Royal Ascot Day 1

Fucked up his 3yo campaign so much that he won an Irish Derby and an Irish Champion Stakes? Really? Its not like he would have beaten Workforce if he'd gone to Epsom instead of Chantilly.

As for today, no surprise to see him go to the front, but very disappointing how tamely he folded. I didn't think they went off that fast. Worth pointing out that he's effectively with new owners this year, too, hence why he ran in Dubai and they obviously didn't fancy taking on So You Think tomorrow.

They sent him to France to get beaten by an inferior horse on soft ground that doesn't suit him.He should have been at Epsom. He would have given Workforce a race. He than gets stuffed by a freakish performance by harbinger finishing 4 lenghts in front of workforce. He showed how good he was in the Irish Champion before being thrown at the Arc, again on unsuitable ground . They sell him to someone who than allows him to be raced over a mile against two top milers. Maybe his pedigree isn't desirable enough in Coolmores opinion to be a stallion but it is clear to me that he is held in little regard and today just confirmed that.

watch Hughes and Dubawi Gold try to stay with him.. said it all for me..

That said to me that Hughes should have decided the tactics today and not Andrew Tinkler - riding Dubawi Gold close to the pace backfired spectacularly.

IIRC, during a race he's usually on the phone to his wife (or someone else back home) who's giving a running commentary.

It was quite clear from the interview he gave ATR that Henry Cecil is not best pleased about how Frankel was ridden. Nor was he best pleased to find McCririck in his face.

I'd also have to say he doesn't look too well, hope he's ok.

Awful ride on Frankel! As I think Gareth mentioned earlier, they'll kill him if they keep this up.

Do the racing media and racing fans in general not completely over react to jockeys whether it be about them riding well or badly. Ryan Moore is coming in for criticism now because of a few reversals on fancied horses. Richard Johnson was a great jockey after Punchestown but in the not so distant past he was under criticism. Cecil has admitted he was not happy with the ride and no doubt Queally will have learned a lot from it. You can't become a top class jockey with out ups and downs.

Do the racing media and racing fans in general not completely over react to jockeys whether it be about them riding well or badly.

I don't think Moore has done anything wrong but if Frankel had faced anything within ten pounds of him on Tuesday he'd have got beat. Sometimes they deserve criticism, sometimes it's unwarranted.

Thats a fair point Gearoid. Just about all the best ones have out in a stinker or complete misjudgement from time to time. And agree that there was nothing at all wrong with Ryans ride BTW

Only jockey i can remember who never ever seemed to screw up was Cauthen. Might be wrong though but he was almost faultless

Thats a fair point Gearoid. Just about all the best ones have out in a stinker or complete misjudgement from time to time. And agree that there was nothing at all wrong with Ryans ride BTW

Only jockey i can remember who never ever seemed to screw up was Cauthen. Might be wrong though but he was almost faultless

thats because he mastered pace

i don't knock jockeys unless i feel they have made a serious pace judgement

to me..a jockey learns to ride to the correct pace..its his job...therefore i expect a jockey to know if the pace is too fast or too slow..its a basic knowledge i expect them to have

Queally has ridden two poor races recently imo..howlers imo...which show to me that A he either can't judge pace..or B he lacks patience and belief in the horse he is riding..i'm not sure what it is..

a jockey that can't judge pace is a passenger imo

Yes. He was an absolute master of pace. Best jockey of my time for those very reasons. he seemed to ride in a zone and was completely untroubled by distractions. Fantastic

Didnt see Piggott at his best though but seems he also had that extremely rare ability to make the race his own whatever was occuring

The idea that either Cauthen or Piggott could ever have ridden a race as incompetently as Queally did on Tuesday beggars belief .

Cauthen made a number of mistakes in his early years when he was trying to Europeanise his style - generally the odd horse got unbalanced and he admitted it later on . In his Cecil years however he was superb.

Lester was just awesome .

Lester made a balls of Nijinsky in the Arc.If you think be didn't make high profile mistakes you need to take off the rose tinted glasses.
I don't dispute Lesters brilliance but as with George Best he has acquired almost mythical status in retirement.

Nijinsky was over the top in the Arc and had been sent bonkers by a phalanx of Japanese photographers before the race .

It is nonsense to say he gave him too much to do he led Sassafras dived left and lost it a head .

Of course Lester made the odd mistake just far fewer than most and he did not ever panic

Back