Royal Ascot 2024

Well done ,Rob. I'm really pleased for you mate.

I guess I'm not the only one who needs a break after this week. I finished down overall. The winners I did have I didn't have enough currency on, having done most of my betting bank in on ante post bets. Still, really enjoyed the Aga's horse winning and Isle of Jura today.

I've got my Orazio, Bunbury Cup docket, to keep me company the next few weeks anyway.

He's in the International handicap at the end of July aswell. I do hope the horse stays well and runs at Newmarket though. A big chance over the 7 furlongs after seeing what we saw today. I'm surprised several bookies are still quoting 16s. Bet 365's 7s looks more realistic. Mind you, English Oak and Wild Tiger head the betting. They'll be tough nuts to crack if they ran.

Won't happen but just imagine a smash up between Fairy Godmother and Bedtime Story.

The scenes!

Just looking at yesterday's results in between TV ad breaks, I see Bedtime Story was 0.16s (about a length) slower than Haatem over CD carrying 6lbs less. So we're talking about 8-9lbs.

But she's a 2yo and, in theory, a long way less mature than Haatem.

The Jersey looked true-run - Hannon had said beforehand they'd make use of his stamina - and Haatem's OR is 116 so if he ran to around that figure BS should be around 107-108 plus whatever she had in hand. RPRs go 110.

Two things:

1. I don't see that she could have had much more to offer. The brother reminded me last night that I'm always saying you can't have an easy race if you run very fast.
2. How much do we allow for her age? While I am a believer in the wfa scale in principle, I've always believed the best 2yos are that because they are more mature. I tend to adjust ratings by the end-of-season figure of 16-18lbs.

But is BS a 126 filly?

It will be interesting to find out.

Bedtime Story blew me away...haven't seen anything like tat since Frankel won the Queen Anne Stakes.

My only worry is she looked so willing I doubt if there was loads left in the tank and sometimes when her type have to fight for it they fall flat.

Back