Sandown Gold Cup day

Hamm

At the Start
Help me win some money.

Surely Faasel is overpriced at 25s? Ran really well at Cheltenham. The Nicholls horse also worth a mention. Not a fan of either of the front 2 in the market.

Want to take Tataniano on with French Opera but need to have a look at the prices. Hoping the former is underpriced.

Afsare should be interesting to see out again.

Thoughts?

Two short ones for Ruby tomorrow Tataniano and Sanctuaire.Powers go 11/10 Tat and 11/4 French Op.
If Tataniano is fit enough to be raced and entered in a Grade 1 at Punchestown you would have to fancy him for this.Odds against is a bet in my book and if he drifts in the market that won't put me off.
Sanctuaire is far from bomb proof-might be worth being in a Powers shop -they keep betting after the off.

Surely the prices with Sanctuaire and Clerk's Choice should be the other way round?

Your theory of Sanctuaire needing a decent gallop would also go against him..

Ladbokes are evens Tataniano,Hills 11/8.
The first race is a real headscratcher -Ruby is on a talented headbanger -will the other jocks ride to beat him.

I like Exmoor Ranger in the 3:10. This horse has only run at Sandown the twice but both times he's run well including when nearly beating a previous winner of this race in Monkerhostin last year when coming 2nd in a class two chase.

He didn't stay in the Welsh National but it was a mud bath and given one of his best runs to date was when third to Midnight Chase at Cheltenham at the start of the season on good ground, he might get the trip tomorrow on the decent ground he'll get.

He does make the odd blunder but I think this is one of the top races in the NH calendar where you can actually put in a howler and still win it; Briery Fox was similar (runs at the age of 13 tomorrow can you beleive!) and he nearly won it in two years ago after making a bad blunder on the day. He was beaten by a horse in Hennessy who wasn't exactly the model of jumping consistency in his career either.

Last edited:
Strange angle marble, sandwon and warwick are 2 courses where i think you need to jump well on the back straight, need to get into a rhythm otherwise many lengths can be lost.

Was lucky enough to spend some time with Nicholls last year, around this time as it happened, and the one thing I took away from it was how much they held Tataniano in high esteem. I was waiting to plunge on the horse all year when better ground came around. I'd imagine there is a method in waiting around for this...

If you punted the Paul Nicholls card you would be broke by around the February each season but holding two ante post vouchers for French bred runners in the Arkle and Triumph, neither of which you will collect on.

Re Sandown, just saying I remember 2009 well and how Briery Fox made a bad blunder and still nearly won the Gold cup. Overall I'm sure you're right about horses needing to get into a rhythm at Sandown.

Last edited:
You can get some blinding value the night before big race days when firms trading departments are almost forced to price up by marketing departments and inevitably make errors with not much traded on Betfair.

I've had a small tickle in the 4.50 on Huygens at 12s having missed the 16s and 14s. He has some good form round here and has been gelded over the Winter. The yard had a winner at Folkestone the other day and the fav looks your usual lazy Stoute handicap favourite with no form to back up being at the top of the market.

Boyles went 13/8 Inexile last night - kerching!!!

I think you'll find Knock Stars EW is the bet in that event. ;)

Really stayed on last week at Naas and gets another pull at the weights with Inxile but the Nicholls horse will be hard to peg back. Just thought Knock Stars would be 5s or 6s.

I think you'll find Knock Stars EW is the bet in that event. ;)

Really stayed on last week at Naas and gets another pull at the weights with Inxile but the Nicholls horse will be hard to peg back. Just thought Knock Stars would be 5s or 6s.

Took the early 25/1 last week on Knock Stars - she is the most likely with Katla to make a race of it - may save on her again - one earlier that I cannot let go even after doing my brains on him last week is Balmont Mast ew at 12/1. Would have finished a lot closer to the impressive winner but for his draw and the fact he hung like a gate all the way up the straight. This looks like a decent handicap but he is dropped 2 lbs and Ben claims 3lbs for his handicap bow. Backing him a loser this week would be easier on my sanity than missing him as a winner!:eek:

Dick Turpin looks as cracking a 5/6 bet as you'll get. His main rival has had the ground go completely against him, and Music show is well behind DT on last year's ratings. Add to that Dick Turpin is extremely consistent and you remove more doubts again. Hannon usually has them ready to run in this as well.

I know this won't be popular with all :) but Afsare looks very progressive, and the Hampton Court looks a really nice race, with all those around him having very nice form. I'm not usually a fan of Cumani hotpots but this one has some really really nice form from last year. Viscount Nelson needs a collar, not a visor, and Kings Gambit never wins. 9/4 Afsare well worth a bet IF he is ready to run.

I've had a small bet on Poker De Sivola, and an even smaller one on Church Island, in the Gold Cup.

The hurdle and chase are desperate.

I'll back Cityscape in the Mile in the belief that his ground preferences have been overstated and the market has reacted accordingly. Little between him and Dick Turpin on form.

Interested as to how you have come to that conclusion?

Dick Turpin is a Group 1 winner, and multiple Group 1 runner up; Cityscape won a back end soft ground race where all the distances that day seem to have been exaggerated.

With regard to Tataniano, why should he be the price he is compared to French Opera? I realise he is the more unexposed, but this far from guarantees further improvement. The price already assumes it's there. Furthermore, he is rated the lower of the two, and giving 4 pounds away. When you also build in the fact that French Opera will love this ground, it is hard to understand why he is nearly 3 times the price of Tataniano. I am not saying Tataniano won't win, but the prices seem ahl wrang to me.

Back