Sam Thomas airlifted to hospital

Aldaniti

At the Start
SAM THOMAS was airlifted to hospital early on Thursday morning following a bad fall when schooling on Paul Nicholls' gallops.
Thomas, riding Nicholls' Arkle hope Woolcombe Folly in a schooling session with Chapoturgeon, who was partnered by Tony McCoy, fell heavily at the last of six fences.

The trainer immediately summoned an air ambulance, which landed on the grass schooling gallop above Ditcheat village ten minutes later. It took almost half an hour to stabilise the jockey, who never lost consciousness but had clearly been seriously injured, before he could be rushed to hospital in Bath.

The extent of Thomas's injuries is not known, but a visibly shaken Nicholls said: "You know when a jockey has suffered a bad fall, and I'm afraid this was bad

sounds far "better" on sportinglife though:

"
Sam Thomas was this morning airlifted to hospital after suffering a bad fall on the gallops at Paul Nicholls' yard.
Thomas is reported to have escaped serious injury, but is still doubtful to appear at next week's Cheltenham Festival.
The Gold Cup-winning jockey sustained back and neck injuries and was taken to Royal United Hospital in Bath following a schooling accident at first lot.
Trainer Tom George, for whom Thomas is stable jockey, told Press Association Sport: "He had a bad fall schooling at Paul Nicholls' yard this morning and was airlifted to hospital.
"I've spoken to his girlfriend, who has been allowed to talk to him.
"Initial X-rays have shown that there are no broken bones.
"He's very stiff and sore but we are very hopeful there is no serious damage.
"The next 24 hours will tell us more."
A spokesperson for Nicholls' yard added: "He was down schooling first lot this morning when he had a fall.
"He was taken to the Royal United Hospital in Bath."

Horrible. Even if it's 'only' torn muscles, that'll be enough to get him stood down, I imagine, since he wouldn't have proper control over the horse.

The timing is terrible for him but I'm relieved it's not as bad as it first sounded.

RP site now states he will miss the Festival after they found he had cracked vertebrae in his neck.

Good job the Air Ambulance is available for falls such as these - it was there within 10 minutes and they took 30 mins to stabilise him. Considering how important those minutes are, it is incredible to think that the Air Ambulance service is funded by charity - it costs £800/hour to run. I am riding Regis Flight in a charity race at our local Point-to-point for this particular regional air ambulance and if I make enough to fund it for an hour, I will be pretty pleased. All donations gratefully received!

Definitely not riding anything, anywhere, for some time then. Very unfortunate for him in the short term, but how much worse this could've been one doesn't want to think - regardless of opinions over his riding. Let's hope the Nicholls' yard gives the Air Ambulance a decent donation.

Considering how important those minutes are, it is incredible to think that the Air Ambulance service is funded by charity !

It is one of lifes great travestys. Especially if like here your local A&E is closed to save the PCT money, the Air Ambulance is now vital in major accidents round here as it is an extra 20 mins to the nearest A&E, and that isn't capable of treating majr injury. In August & September last year the GNAA saved 2 people I know very well, who would have died if going by road, one was featured on Real Rescues, the other is the "face of the Air Angels"

Back