Rsa Chase

Bar the Bull

At the Start
Final Result of the Royal & Sun Alliance Chase, 12th March 2008. 3m1f Cheltenham (Old Course)

1st Silverburn Ruby Walsh Paul Nicholls 4/1
2l Starzaan Tony Dobbin Hugh Morrison 10/1
4l Pomme Tiepy David Casey Willie Mullins 7/1
½l Albertas Run Tony McCoy Jonjo O’Neill 4/1
3l Air Force One Noel Fehily Charlie Mann 6/1
Fell Tidal Bay Denis O’Regan J Howard Johnson 7/2f

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Feb 19 2008, 04:07 PM
Final Result of the Royal & Sun Alliance Chase, 12th March 2008. 3m1f Cheltenham (Old Course)

1st Silverburn Ruby Walsh Paul Nicholls 4/1
2l Starzaan Tony Dobbin Hugh Morrison 10/1
4l Pomme Tiepy David Casey Willie Mullins 7/1
½l Albertas Run Tony McCoy Jonjo O’Neill 4/1
3l Air Force One Noel Fehily Charlie Mann 6/1
Fell Tidal Bay Denis O’Regan J Howard Johnson 7/2f
Is that a job application to replace Angus's BBC Raceometer or whatever he calls it!

Im firmly in the Air Force One camp now that Tidal bay has convinced me he thinks hes still over hurdles, and with HJ yet to confirm him for the race.

I think we seen the best trial for the race last weekend, and Air force One jumped well for the main part, he made two mistakes that cost him dear at vital stages. I still think he is the one to be on, im happy with my prices on him.

Silverburn and Noland are gonna be seriously shite prices come race day aren`t they. I`m gonna have to get the old laying boots on.

Back now, lay later.

I nearly put Silverburn as favourite in my tissue.

Silverburn is a decent horse. It is not a great year. He was 14/1 when I backed him last night. You are right in thinking that he will be a short price.

If ever there was a back to trade, this is it.

Noland, on the other hand, is a sh1t price now.

I am not sure about laying Noland, as I cannot see many decent alternatives. That said, I haven't done an in-depth on the race yet, as I am still gutted about Glencove Marina. I stood to win a fortune if that one won the Arkle. A fecking fortune.

Ok, I'm not so sure about Noland either - he hasn't done enough to indicate how good he is, he could be good.

Silverburn though I feel is thoroughly over-hyped, over exposed and been found wanting. When compared to his reputation that is.

I completely understand your point of view. But I feel that he has been improving all season. You can put a line through the Feltham as it was a nothing race with no pace on.

He looked to be well beaten by Hobbs Hill, but it was his first run of the season after having been riddled with ulcers for the summer.

His Scilly Isles win looked to me like a genuinely good win.

Maybe the second horse bounced. Maybe Wee Robbie isn't great. Maybe Silverburn is overhyped.

But when you see a horse who you quite fancy available at 14/1 and you know that he will be 5/1ish on the day, you have got to fill your boots.

Dontcha?

Will it be 5/1 on the day Bar? I see your point - if the horse does turn up in the day and is a much shorter price then yes, it makes sense to back it to lay back. That's two ifs though!

I'm also not sure about how good his improvement is. He won the Scilly Isles because the two better horses in the race were NRs - Hobbs Hill would have devoured him as an appetiser!

I wouldn't be laying Noland. If he jumps he's entitled to go close. Built to jump a fence and won a Supreme Novices over course and distance that has worked out very well since. Can't back him at the price either though.

Winner will come from this group of 9 :-
Bagan
Duc De Regniere
Glencove Marina
Gold Medallist
J´y Vole
Ornais
Oscar Park
Tidal Bay
Verasi

Tidal Bay stands out for me @ 9/1. I've also gone for one that likes good ground, Ornais @ 16/1 and one that must have soft, Verasi @ 40/1 to cover all angles.

Duc De Regniere was very disappointing at Wincanton - Starzaan had him well beaten a long way out and he didn't jump well. I fear he isn't as good as he was talked up to be pre-season.

Originally posted by Ian R@Feb 20 2008, 10:49 PM
Winner will come from this group of 9 :-
Bagan
Duc De Regniere
Glencove Marina
Gold Medallist
J´y Vole
Ornais
Oscar Park
Tidal Bay
Verasi

Tidal Bay stands out for me @ 9/1. I've also gone for one that likes good ground, Ornais @ 16/1 and one that must have soft, Verasi @ 40/1 to cover all angles.
At least three of those wont be running, in fact, more than half may not line up.

Back