RUK/McCoy

I also backed him that day, and figured "Fuck it - I'll get my cash back in the Greatwood".

Bugger.

Isn't there a bit of previous between Lydia and Mccoy? Something regarding Mccoy blanking her when she worked on the loveable and loyal-to horseracing BBC about 6 or 7 years ago?

Tony has always come across to me as a slightly vindictive person (which is just an unsavioury character trait that many people in all walks of life have) , but in my opinion when his jockeyship has slipped over the years (in terms of riding big winners on a regular basis), he's now sounding like a angry, bitter person who uses bully tactics to proclaim he never does anything wrong and any one who comments on his riding has no right to do so.

For the advertisment of the sport I have nothing against him winning spoty.

Last edited:
Tony has always come across to me as a slightly vindictive person

A definate one to harbour a grudge. The Gordon Brown (another little ray of sunshine) of the saddle

He made a comment similar to 'How many winners has she ridden?'.

He clearly doesn't like being criticised by a woman.

Does anyone really want such a petty brat as Sports personality of the year? No thanks.

Thanks very much, Hamm, for putting up the facts. I'm very pleased with Simon Holt's remarks and whoever the 'Racing Post analyst' is. Simon works for Ch.4, yes, but he also works for ATR courses and ATR has been pushing 'McCoy for SPOTY' through endless comments by its presenters for some time, so perhaps McCoy didn't want to rock ATR's canoe in any way? Who knows. It's very unfortunate that he's come over as a tantrumming child in the RUK case. I'm not sure that wannabe kids will be daft enough to copy that attitude, because if they're kids, they have a helluva way to go - including the razzing of weighing-room colleagues - before they even come close to McCoy's shining star. But it does show a rather childish side to what's supposed to be a fully-formed grown-up. Let's hope it's not a trait he instils in his little girl.

Anyone - anyone - should feel they have the right to question what looks to be a dodgy scenario, in any aspect of racing. Especially when lumps of money are involved, either to the benefit of the horse's connections or to the betting public. For example, suppose one of the RP's attending reporters had done a nudge-nudge, wink-wink interview with Mr Butterly, trainer of long shot to sure shot BRABAZON, at Lingfield? Questioned the likelihood of his declared jockey 'just' missing his flight, only to be miraculously replaced by little Freddie Mitchell, whose own Dad hasn't been too short on controversy as a trainer? It might've got a punch in the nose in response, which is one way of answering, but it would've been quite legit to have asked how serendipitous the whole affair was.

McCoy surely has the wit, by now, to come up with some facile answer - God knows, jockeys' reasons/excuses (your choice) for unusual rides/runs are like a Chinese takeaway menu - hundreds of choices in several columns. Personally, I'd have gone for No.37 with fried rice: "To be honest, Lydia, he just didn't seem to be travelling that well after he'd run too free. Just not settled well at all, and I couldn't be sure something wasn't perhaps about to go wrong with him. I'm just really glad that it didn't, but I didn't want to take that risk." With suitably slightly puzzled expression. Result: concerned, professional jockey not prepared to push the horse, implying that to do so would've been hard-hearted and uncaring.

He made a comment similar to 'How many winners has she ridden?'.

He clearly doesn't like being criticised by a woman.

Does anyone really want such a petty brat as Sports personality of the year? No thanks.
Yes that was it I think.

Re spoty I've only just read about this tbh. Lets face it though a lot of top sportsmen are arseholes.

Last edited:
We've had two races today at Wolverhampton with "Tony McCoy for BBC Sports Personality" and "Vote for Tony McCoy" in the title and now it's been announced that the big handicap at Cheltenham next Saturday will be called the "Vote AP Gold Cup."

Am I the only one to think that a victory for McCoy might well be counter-productive where there is perceived to have been an organised campaign by "racing" to ensure the outcome?

Am I the only one to think that a victory for McCoy might well be counter-productive where there is perceived to have been an organised campaign by "racing" to ensure the outcome?

Graham Cunningham said as much on his Sporting Life Q&A of earlier today, but the AP campaign makes Racing look needy and desperate. It is becoming cringe-enducing.

Indeed Homer particularly when he seems to treat the racing press with such contempt and has admitted himself he doesn't really care about being SPOTY.

The SPOTY is a load of bollocks and no one outside of betting circles cares who wins.

Last edited:
I swear if I hear "vote McCoy" once more!!! I don't blame him either - but the desperation of the media and RFC is really pathetic to watch.

More rubbish on this topic from Scudamore in today's Times - why do fellow jockeys feel the need to get involved - are they afraid of not standing behind AP?

Which Scu, Hamm - the old man or the Young Pretender? I'm assuming it's Tom as you say 'fellow', but be interesting to know what Dad thought, too! It does often, maybe too often, seem like 'all close ranks' if there's the slightest hint of criticism, whether it's of jockeys or trainers. "We can't allow these outsiders to say anything negative about us - we only want to talk when it promotes and compliments us." In other words, journalism as advertising.

Last edited:
Young one ... saying how it is fine to criticise but not to insinuate McCoy was cheating - bizarre comments.

If they did say that (which they didn't) - what is wrong with the idea that McCoy could front up and debate it with RUK, giving them a piece of his mind (if that is indeed what he wanted to do) as opposed to sulking like a little baby?

If you've done nothing wrong, all you have to do is to explain it civilly - after all, Lydia (or any other presenter) is only asking a question that, presumably, a great deal of racegoers would like to see asked? By saying that you won't talk to RUK again, neh-neh-neh, you are in essence saying you won't respond to your public. You're not really one-to-one as a public figure to a presenter: you're a public figure to the public. The presenter is just a mouthpiece. If you aren't going to respect the question, you aren't respecting the public. Okay, if the presenter is being extremely provocative and disrespectful themselves, you're entitled to a vigorous response, but you've still got to remember that behind that person, is a tv channel, and watching that are your fans and other interested parties. Your fans might forgive you, but others might think you protest a bit too much!

Well, dem's my sentiments, anyway!

Agree completely.

It is more than likely that he doesn't like being criticised by a woman, and that is a large part of this.

I agree completely. We should know our place, stay at home and have kids, cook the meals, and not get uppity ideas about careers - especially where they in any way, shape or form, could be thought to challenge a chap making an honest crust of bread. Shame on us!

On the other hand, I did say 'honest' crust of bread... (sound of door slamming, and another valued interviewee bites the dust). :lol:

I never watch SPOTY. Never

And now i think i heard that Colin Murray will be presenting it?

I would rather spend 4 hours in the dental chair without anesthetic

Chap from Northern Ireland - radio presenter on Radio 1 to start with and now seems to have graduated to sport. Also presents Channel 5's football coverage.

Back