end of a race and veering X amount of degrees off a straight line in the process would lead to more jockeys being more precautious at the finish, with the long term effect leading to more hold-up and/or hard luck stories. Surely we want to see jockeys giving it their all in a finish?
And thus not actually punish a jockey like today, when it was obviously accidental.
Despite what the team at Channel 4 said, Kinema still would have beaten both the second and third.
Sound decision by the stewards, imho.

Your point is well made, marble, but I've always been of the view that if the horse/jockey breaks the rules they should be disqualified regardless of whether the 'best horse' won or whether the infringement was accidental.

If I 'accidentally' broke an ornament in a gift shop I'd be expected to pay for it.

It will only take a few disqualifications for these 'accidents' to be pretty much eliminated.

Your point is well made, marble, but I've always been of the view that if the horse/jockey breaks the rules they should be disqualified regardless of whether the 'best horse' won or whether the infringement was accidental.

If I 'accidentally' broke an ornament in a gift shop I'd be expected to pay for it.

It will only take a few disqualifications for these 'accidents' to be pretty much eliminated.

In your opinion does that include horses who's jockey has broke the whip regulations?

I got 10/1 about Simple Verse upon the decs. Serious recency bias with this price as she didn't enjoy the camber to my eyes at Epsom and they went no pace also. Eagle Top coming out means a nasty Rule 4 however.

Twilight Son for me in the Diamond Jubilee today. He raced on the wrong part of the track at York and, minus the penalty and better for that run, he may just have the edge over Magical Memory.

Poyle Vinnie and Huntsman's Close are my educated guesses in the Wokingham. Each has solid big-field handicap form off marks similar to today's. I like Buckstay but he might need a furlong more.

The Minch is of interest in the last. His style of running suggests this extreme test might be just his cup of tea.

Cunco ran really well there considering he lost the race on the way to the start. Winner was impressive though and will go on from this IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the most competetive Queen Alexander that I can remember-I can see lots of the outsiders running really well-which makes me believe that Oriental Fox is a place lay.

Absolute disaster this week. Named a few winners in DGs comp but didn't back any of them. Instead I backed all of the losers. FFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My missus this year has been to cheltenham and one P2P with me this year, 8 from 12 after those two and asked her if she wanted me to have a few quid on for her today, picked outback traveller in the wokingham. In 14 years following racing I've never backed the winner...

New system - Pick names you like.... Lol

Last edited:
Good week for me thanks to Tepin and Profitable. Both secondary bets on their races but ensured a profit as I wasn't involved at all on Thursday and Friday.

Had a great week - 11 winners in total and a few placed horses. Highlights for me were Adam Kirby (he rode 2 winners for me when I was training) - he is the nicest guy and I was so pleased for him. Also Sir Isaac Newton - he is my total cliff horse. I saw him sold as a yearling (for 3.6m) and completely fell for him - he was a stunner. I thought he'd be something special but things haven't always gone right which made me wonder why AOB kept on with him. They obviously still think plenty of him (he should have won the Jersey last year but got a hideous run) so its nice to see your faith repaid.

Well done jinnyj !
Great to see Adam Kirby Dougie Costello and some of the others on the score board.
great International feel to the meeting now which adds to the occasion.
Gordon Elliot is getting there step by step as well.
Great to see the Bushrangers doing it as well, Now Or Never got me real excited for a while yesterday and would have made my year betting wise; had her at 33s along with two 12/1 winners Morning Prices.
Will settle for Apache at Naas Wed though !

Back