(2) Tishtar 9st 3lb Ryan Moore
(1) Total Gallery (IRE) 9st 3lb Ted Durcan
(18) Moss Likely (IRE) 9st 0lb Edward Creighton
(19) Glorious Dreams (USA) 8st 12lb Eddie Ahern
(16) Kate The Great 8st 12lb Pat Cosgrave
(7) Miss Hollybell 8st 12lb Jim Crowley
(9) She's A Shaw Thing 8st 12lb T. G. McLaughlin
(10) Silver Shoon (IRE) 8st 12lb P. J. Smullen

I think Fleeting Spirit is a cut above our sprinters of recent years and although she's quite a short price now, she'll be incredibly hard to beat. Takeover Target beat a woeful bunch a couple of years back and age must catch up with him sooner or later. I can't see Magnus getting a blow in either, he was beaten fair and square last year and against TT recently and I see no signs of him improving this year.

At bigger prices, the two Bryan Smart runners Captain Gerrard and Moorhouse Lad interest me together with the Spanish raider Equiano.

Captain Gerrard won the Palace House in a very strong time on 1000 Guineas day at Newmarket on good ground and wasn't beaten far behind Fleeting Spirit at the end of last season. If he repeated his Newmarket effort, he'd run very close here but he has to put a slightly disappointing run at Chantilly behind him and he wouldn't want it too quick.

Nearly 4 lengths infront of him at Chantilly the other week was the Spanish trained Equiano who chased impressive Marchand D'Or home, that form looks very strong and 20/1 looks massive for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he improved on that effort.

Moorhouse Lad has a significant absence to overcome and that is a big concern here together whether the 5f at Ascot will be too stiff for him but his win at Goodwood last year was very impressive and he demolished the field in an exceptional time and Ryan Moore said then he was the fastest horse he'd ever ridden. He obviously had excuses for his poor show in the Nunthorpe hence his long absence but I'll be backing each-way at 33/1.

I have just seen Orizaba debut win, very impressive. Looks a really fast & sharp two year old.

I think the sprint race is fascinating, would love to see Fleeting Spirit put in a really impressive display confirming the impression she made at Haydock. I think the Australians will be beat.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 16 2008, 02:52 PM
I have just seen Orizaba debut win, very impressive. Looks a really fast & sharp two year old.

I think the sprint race is fascinating, would love to see Fleeting Spirit put in a really impressive display confirming the impression she made at Haydock. I think the Australians will be beat.
I'm so impressed with Fleeting Spirit, but I don't want her to win anything until I get a chance to put her in my TTF.

Originally posted by simmo@Jun 16 2008, 03:10 PM
Kingsgate Native anyone?
Like the horse (KN), but this is difficult enough for three-year-olds (Fleeting Spirit does look a pretty special 3-y-o having said that).

Originally posted by simmo@Jun 16 2008, 04:10 PM
Kingsgate Native anyone?
The trainer was not particularly bullish about him training on that well on ATR on Sunday.

My only worry about Fleeting Spirit was her run was remarkably like Airwave for me. Another filly who did not really look the type to train on from 2 to 3 but hacked up in the same race on her debut.

Granted she was only beaten by Choisir at Ascot but was a bit disappointing after that.

Originally posted by Galileo+Jun 16 2008, 03:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Galileo @ Jun 16 2008, 03:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-simmo@Jun 16 2008, 04:10 PM
Kingsgate Native anyone?
The trainer was not particularly bullish about him training on that well on ATR on Sunday.

My only worry about Fleeting Spirit was her run was remarkably like Airwave for me. Another filly who did not really look the type to train on from 2 to 3 but hacked up in the same race on her debut.

Granted she was only beaten by Choisir at Ascot but was a bit disappointing after that. [/b][/quote]
It's true that Airwave was probably not as good again, but it won't necessarily follow that Fleeting Spirit will follow suit... I hope not anyway.

Originally posted by SteveM+Jun 16 2008, 04:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SteveM @ Jun 16 2008, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 16 2008, 03:25 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-simmo
@Jun 16 2008, 04:10 PM
Kingsgate Native anyone?

Granted she was only beaten by Choisir at Ascot but was a bit disappointing after that.
It's true that Airwave was probably not as good again, but it won't necessarily follow that Fleeting Spirit will follow suit... I hope not anyway. [/b][/quote]
Yes, I agree. Just something I have at the back of my mind, big effort first time out on fast ground probably took its toll on Airwave.

Originally posted by Jamie@Jun 16 2008, 03:30 PM
I've tapped up a few thoughts on the race, you can read them here.
Thanks Jamie. I'd be surprised if KN can match a weight-adjusted 125 rating first time out this season and I think it will take at least that to win it.

Thanks Steve, although I think he's more than capable of doing this. The spanish horse is worrying me somewhat though, his price is simply too big - I may have a couple quid each-way just incase. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jamie@Jun 16 2008, 04:39 PM
Thanks Steve, although I think he's more than capable of doing this. The spanish horse is worrying me somewhat though, his price is simply too big - I may have a couple quid each-way just incase. :rolleyes:
Good on you Jamie. I hope he can beat Fleeting Spirit for you but on the book he has a fair bit to find. Doubt I'll be having a bet, but I secretly want something to shade the three-year-old filly.

Indeed and a friend of mine who works for Noseda advised me to snaffle the 16s available for the King Stand before she ran at Haydock, alas I didn't and I'm now secretly hoping something can nail her.

I usually take Nick Mordin's views with a pinch of salt as he's getting more and more erratic in his methods by the day, however the point made about Fleeting Spirit is a good one, and has to be considered before getting involved at such a short price.

We'll see though, I'm not going mad and have yet to back it myself just yet. It's more of a spectacle than a race to make money from, as any one of four or five have serious chances.

It's a high class and difficult renewal this year.

I'm going for Magnus, without a lot of confidence it has to be said, but this stiff 5f is probably just what he needs, although his wins-to-runs ratio isn't the best.

Kingsgate Native (if he's trained on), Takeover Target and Benbaun look the main dangers.

Btw, why is this race being lumped in with the non-Group 1 races?

I Am The Best.

He is a lovely little animal, really up for it and a sharp type, I was very much taken with him when I first saw him. He should have won on his debut but the kid on him was too weak in the finish. I didn't see his run at Kempton but it sounds like he didn't handle the track, again with the same apprentice up. With Ted Durcan up he is definitely interesting and should run a far better race than his current price of 100/1 would suggest.

I'm also a big fan of Fleeting Spirit and was very impressed with her at Haydock. However at around 2/1 - 9/4 she's not the greatest proposition in such a race. I too like Captain Gerrard and think he is a decent each way punt at around the 20/1 mark.

Stubbs Art should also run a far bigger race than his current odds imply.

I really can't see past Orizaba in the Coventry, he battered the opposition last time out in a very good time for a 2 year old. The draw is perhaps a worry but the only other 3 I was considering (Art Conn, Icesolator and Smokey Storm) are also drawn low.

I had a big AP bet on Airwave so remember her well and also see the similarities with Fleeting Spirit. I have backed Kingsgate Native ew from the day the books opened. He is a big, powerful animal and with just normal improvement could be awesome.

Maybe he was just that much more big and powerful than the average 2yo but maybe he's the real deal.

In the handicap I like Joanna Morgan's Jawad. Really good trainer, Kinane on board and they are expecting a really good run.

Back