Royal Ascot - day 2

Well, hasn't Johnston just had his Ascot winner? :)
Annoyingly, Rainfall beating Red Jazz by a head.

I quite fancy St Moritz in the RHC and it seems that EC1 does also. This may be this first recorded moment in history that we have agreed on anything... Take note!! ;)

What a cracking race that was.

Between last day and today, that Stoute filly looks hard as nails.

This POW is incredibly open and as well as Cavalryman i'm looking at Wiener Walzer at a big looking 25s. On formlines through Getaway he's not far behind these at his best and surely 9f first time out would have been totally against him. He's worth a small each way investment.

On this ground, and bearing in mind after seeing Spacious nearly repeat last year's victory, I'm going to have a little on Glass Harmonium.

Main 2 bets are Cavalryman and Shalanaya.

Think Byword is getting too short, and don't fancy the others after a break.

Looks a cracking race, and great to see the jockeys to a man praising the ground.

What are the vibes regarding Mawatheeq? Given that I was really looking forward to him this year I'm surprised he's such a big price, unless he is expected to be need the run significantly.

Can't help but think Byword may have been slightly flattered by his proximity to Goldikova last time.

Looks a pretty brutal renewal of the race.

Agree. He has improved hand over fist when you consider Allaybar has beaten him the last 2 times they've raced.

Wouldn't have won or anything like that but what kind of ride did Lemaire give Shalanaya? That's the second bizarre ride in 2 days, where he has seemed to make little effort on a horse looking to be going okay turning in.

True.

I really have got an issue with Tregoning and AOB using Group 1 races to "get a run" into their horses. Maybe they could do with a couple of weeks at Nicholls yard.

Andre Fabre trained 4 year-old wins
ex-Andre Fabre trained Bin Suroor 4 year-old finishes last

It is getting beyond a joke isn't it.

Delighted to see Guyon ride a winner on his first Ascot ride too, he's absolutely class.

Loved how folk used him as a negative this morning in sections of the media as it was his first ride in the UK!

Just what on earth have Godolphin done to Cavalryman though?!

Tazeez has a very nice race in him over this trip.

One of the best jockeys at the moment - Guyon.

One of the worst, if not the absolute worst - Atjebi. I understand promoting Dubai and all that, but all he is doing is making his boss look a very foolish man.

The one to take out of the race is Glass Harmonium. Looked a bit flat footed when the race really began but powered up the straight. He's by a Darshaan mare so 12f might suit him better in top company.

Disagree with this part - has had loads of chances, and ran in numerous weak-ish Group races and apart from the Earl of Sefton, nothing.

To be fair, he's been used as a pacemaker in this race twice now and got injured at York last season.

I'd love them to aim him at the Champion Stakes given his record at Newmarket.

Back