Sam Waley-Cohen

Im never one to back owners but its their horse and who rides it is their business. Calling it "vanity" when the jockey is certainly up to scratch is too much.

There does seem to be more vitriol or sneering at these connections than might normally be expected, especially given the results

If I ever own a decent horse, and if my son is a capable jockey, I would give him a go on the horse if he were game ball.

Really ? It's a dangerous game !

As regards the Waley-Cohens, it's their horse they can choose who ever they want to ride it. I don't hear people saying Fran Berry shouldn't be allowed ride for.....well just about anyone :whistle:
Who ever pays the bills gets the choice and everyone else just has to factor that in when trying to find the winner.

Last 5 seasons under rules

NHF - 5runs - 1win - 3places - win 20% - place 80%

Hurdles - 37runs - 6wins - 5places -win 16% - place 30%

Chases - 65runs - 13wins - 15places - win 20% - place 43%

10 x 4th places as well - so some of them may have placed?

A record any pro jockey would be proud of imo.

Last edited:
Really ? It's a dangerous game !

As regards the Waley-Cohens, it's their horse they can choose who ever they want to ride it. I don't hear people saying Fran Berry shouldn't be allowed ride for.....well just about anyone :whistle:
Who ever pays the bills gets the choice and everyone else just has to factor that in when trying to find the winner.

He would obviously need to show some modicum of ability first.

I think Waley-Cohen senior must have been one of the happiest men in the world on March 18th. I wouldn't begrudge him at all for putting his son up. It must be very satisfying to see his son work really hard for years to progress from Shit Jockey (7) to Dodgy Jockey (5) to Gold Cup winning jockey (!).

I wouldn't have the hard-on for him as a jockey that some of the others seem to, though. He has improved, but he's no Tom Queally yet.

I wouldn't have the hard-on for him as a jockey that some of the others seem to, though. He has improved, but he's no Tom Queally yet
. :D

I'd be doing Henny Knight impressions if any of mine wanted to be a jumps jock.Genetics would indicate I'm safe enough.

W-C junior rides will enough, good luck to him and his Dad.

I think it should be up to the owner who they want to ride the horse,if they pay the bills then they are entitled to indulge whoever they want. For example, I will be taking the ride on the 3yo I have a share in with OTB. Are there better jockeys available?? Probably...depending on what day the horse runs....but I pay the bills so Im taking the ride.

Last edited:
Im never one to back owners but its their horse and who rides it is their business. Calling it "vanity" when the jockey is certainly up to scratch is too much.

There does seem to be more vitriol or sneering at these connections than might normally be expected, especially given the results

Aaargh - read my post I was referring to the case when a son or daughter rides daddy's horse and is incompetent . There is no problem from a punting or other perspective if they are competent as SWC so plainly is . The problem arises when their limited ability holds the horse back .

Consider Dido Harding she did work out in the end that Cool Dawn might be a better horse without her on it !

I was mildly rude about SWC after the Paddy Power, but I'm prepared to concede he was very probably not at fault at all, and the horse simply needed further.

That said, I would have about 40 pilots ahead of him in the queue, if I had to pick a jockey for my horse. If there is a whiff of sour-grapes on this thread about the fact that Sam Waley-Cohen managed to get Long Run home, it's equalled by the amount of misty-eyed, romanticised, flannel being spouted in his defence.

Sam Waley-Cohen is a competent jockey. But then again, so is Tom Scudmore and he gets filleted on here at every opportunity. :cool:

Last edited:
Do you have your bedroom kitted out in brown and orange by any chance?? Pictures of SWC on the ceiling perhaps?

Last edited:
Shadz, this all started because you said "I'm fed up of reading the "Long Run can't win the King George/Gold Cup...with Waley Cohen in the saddle" crap. "

All I said was that it might be the horse that has proven extremely capable rather than the jockey but I did say that SWC has improved immensely this season. Some think there is some weird ego rubbish going on. That I must be an unloved child or something like that. Sour grapes. Whatever. Shadz, I'll just point to a quote you made and then ask how you can reconcile the quote above to the quote below.

Sam Waley-Cohen may not be the perfect jockey but he is a good one. He is an amateur for God's sake, he doesn't have the experience of the pros as he doesn't ride all day, every day. Yet he is good for what he is - he'd be one of the top amateurs and if he doesn't ride fashionably, so what? He may ride with an unfashionable near hunting-style seat but do you know what? He doesn't fall off them often; that hunting seat does its job nicely, especially over those Aintree fences.

So maybe the horse is just good enough to make up for the amateur. And that's allowed.

PS I have no problem with Barry Connell riding his own horses, or SWC riding his own horses. Joseph O'Brien was given a leg up but he has also improved a lot.

Last edited:
Back