Royal Ascot Day 1

Any reason why Smullen isnt on Jawad?? I liek Galilent in that race. Im also on Bushman in the last.

In the sprint - I've backed Magnus and Dandy Man, the ground at Hayydock was very fast that day. i dont think too much should be read into the race time Fleeting Spirit won in.

1st race looks extermely trappy.

I didn’t even realise he was entered up in the race until this morning, but I am really keen to see how Intense Focus runs in the Coventry. That was a hot maiden he ran in at The Curragh, he will love this ground, get the trip easily and is a tough sort. At 18s and 16s he is a great price.

In the Ascot Stakes (4.55) Ian Williams will be looking to prize his 2nd staying handicap of the season and he saddles the talented Baddam. Baddam landed this race in 2006 for Mick Channon and returns to the scene of his victory off only a 4lb higher mark after several disappointments this season. However when all looked lost he showed a glimmer of hope last time running on over an inadequate trip catching the eye. Today back over a longer trip he can take advantage of a further 3lb drop by the handicapper and the booking of Johnny Murtagh certainly catches the eye. He looks capable at this level and the return to lightning quick ground can see him score in the race for the 2nd time running. The best part is we can get a whopping 16/1 with Betfred this morning.

I'm by no means an expert on sprinting form, but I reckon Abraham Lincoln is a big price at 33's in the King's Stand. Very tricky race to get to grips with all the international form.

Same here on the expert front, but i reckon these Aussies are old now and Dandy Man is bigger than both despite the fact that he was clear second last year and loves the race. I`m after 5/2 for the place on Betfair.

Benbaun for me doesn`t show his form in England. I hope this Takeover Target doesn`t win. Nowt against connections, but Aussie Jim will be fecking unbearable.

Originally posted by Gamla Stan@Jun 15 2008, 05:08 PM
Nearly 4 lengths infront of him at Chantilly the other week was the Spanish trained Equiano who chased impressive Marchand D'Or home, that form looks very strong and 20/1 looks massive for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he improved on that effort.
I don't think I've ever been so happy about a result!

Originally posted by Gamla Stan+Jun 17 2008, 03:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gamla Stan @ Jun 17 2008, 03:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gamla Stan@Jun 15 2008, 05:08 PM
Nearly 4 lengths infront of him at Chantilly the other week was the Spanish trained Equiano who chased impressive Marchand D'Or home, that form looks very strong and 20/1 looks massive for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he improved on that effort.
I don't think I've ever been so happy about a result! [/b][/quote]
A 20/1 winner at this meeting is very hard to top. Well done.

I have always been a Marchand d'Or fan.

I was down in Cavan for the week with no access to the internet or betting shops and read in my Raceform Update Ascot guide that Equiano was 66/1 for this race.

I resolved to back him when I got back to civilisation.

Did I back him? Did I bollocks.

I wish I had backed the win a lot more than the place now.

My whole office think I'm a right t1t!

Having calmed down, there is no way on earth that deserved to be a 22/1 shot. It's form behind Marchand D'or was rock solid. If it had been trained by Godolphin it would have been 8/1 max.

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Jun 17 2008, 02:16 PM
You have to feel for Dandy Man, must be one of the most unlucky non group one winning horses in training.
I agree Chris, my thought exactly as the race was panning out. the leader on that side went off a bit quick too LOL

Good call Gamla - he was the only foreign horse with a chance I forgot to back this morning :rolleyes:
I knew I'd left one out but got distracted LOL. Great to see something like that win at Ascot, it gets boring when it's all the usual suspects - but like several others I didn't want to see TT win either as I really dislike the trainer

Originally posted by Gamla Stan@Jun 17 2008, 03:29 PM

My whole office think I'm a right t1t!

I love having a nice winner whilst at work. I was in the mess room when the Derby was run and i screamed the place down.

Yes that was funny wasn;t it! They really need to put him out to grass and find someone a bit sharper LOL
Found the lad's affection and excitement really touching as they came in

I'm still int he Placepot, otherwise not doing at all well LOL - but stuck to silly bets at small stakes for a bit of fun

I've Baddam and Liberate, then Bushranger and Brae Hill
PS Ascot Stakes was really exciting - amazing finish! Still in the PP - just - one line only left I think :rolleyes:

Back