Royal Ascot Day 2

Georgebernardshaw is far too big a price for the Jersey. I thought he'd have done better in France but I honestly don't see that anything in this line up is capable of anything significantly better, with the possible exception of his stablemate, who still has much to prove. I'll be backing the two AOBs with a little rev f/c.

Originally posted by Gamla Stan@Jun 18 2008, 10:30 AM

The only real value might be in Generous Thought at 16/1 who has ran well in two handicaps this year but he was pretty much beat by Spencer's rides in both of those and I don't hold much hope of that problem being eradicated today!
I had him down as one to follow after his run at York, although i was hoping he`d be taking in another handicap. The Spencer factor is there of course, and i can see him getting boxed in a la Cesare yesterday. But i expect to get around 5s in the place market and that will do me.

Agree with DJ's sentiments re Literato. I remember backing Refuse to bend in both the Queen Anne and Eclipse :) Ground is a worry though, and wouldn't be surprised if they withdrew him if no rain materialises.

Makaseeb is a horse I really like. I remember watching her intently on Champions day when she looked like she still had a lot of growing to do, and thought her very unluckly at York behind Botti's filly.

Heaven Sent impressed at Newmarket, and think she seems to be improving rapidly this season.

Bankable is worthy of a large investment.

Originally posted by Desert Orchid@Jun 18 2008, 10:58 AM
Yes, I also took a wee bit EW on Literato at 20/1 yesterday evening.
Non runner. Perhaps Ask each way now. Really liked this horse last year, and potentially great value each way at 7/1 in the hope his Sandown performance was due to it being his first performance of the year, and not the distance being too short.

Why is GeorgeBernardShaw 46 on Betfair? Seems a little high, and worth a small investment though I do fancy Calming Influence.

Going by the Sporting Life, which admittedly can be less than accurate, but it's all I've got, he has the highest OR in the race and it can't be said he's out of form. Surely it's worth taking a chance on the ground at that sort of price. He had been showing big leaps of progressiveness prior to France. I can't see it as a major shock were he to stick his nose in front. He's more of a 14/1 shot to me.

I'm quite sweet on Jupiter Pluvius in the Jersey. 6/1 is a decent price for a horse that already has decent form, is guaranteed to be suited by the ground and has the most potential of any horse in this race IMO. Calming Influence and Dream Eater probably the biggest dangers. I'm put off Aqlaam by the ground.

I also like the Ballydoyle filly Heart Shaped in the Queen Mary. Looks to have a handy draw (lot of speed around her that will hopefully give her a nice tow), progressive filly and decent form (Silver Shoon is better than she showed yesterday) who will love the ground. To be honest, I didn't think I'd get 7/1.

Think there has to be a bit of a doubt around the Haggas filly on the ground and Pricewise will ensure Sugar Free will go off far shorter than she should.

I would have been keen to back Pipedreamer EW in the Prince of Wales had we gotten a bit of rain, but I've held off given the ground. No really strong opinion on the race.

Despite having just a cursory look through the Royal Hunt, surely Cumani's "certainty" could be worth taking on on fast ground?

I'm with Mel on Georgebernardshaw.

GBS is well drawn, and figures high up on the RPRs as well as the official ratings. The races he won earlier this season have worked out reasonably well and at 40/1 it is too soon to assume he only goes on heavy ground.

It is an example of how stable jockey rejects are often overpriced.

Originally posted by Andrew Hurley@Jun 18 2008, 12:27 PM
Why is GeorgeBernardShaw 46 on Betfair? Seems a little high, and worth a small investment though I do fancy Calming Influence.
GBS is 9.8 for the place on Betfair..made a small investment :clap:

GBS never went a yard on that going. Jupiter Pluvius looks a sprinter.

Impressed with the winner, very green in front. Could be pretty smart.

If that's the case (I think Moore went a wee bit early in his determination to land a RA winner but maybe not enough to cost it the race) ADRD is a brilliant trainer, a conclusion I was arriving at before today.

Layed The Duke to quite a big Liability,squeeky bum time now here.Hoping Sixties Icon Run into the frame as I have it at a nice price ante post.

Well done to Chris who tipped up Aqleem :clap: Tho having backed him e/w at 8s I then took him out of my PP :rolleyes: and dropped out dammit

Was trying ot get a RFCT on for the Windsor Forest with HS and the French filly but didn't quite manage it [was answering some important emails!] and of course they came in 1/2 in the right order - maddening...

Have done PT to beat DOM in the next, with a smaller FCT the other way round as a saver

Royal Hunt Cup: Paddy Power is paying 5 places

I really fancy Extraterrestrial at a big price - except he's drawn away from all the other fancied horses drawn high, and the pace will prob come from Oceana Gold who's also drawn high... Have had a bit e/w on Lang Shining and will prob do a FCT with Bankable, and a small B to BT SL

Originally posted by Sheikh@Jun 18 2008, 03:17 PM
Generous thought made up a load of ground from the back, spencer rode.
He was badly outpaced though. I wouldn`t blame the jockey this time.

Back