Royal Ascot - day 2

Hamm

At the Start
Any fancies today?

I am worried by the fact I fancy Godolphin to win the first 3 races :blink:

Shakesperean looks a fair price in a very weak Jersey. Looked to have trained on well, and has some good pieces of form from last year.

My main fancy of the day is Antara. To my eye, she travelled like a top class filly in the Princess Margaret, and won very cosily under a penalty. Again, i don't think it's the strongest renewal and think the Stoute filly is too short, and has been well-placed.

I like a few in the Prince of Wales - Cavalryman for reasons stated elsewhere, and I think Shalanaya is huge at 10s. She looks a top mare, and was arguably unlucky not to win the Ganay. I will have a little cover on Byword, the only horse in the front 3/4 I think may beat the above 2, and is potentially a very good 1m2 Group 1 horse.

Dandy Boy looks like he has a lot in his favour in the Hunt Cup, but also think Lovelace, at 5/6 pounds lower than last year, can go well, and seems back to close to his old form. The Johnston horse is interesting, clearly unexposed and could be a fair few pounds better than his current mark.

I'd be taking Shakesperean on all day long myself, he got a very soft lead at Epsom and the time of that race was poor too. It's a trappy little contest though but Free Judgement looks overpriced at 11/2 in my eyes. There is a whole string of form linking Meezaan, Red Jazz, Rodrigo De Torres and Field Of Dream which makes it tricky but the Bolger horse should be clear favourite for me.

I'm not too sure how Sahpresa is 8/1 in the Windsor Forest given she's a Group One winner and has beat the fav easily before, she's done nothing wrong since then and has won on seasonal reappearance before. Golden Stream looks overpriced at 16/1 too, she was unlucky LTO in a fast race and has ran well here before.

Cavalryman is bet of the week, how a horse who finishes that close to FAG in a super quick Coronation is 12/1 is beyond me. He seemed to be coming back towards his best last time out and doesn't even need to repeat his Arc efforts to win this. He should be second favourite. Debussy is also overpriced given how well the Chester race has worked out.

The Hunt Cup is a complete lottery but Mia's Boy looks big at 33/1 given he finished second last year and always runs well in these events.

Song Of My Heart could go well at a price in the last, Spencer took her all over Ireland in the Guineas and she would have finished closer with a better ride.

Looking forward to Safina in the last & fingers crossed for Fareer for obvious reasons A harder day than yesterday without a doubt though. Really interested by Meow on paper - some pedigree! (Storm Cat - Airwave)

Meow is one of the horses I have been most looking forward too all week. I will back her (not heavily given the nature of the race) but really just looking forward to seeing her in this and hope she does not disappoint - everything appears to be in her favour.

Obviously I am looking forward to seeing FAREER and hoping he does well but that race is such a wide open one, I feel it's probably beyond him this time. I quite like BALCARCE NOV !

Yes, MEOW is a particularly interesting runner and what a pedigree!

I quite fancy St Moritz in the RHC and it seems that EC1 does also. This may be this first recorded moment in history that we have agreed on anything... Take note!! ;)

I'm having a hum and a ha over Al Muheer in the RHC - big old price and he does like Ascot. Can just see Clive doing his little dance again!

I need to go to the local centre to access their broadband connection so haven't made any bets yet but these are the thoughts of the Lanarkshire jury:

2.30 Meezaan
3.05 Sahpresa
3.50 Byword
4.25 'Short' list: Riggins, Marajaa, Invisible Man, Spectait, St Moritz, Shavansky, Docofthebay
5.00 Purple Glow
5.35 -

I think either very high or very low will be the key to the Hunt Cup. Most of my short list are drawn high so maybe one of those. I marginally prefer St Moritz.

My only bet today is coupling Free Judgement and Shakespearian. If either of them run to their best (or their best can be believed) it should leave the rest trailing. It's worth taking 2/1 that one of them will.

Last edited:
Good Luck

My bets are

2.30-Shakespearean
5.00-Maqaasid
5.35-Safina

Stakes of 1pt Win & 2pts Place @ Betfair Sp

I've gone through the Jersey Stakes again, and whilst I still think Shakespearean has a very good chance, I will also back Rainfall. Impressive in her maiden, and ran well to finish runner up on only her second start in a listed race at Haydock. There was a gap of nearly 3 lengths to the next, and the 5 horses which followed her home had a lowest rating of 104 between them. Of course, you have to then assume the winner has improved a lot on his Irish rating, but as an early season 3 year old, this is entirely plausible. Whatever way you look at it, there is a case to be made for rating her around the 108 mark at very least, and what with the fillies allowance, the fact she has only raced twice leaving plenty of room for improvement, the step back up to 7 should suit, and that the top two in the betting carry penalties, she must go close. Interesting jockey booking as well. Definitely a bet for me each way around 8 or 9/1.

Last edited:
Plenty of 8's with the books but lining up to back her sub 9 on Betfair = an opening show of 7/1.

Good shout Hamm, that Haydock race looked quick but didn't think she'd be up to this class. Definitely a race to follow that Haydock race.

Cheers lads.

Didn't think she wanted to go past or was perhaps running a bit green, so I would hope she's a bit better than the bare form. I thought Moore did very well on her.

Hope she stays put as well. That 7furlong race at Goodwood could be ideal.

Looks like you are on a roll - hope it continues! Good call, she tried very hard until end of race I thought, good to spot her.

Last edited:
Back