Royal Ascot Day 2

Low numbers, and for a split second I thought I was in there with Royal Power (Aussie Jim missed him again) 4 of my shortlist of 6 finished in the first 4, I daren't even look how much went south, but in truth I never really contemplated a trifecta, but if you were prepared to take the clues from yesterday about low numbers holding sway, then that was a getable forecast/ tricast etc, as there was a cluster of half fancies all drawn low, although it would have required a blind leap of faith, but for little stakes.

Having just looked at my pre-race notes, they're all there, (with a circle round them saying "low draw bias?") admittedly the order's wrong, as I had them 3, 2, 4, 1, but thats not to say I wouldn't have reversed them. Ouch :cry:

Originally posted by Euronymous@Jun 18 2008, 03:31 PM
That i suppose was why it wasn`t a backable price. Jockey`s are such lemmings.
Quite - if the jocks drawn high had made a different group instead of losing all that ground coming over it might have been another story. But Bankable was far too jigged up andyway and got very unbalanced coming out of the stalls, bumped badly too, game over really

Originally posted by Warbler@Jun 18 2008, 03:31 PM
Low numbers, and for a split second I thought I was in there with Royal Power (Aussie Jim missed him again) 4 of my shortlist of 6 finished in the first 4, I daren't even look how much went south, but in truth I never really contemplated a trifecta, but if you were prepared to take the clues from yesterday about low numbers holding sway, then that was a getable forecast/ tricast etc, as there was a cluster of half fancies all drawn low, although it would have required a blind leap of faith, but for little stakes.
Wasn't it the case last year that we thought low numbers held the advantage until something scooted up the far side in the Britannia?

I agree, the jockeys were too lemming-like. I really thought the far side would stick to the far rail but when they started coming across you really could just put a line through anything drawn in double figures.

Bankable ran a fantastic race in the circumstances. I dodn't back it but I'd consider it next time, even with a stone more on its back.

Bankable

I think it was an amazing performance from that draw, he faced an impossible task.

He was a stone well in, but in this hcp, one the most competive of the season, you have to be well in a lot and looks a horse to follow, first four in the race were draw 1-6.

Originally posted by sunybay@Jun 18 2008, 04:43 PM
Bankable

I think it was an amazing performance from that draw, he faced an impossible task.

He was a stone well in, but in this hcp, one the most competive of the season, you have to be well in a lot and looks a horse to follow, first four in the race were draw 1-6.
Absolutely right suny. People expect far too much. I agree it would have been barely possible to win from his draw.

Are we making too much of the draw? That's not to say that it hasn't been a significant factor so far, it clearly has, but only because jockeys have allowed it to be. Is there any evidence to suggest the other side is so much slower? Dettori tried to plough a bit of a lone furrow in the second yesterday before tacking over at half way. Now if you were drawn high today in a race like the Brittania what would you do? Bear in mind they've been running on the same strip all week in the straight and must be wearing it out sooner rather than later, whilst the theoretically fresher ground remains untouched on the far side. I wouldn't be massively surprised to see a few jocks drawn high getting together and saying something to the effect of we're toast if we go for the stands side, lets try going down the far side, in which case, there could be a big price in there today. I'm tempted to take a bit of a chance thus, but as someone who tends to bet on demonstrable facts rather than hunches I can't bring myself to do it.

If I owned a horse drawn in the top 7 or 8 in the Britannia I'd be telling my jockey to go far side. You aren't going to win coming stands side so might as well take a punt. They weren't beat far in the Kings Stand at all.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 18 2008, 01:36 PM
Jupiter Pluvius looks a sprinter.

I think that's being a bit geenrous to be honest Gal. The horse simply doesn't look good enough to me

Perhaps your right, I thought he travelled well under his penalty and just did not get home. His form from last year is holding up well and there is a decent race in him I think.

Originally posted by Gamla Stan@Jun 19 2008, 10:40 AM
If I owned a horse drawn in the top 7 or 8 in the Britannia I'd be telling my jockey to go far side. You aren't going to win coming stands side so might as well take a punt. They weren't beat far in the Kings Stand at all.
Yes. For that reason my main bet in the race is the low-drawn Hurricane Hymnbook and I've a smaller bet on the high-drawn Flawed Genius.

Back