Sam Thomas

Good luck to him and I hope it works out well. Far from the greatest jockey in the world but looking back at it all now Nicholls treatment to him was pretty shoddy...rather than standing up for him he went to the press instead saying he was going to consult with Alex Ferguson (had to read that twice) and then the humming and hawwing over what rides the guy would have. Deserved better...

By Rodney Masters5.58PM 29 MAY 2009
SAM THOMAS has been appointed stable jockey to Gloucestershire trainer Tom George.

Breaking the news to racingpost.com at Towcester on Friday night, George said:"As of now, Sam is my number one jockey. We had a talk about it today, and agreed it would be a first class arrangement for everyone."
Thomas, who won the 2008 Cheltenham Gold Cup on Denman, has been riding as number two to Ruby Walsh for champion trainer Paul Nicholls.
George, who has 60 horses including Racing Post Chase winner Nacarat, added: "We've raised the profile of our team and it was only right that we have a top class jockey to ride them. And Sam is top class."
Thomas, who declined to commenton how the arrangement will tie in with his link with Denman, said last night: "I'm thrilled to be appointed stable jockey to Tom George.
"He has an exciting team, including a lot of Saturday horses. I'll still plan to ride out when required for Venetia Williams and Paul Nicholls."

glad he has got a job at a different stable think he got some bad press for not doing to much wrong , his only mistake was put kauto star into the side of the fence.

good luck to him!

Good move - better to be the No.1 for an upcoming, younger trainer, than the perpetual also-ran to Ruby, who shows no signs of waning or wanting to leave the business.

Good move - better to be the No.1 for an upcoming, younger trainer, than the perpetual also-ran to Ruby, who shows no signs of waning or wanting to leave the business.

Tom George has been training for 16 years and is only slightly younger than PHN, but I take your point that this is an excellent and timely career move for Sam Thomas. With the emergence of young Skelton, and the less than wholehearted support he'd received from Nicholls in the past, he probably saw the writing on the wall.

That's a shame - Tom George's horses have usually been very good jumpers in the past. I'm sure Thomas will address that soon enough.

Back