Royal Ascot

Galloping young/immature horses on firm ground is close to cruelty. Far better that they err on the side of too soft than too firm.

Galloping young/immature horses on firm ground is close to cruelty. Far better that they err on the side of too soft than too firm.

Cruelty is galloping horses without doing sufficient road work to strengthen the bones (ie completing the bone remodelling stage.) EG Godolphin have their 2yos on the gallops immediately after the 6 week breaking in programme. (see their videos on Youtube) A large % of trainers in the UK which is why so many horses have sore shins and their joints are wrecked by the end of their 3yo campaign. The winners are the vets, some whose business is purely driving round injecting racehorses with arthritis or knackered joints.

So far only one of my 2yos has started cantering this year because the others bones have not completed the remodelling stage. My horses often race to 9 or 10 on the flat without injury or ever having to be jabbed. Unfortunately most owner want instant racing and very few have the patience required.

Amazingly there are a few people in the BHA who privately agree with me......the only thing we agree on!

here is the official going report published on the BHA site. Completely different to reet hard's post.

Hardly surprising, considering it was from the next day.:rolleyes:
Though it's dried up some, it remains consistent across the whole of the straight course.
My money's still on the muppets.

Last edited:
COC currently on RUK saying only had 2mm all month so far, driest period leading up to meeting he has known. Watered Sunday (5mm) and going will be watered to stay Good to Firm all week. Anticipating putting on about 4mm tonight to replace moisture lost during the day which can be as much as 3mm depending on whether cloudy or dry and bright like today and so on for rest of week.

Finally got my head around US Navy Flag's apparently suicidal run in the Irish Guineas, and decided it was a fitness run - with this race firmly in mind.
His full sister (Roly Poly) actually thrived on racing, as did their dam (Misty For Me). Neither was lightly raced, and both improved throughout their career, too.
In the light of this epiphany, I'd rate UNF as the class horse in the race, and an Ascot banker, too.

Good to see the COTC is watering...gotta look after the best horses or the future would be very bleak.

Anyway you guys want winners not opinions so here goes: Wooton..ignore the last run there was a honest excuse and they expect today it will be get the fook out of my way wooosh!!! race over

Good to see the COTC is watering...gotta look after the best horses or the future would be very bleak.

Anyway you guys want winners not opinions so here goes: Wooton..ignore the last run there was a honest excuse and they expect today it will be get the fook out of my way wooosh!!! race over

With you on Wooton!

They just make these going reports up last year first race was fast by 2 seconds this years slow by .35 plus yet going stick exactly the same they are going to put some water on top laughable if they do second race was slow by 1.19 seconds as well the fact lord glitters was 2nd sent the alarm bells out..will be nearer good ground tomorrow..if they water.Think its impossible to get decent gd/fm ground if they water previous day,they should leave that tomorrow and maybe water tomorrow after racing.

Last edited:
Strange pronunciation of the winner there during the ITV commentary. The whole way through the race he's called her LA goes to Vegas.

Unimportant I know but I got back from a fortnight in Vegas on Saturday and my intials are LA. As soon as I heard the pronunciation I thought to myself; why haven't I backed this Mullins trained beast?.

To rub salt into the wounds I took 4 places, 1/4 odds about Whisky Sour and he finishes 5th. A race to forget in an otherwise decent day :lol:

Last edited:
Strange pronunciation of the winner there during the ITV commentary. The whole way through the race he's called him LA goes to Vegas.

Unimportant I know but I got back from a fortnight in Vegas on Saturday and my intials are LA. As soon as I heard the pronunciation I thought to myself; why haven't I backed this Mullins trained beast?.

To rub salt into the wounds I took 4 places, 1/4 odds about Whisky Sour and he finishes 5th. A race to forget in an otherwise decent day :lol:

And I backed the bitch in the Cesarewitch last season :mad:

And that commentator is the ultimate oxymoron, a useless cvnt.

Last edited:
Great to see Calyx back up that debut. Destroyed em.

Happy to see Without Parole back up the faith.

Think Equilateral is the next Battaash

Hope he is too, at least at Ascot. Heavily involved in SN.

Tempted to take Cracksman on tomorrow as I don't think a fast surface on this track will suit but the watering worries me.

Aljazzi is a good ew bet in the Duke of C. Good second in this last year and this renewal is worse.

The watering, I would think, would actually make no difference to the going. I am close to the course and it is still 20 degrees here with lots of clouds, with no showers forecast over night. I would think it would be exactly the same as today.

Jessica Harrington has a couple going tomorrow. One, Brother Bear, ran well in the Coventry but decided to go ‘left hand down a bit’ and gave the race away. LTO was a much more mature performance. He clearly did well in his prep but a drifting price worries me somewhat. The other, Servalan, won very well and easily LTO ,on only her second run, coming through very quickly from the back to take a 38k prize. Given her SP of 10/1 she was unlikely to have been expected on the day but the money is there now.
I backed the Bear once the target was confirmed, singly, in a double with Alpha Centauri and in various multiples with the two being being anchor bets. The price drift means hope rather than anticipation.

The watering, I would think, would actually make no difference to the going. I am close to the course and it is still 20 degrees here with lots of clouds, with no showers forecast over night. I would think it would be exactly the same as today.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the clown of the course gets the watering right. I expect he'll over-water the middle and far side to attempt to address a possible disadvantage to the nearside. We'll maybe know more after the first race.

As i suspected wouldn't be gd/fm infact knowhere near first three races all group 2s slow by 1.65,3.39 and the last race 1.93..

6/4 About Hawkbill to be placed appeals to me..Didn't go a yard at Epsom on soft and back on better ground could maybe just squeeze into 3rd

From my blogski...

"Blue De Vega is the bet of the week in The Wokingham Handicap on Saturday.

This is a classy horse who was a group winner in Ireland, recently 4th in The Epsom Dash, when staying on, so the step up to six furlongs is the right move. I feel the faster the pace, the better the race, the better this horse will be. Major each way player at 16/1. My bet of the week. Good luck"

Last edited:
Geez, that Hunt Cup winner fairly pished up. I had it as an improver but didn't think it had that kind of run in it.

As I feared, the CoC has fvcked up the going. Both flanks of the track beaten some way out.

Good day yesterday. Have very nice possies on Invincible Army (double with Poet's Word) and Sioux Nation (ap) and am protecting by putting Equilateral in doubles with OOSG and Crystal Ocean. Have also got Vazirabad each way. Not sure Stradivarios will stay. Also backed Konchek in the Norfolk.

Back