Royal Ascot 2016

Last edited:
According to the time she ran today, she won't need to grow an inch to be a force in next season's top sprints. Hugely impressive run.

Was just going to mention that. The ground must have improved since yesterday, as she ran more than 2 and a half seconds faster than Profitable in the King's Stand (carrying only 4lbs less)! If the conditions were the same - or even if they had improved anything less than considerably - she is an absolute flying machine to post that time surely. Do you have a view on the conditions, reet?

The time itself may almost render the fact that it looked a **** poor Queen Mary irrelevant.

Couldn't give a definitive answer, trackside, but I'd agree the straight course was riding a little faster yesterday than Tuesday.
Imo, they went off too quick in the King's Stand, too.

Was the winning margin 7 lengths? I reckon it could have been one more as Frankie let her coast along for the last ten strides or so. Even at seven lengths that's 25lbs, maybe a tad less given the ground but that could be made up for by the ease of victory. Either way, it was deeply impressive. I'm not convinced the ground was appreciably less soft, if I can put it that way, than on Tuesday. I just think it was a phenomenal performance, one to enjoy watching over even if she never races again.

It's difficult to come up with an exact figure for Lady Aurelia's time yesterday. Five races on the straight course but the three over a mile all appear to have been relatively slowly-run. The Jersey was better in this regard but if Ribchester was rated as running a time commensurate with the form value of his performance that would put Lady Aurelia's performance completely off the scale. The minimum time rating I can give her is 127 but that's very - very - conservative in my view and I strongly suspect it should be higher and quite probably in the mid-130s. That would give a rating for the second, Al Johrah, in the region of 108-110 which is perfectly credible.

I've fancied Folkswood for the Britannia for ages and 12/1 looks very fair to me. I'll have a saver on Taurean Star whose course record is very persuasive.

The ground on the round course is softer than the straight track and Primitivo looks rock-solid each-way in the last.

The american fillie was impressive.

whats next?
i imagine she will bounce and be beaten next time out , or retired after this.

I've fancied Folkswood for the Britannia for ages and 12/1 looks very fair to me. I'll have a saver on Taurean Star whose course record is very persuasive.

Taurean Star is one of my quartet of tracker horses in the race. 22/1 at Powers for 6 places.
Manson. Probably my best shot if the ground was better, kind of hope he's pulled out if it rains.
Monteverdi. Third in the Castle Harbour/Chief Whip race at York. I think he'll go on the ground.
Carrington. Dodgy at the start, he lost 8L plus out of the stalls at Doncaster lto. Backed him place only on the machine.

I know the ground was quick but didn't Lyric Fantasy break the all aged track record on the old stiffer Ascot straight track in 1992 .

Was the winning margin 7 lengths? I reckon it could have been one more as Frankie let her coast along for the last ten strides or so. Even at seven lengths that's 25lbs, maybe a tad less given the ground but that could be made up for by the ease of victory. Either way, it was deeply impressive. I'm not convinced the ground was appreciably less soft, if I can put it that way, than on Tuesday. I just think it was a phenomenal performance, one to enjoy watching over even if she never races again.

Yeah. Maybe in the top five breathtaking performances that I've seen in thirty odd years.

Well, I've looked long and hard at the card today, Probably blinded myself and lost complete track of the various angles I had spotted.

I'm tentatively backing two in the first - Prince of Cool - formlines through the Ardad race two days ago suggest this one should be smaller in the betting compared with a few others ahead of it in the market. Only backing because of potential and the each way price. Prince of Lir - quite impressive first time up but I'm again tentative and when I add in this is Luke Morris' only ride before heading off to Chelmsford then Lingfield suggests trainer is confident.

I really like Hawkbill and I don't get why it is 13/2. Seems a nonsense to me. Blue De Vega has the form in the book but I can't see thta it would have targeted this unlike Hawkbill.

Flying Officer should be a guaranteed place with the trainer Jockey combination as well as previous form. SMall each way on Suegioo as well, Fahey already had a winner and seems pretty confident with the ground.

Mustashry looks a real improver and drawn in the middle it shouldn't be effected by the draw. Pacodali is way over priced and I'm having each way on that given it's soft ground third to Awtaad could mean it is good enough to have a say in this.

I'm taking Harrison in the last, thrown in for the Dante but I think this was always the target, soft ground no issue either according to trainer.

A shame Crowley couldn't reel Jamie Spencer in there for me!
Do horses respond more to the whip on the left or right side of the body I wonder? Because when Abe Lincoln was given a smack on his left side in the final 50 yards he looked like he might have been the winner.

Last edited:
Back