Ryanair Chase

I'll be laying half back on Thursday mate so he'll be running for me for free at around the 81/ mark IMO - he's already no bigger than 9/1 with the NRNB bookies..

and it'll mean that I should be able to get bigger odds about my real fancy; Ma Filleule.

No offence Wilson but I think you need a lesson in maths

If you green up and put the entire profit on you will be backing for free around 8/1 if he goes as low as 10 to lay.

I simply can't see that happening he's 12/1 with some bookmakers and if he's that on the day you will make next to nothing.

You might be able to lay him at 12 (13 at the moment with 48 quid available) to lay and you'll have a free bet only at 4.4/1 with your profit if you put it back on to him.

.If you put your profit on Ma Filleule you will be getting much less on your original stake but it is a free bet. I'd get out now if I were you or hope some Betfair only punters back him on the machine in the next few days but the odds say they won't if the have a betting account with a major where the odds are better.

Last edited:
I simply can't see that happening he's 12/1 with some bookmakers and if he's that on the day you will make next to nothing.

The only bookie who is still offering 12/1 is Hills (not yet NRNB), Ladbrokes are now 8/1 (still NRNB) and Champagne Fever is still taking out c. 12% from an admittedly overound book. He won well LTO, would have won this last year if it wasn't for the now absent Dynaste and while this is a competitive race it is far from top class as this stage. Caveat: Hindsight may tell us that Don Cossack was the exception.

£50 @ 16/1 with Ladbrokes.

HC goes 7/1 to back, 8/1 to lay on the day. Which I think is more than realistic, especially when Champagne Fever is officially removed from the book so lay £50 to lose £400 on the exchanges and the risk of him not running is 99.9% removed;

He wins

£850 back from Ladbrokes
minus £400 Betfair losses
Profit = £450

He loses

£50 Exchange winnings (which is less £1.50 commission @ 3%)
minus £50 Ladbrokes stake
Losses = £1.50

Not quiet a free bet but I'll be risking £1.50 to win £450 and I'm not trying to cover my Ma Filleule stake, I'm happy to back her independently with one less danger.

If I'm wrong come the day, then I'm wrong but it's all about speculation...

Last edited:
Hidden Cyclone has been a talking horse for so long, he should have honorary membership on here. I don't like the mares' allowance in Grade 1 races and it could make all the difference here.

8 to lay HC........try 11 at best...he's 12 at the moment with no interest whatsoever and CF is drifting like a barge

Plus the irish money will go where it's been going since day 1........Sorry Wilson but I think your chances are slim at best

You may be right but I can walk away this minute with the bullseye back in my pocket AND the chance of winning c. £200 if he wins.

Which isn't bad for a couple of minutes work - I've put more effort into replying to you ;)

Last edited:
Not sure Champagne Fever is absolutely nailed on for the CC. Its certainly the preference judging by connection quotes but they still may go Ryanair

I have read/heard from preview nights, Rich Ricci saying that Ballycasey scoped badly after his last run and is going well at home-likely to go to the Ryanair. Also, Patrick Mullins is making sounds that Boston Bob could go for the Ryanair.

I'd say the chances of Champagne Fever going here are very very slim at this stage given they're looking at running either (or both) of these two in it.

The QMCC is the big one. They're not interested in this tin cup.

The QMCC is the big one. They're not interested in this tin cup.

Think if I had Ricci's money and a classy horse like Champagne Fever, I'd do exactly the same,too.
Can't understand this love affair with Ma Filleule, though. Balder Succes had her on toast a long time before fitness became an issue, and there's no way I can see her reversing the form at Cheltenham,

Last edited:
You may be right but I can walk away this minute with the bullseye back in my pocket AND the chance of winning c. £200 if he wins.

Which isn't bad for a couple of minutes work - I've put more effort into replying to you ;)

I'll take as many of them as I can get. :)

I have read/heard from preview nights, Rich Ricci saying that Ballycasey scoped badly after his last run and is going well at home-likely to go to the Ryanair. Also, Patrick Mullins is making sounds that Boston Bob could go for the Ryanair.

Indeed Ballycasey's run at ascot was too bad to be true. Maybe I shouldn't give up on my AP interest in him just yet. Bit of a leap of faith to see him in the shake-up though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real shame about Cue Card, he would have been in with a decent shout.

I really like Balder Succes, think he could go very close indeed. Can't be having Hidden Cyclone at all, happy to be proved wrong.

Indeed Ballycasey's run at ascot was too bad to be true. Maybe I shouldn't give up on my AP interest in him just yet. Bit of a leap of faith to see him in the shake-up though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too bad to be true, but there's always something with this horse. Has to be one of the most over-hyped horses in training. He will most likely pop up with a big win again, but when that will be is anyone's guess.

Think you're right with 'leap of faith', but sure you never know.

Foxrock will be supplemented for the Ryanair Chase at the Cheltenham Festival after owner Barry Connell ruled out a tilt at the Gold Cup.

Ridiculous if true. Horses simply are not going slow enough for him to catch them short of 3 miles (beat handicappers in the Melling)

From the Mullins column Euro,

"We're having a look at possibly switching Bob from the Gold Cup to this race. I'm not saying it will happen but it is an option".

Taquin Du Seuil taken out of the handicap on the Thursday
16/1 still available, Full steam ahead methinks

Back