Sandown Sell-Out

Tonight was a pain in the arse too.

Nearly forgot about it. How was the show?!?!?! Ye must have been beside yerself with excitement!! :p

I heard something about an agonizingly long warm-up act though? Something about horses running around in a circle... how dull!

Last edited:
Shame you couldn't have been sent up to Cartmel instead where admittedly the weather wasn't the best but there was (relatively speaking) little aggro from the drunkards.
And of course no pop concert afterwards!

Yes,realistically it's an overnight stay job from our neck of the woods,mind you I'm sure a lady of your means could hire a plane for the day!

It seems pretty harsh to me to, even metaphorically, tell the genuine racing enthusiast to feck off because he's not spending enough money in favour of a bunch of airheads ........

Tonight was a pain in the arse too.

I was glad given the weather i didn't go to Sandown, can;t have been veryinviting! A capacity crowd requires sunshine to keep most of them outdoors...

I'd agree with your first statement Shadz if anyone was telling the racing fan to ferk orf - but I don't think they are! They're just trying to provide additional entertainment to keep the other - spending - kind happy :o

Thought it was a great night actually. It was busy yeah but it was controlled. We got there shortly before the 7.15 and watched the racing before the main event.

Had a couple of winners and actually thought it was no different to going to a normal race meeting tbh, good atmosphere and whilst yes there was alot of 16 - 21 females around, I thought that made it much better.

All in all a good night and plenty of staff in hand and plenty of Fosters Jet Pack people, Girls Aloud were very good and much enjoyed it.

There you go then - everyone happy! I'm just getting a bit old for that kind of gig LOL but glad you enjoyed it

But I'm all for anything within reason which keeps racecourses solvent and well-staffed
I was very impressed with Sandown after spending a couple of days working there the other week. Very well organised - and the press office responded to requests for info immediately

Sandown Reaction

I spoke to a work colleague today who attended the Sandown meeting last Thursday evening and said it was a thoroughly enjoyable occasion. This seems to be borne out by comments reported in the RP yesterday.

More disquieting was the development that Newmarket had seen one of its Owners badges for Friday evening up for sale on EBay for £45. Newmarket had a number of non-runners and will doubtless be investigating how this happened and taking appropriate action.

I don't know if the touts were in evidence at Sandown last Thursday or whether any Owners badges were "available" for sale. Clearly, this is a risk courses putting on bands of the popularity of Girls Aloud or Madness are going to have to deal with though I suspect they'll keep it quiet.

One other aspect of this which does trouble me is the divergence of expectation which will develop. Courses like Sandown, Newmarket, Aintree and Epsom which can tempt the really big names will do well and get the 15,000 crowds paying £25 - £30 each. People might come to expect that every course will have a Girls Aloud or Madness and might not be so happy to see Platinum Abba or some other tribute band and pay £20 - £25 for the privilege. We'll see...

UB40 went down really well at Newbury the other evening. Management were rumoured to be thrilled with the attendance figures on that particular evening.. It looks like attracting some top named bands to play after racing is going to be with us indefinitely.

In any event, there must be a system in here somewhere if loads of novice race goers are turning up with no comprehension of form and affecting on course markets by backing "Frankie" blind. It's one of the reasons I strugle with jumps racing as the geenral person who can be bothered to huddle in the rain and snow of Ludlow on a Tuesday is invariably more knowledgable than the Summer social race goer

I don't know if Meister Mordin ever looks in here obviously, but I was taken by his article in this weeks Weekender which half alludes to this, although its essentially aimed at 49's and virtual racing but signs off on the idea that we should target meetings with pop bands playing. I redproduce most of it thus;

"I confess I have a dreadful fascination with the virtual racing that has been offered by British off-course bookmakers in recent years. What fascinates me is that people are prepared to bet on it. Afterall, as 49's limited, the producer of the product says in its website, "virtual racing is a computer generated presentation of a random number draw". In other words there is no way you can use your skill to improve your chances. A chimp is as likely to make a profit betting on virtual racing as a genius. No attempt is made to disguise this fact. Indeed, 49's limited describes the USP (unique selling point) of its product as "all the drama and excitment of the real thing - without the form". Wow. There was I thinking all the drama and excitment stemmed from studying the form and testing your opinion against the result. Recently I spoke to Miles Phillips, marketing manager of 49's limited about what i still insist on calling cartoon racing. He told me me the races 'run' at Portman Park, Steepledowns, Sprint Valley and the two virtual greyhound tracks generate about £420 million in betting turnover each year.

As a racing journalist this amazes me. As a punter its got me worried. It shakes my faith in the idea that most punters bet because they want to test their analytical skills as much they want to gamble. The more troubling aspect of the betting turnover being generated by virtual racing is that it could take a large slice of the 'mug money' out of betting on the real thing. The important thing to realise is that whether you're betting with a bookmaker, the Tote, or on a betting exchange, your winnings come from the losses of other punters. Take out a large slice of the 'mug money' and you reduce the losses other punters make, and therefore your own winnings. When the 'mugs' are betting on something else, the smarties are left to bet against each other, so it becomes harder to make a profit.

The problem is that it's not only the betting turnover on virtual racing that is increasing. Pretty much every other form of gambling over the past decade has increased whilst racings market share has been reduced. One way or another the 'mugs' are betting less on horseracing, leaving you and I to try grab each others money.

The introduction of betting exchanges hasn't helped this situation either. Although they've massively reduced the cost of betting on horseracing (which has to be welcomed), they've also attracted a smarter and richer punter into the game. The typical betting exchange punter doesn't see betting as a leisure activity. They are seriosuly trying to win and are prepared to study hard in an attempt to do so. I can tell you from my own experience that it has become increasingly difficult to make a profit from horseracing betting over the last decade. Thanks to the increase in the number of smart punters and the decreasing percentage of 'mugs', the betting market has become much more efficient. The betting odds now reflect the real chance of runners much more closely than they did ten or 20 years ago. It's much harder to gain and edge - at least on an everyday basis".

(he then goes on to explain that Gp1's are the easiest to pick a winner in and that Lucarno is a nailed on certainty and reminds us yet again that he used to work in advertising before returning to the theme)

"I won't be complaining about the 'dumbing down' of racing that seems to irritate so many fans of the sport. I would like to think that the right way to promote racing is to highlight the intellectual challenge of picking a winner. That may be what keeps established fans like you and me interested. But in this age of reality TV, tabloid journalism and decreasing educational standards I don't think a product can be created for a mass market by promoting its intellectual appeal.

The truth is we need the 'mug money' generated by new racing fans who aren't as smart at picking winners as us. Their losses subsidise old fans like you and me and keep us interested.

I say bring on the pop bands, the new Sovereign Series and populist presenters such as John McCririck. You don't have to like them to realise they're good for racing - and your bank balance"

Last edited:
Don't worry, 1st August at Bath, The Wurzels have already sold 7,000 tickets in advance and thats what you call a proper concert, I can hear the harmonies of I Am A Cider Drinker already ringing out around Lansdowne. Promises to be well over 10,000 in attendance I'm sure.

That's fascinating Warbler and definitely ties in with a lot of what I've seen.

I've heard guys in the local bookies say when they've seen a poor - they would say dodgy - ride, or seen their NH horse fall over or BD, that they were going to stick to cartoon racing in future! And they do bet on the stuff, if there is a longish gap between races...

<< When the 'mugs' are betting on something else, the smarties are left to bet against each other, so it becomes harder to make a profit. >>

This also ties in with personal observation - I'm sure that there were much longer odds available on a lot of horses 2/3 years ago than tends to be the case now. The money that is around is much shrewder for most racing outside the big popular races, and shorter odds for anything remotely fanciable seem to reflect this; could it explain the reported bigger overrounds these days?

I don't know what's been happening at the Weekender recently. A couple of weeks ago it was Segal moaning about the effect of exchanges and that they were damaging his own betting, now its Mordin complaining that he's losing. Winstanley gives the impression that he's routinely been settting fire to £20 notes for years.

I'd be half interested to know what the winning SP's are at concert meetings, or if you could lay Frankie Dettori blind for isntance. My gut reaction is there might be s system in it somewhere, but I'm not sur ehow you'd go around researching one

Went to Haydock yesterday evening with a couple of non-punter friends. No pop concert afterwards and it was dire racing but give the (biggish) crowd credit, it was a Harvey Nicholls sponsored ladies evening but before every race there was hardly anyone in the bar, they were all outside cheering on their fancies. This in contrast apparently to Goodwood on Thursday. This is taken from Richard Birch`s column in the Post:

I`m a guest in a Richmond Enclosure hospitality restaurant. It`s full of people who have not the slightest interest in the racing. I wonder why they bother turning up.
The televisions have no commentary. When Yeats, when of the most recognisable racehorses in Britain wins the Goodwood Cup, nobody celebrates or cheers. It`s weird, surreal.
Outside the room a conspicuously young clientele preen, pose, swear, drink and then drink some more. Am I at Wimbledon dogs? It`s my first visit to Glorious Goodwood for five years. I recall when 90 per cent of the crowd came to watch the racing. Now that figure appears to be ten per cent. The whole atmosphere is different. Not as glorious.

I'd be half interested to know what the winning SP's are at concert meetings, or if you could lay Frankie Dettori blind for isntance. My gut reaction is there might be s system in it somewhere, but I'm not sur ehow you'd go around researching one

The night Girls Aloud played, there were so many mug punters around the bookmakers could do what they wanted. In one race one of the "big three" was betting to 144% - I can't remember the field size, it was around 14 if I remember correctly. Yet the queues of punters at their pitch stretched right back - they had the prime pitch at the top of the rails and people were clearly going no further than there despite the disgusting prices they wre offering.

The QEII, Royal Lodge Stakes, Fillies Mile....that wonderful meeting at Ascot in September is being marketed as the "Ascot Beer Festival". Wonder what sort of crowd that will attract?

The QEII, Royal Lodge Stakes, Fillies Mile....that wonderful meeting at Ascot in September is being marketed as the "Ascot Beer Festival". Wonder what sort of crowd that will attract?

My thoughts exactly, talk about encouraging the riff raff.
If I were the Queen and owned the course, I'd be looking for new management pdq :cool:

bloody hell Chris

I hope your comments re these bands is tongue in cheek

if not

you have sh*te taste in music :D

There is nothing wrong with Girls Aloud, especially Nicola :)

Also everyone from somerset is a "closet" Wurzel's fan. I wouldn't know anyone that doesn't think there great around here and you would be surprised at the age of the majority of their fan base. I've seen the fittest 16 - 25 year old lassies banging it out at a Wurzel's Barn Party on the Mendips, we don't hip hop down here you know.

Well at least he was taking an interest in the racing...

Angry punter holds up race

Tom O'Ryan

AN angry punter, seemingly the worse for drink, held up the third race at Carlisle on Monday night for fully eight minutes after remaining on the course and shouting abuse at jockeys.

The man, who appeared to be in his 30s, made his way down the middle of the course to the five furlong start, where the six juvenile runners were assembled, and, despite requests for him to go back under the rails, he refused to leave the course for several minutes.

A deputation of course workers drove down the track to speak to the man, who, by this time had moved back under the rails, though not before angrily shouting at the jockeys. Once the race was over, he was approached by two police officers, who could be seen putting handcuffs on the man and leading him away.

Tom Eaves, who rode the unplaced Liberty Lodge in the race, said; "He was shouting stuff at us as we walked around at the start and wouldn't get out of the way." The race was eventually won by the favourite Zelos Girl, ridden by Saleem Golam and trained by Rae Guest.

Monday night's incident at Carlisle follows spectator trouble at Newmarket, Sandown and Newbury earlier this summer.

Drinking and Racing

I gather there was also an incident in the Lennox Enclosure at Goodwood last Wednesday where a brawl had to be broken up by stewards. How long will it be before Ascot advertise "an afternoon mass rioting" with some racing as support ??

Seriously, this is becoming a real problem and of course we can't expect the parasites who own and run Britain's racecourses to do anything more than wring their hands, blame society and watch the money surge through the tills.

I could live with a situation where all enclosures were "dry" and alcohol could only be consumed only in restaurants. McCririck, for whom I've usually no time at all, does make the sensible suggestion that drinking be barred in front of the stands. At Lingfield, the boozed up parties sup Pimms or lager from plastic containers in front of the stands and become more rowdy and inconsiderate with time but no one stops them.

The other "myth" is that making people dress up and charging them more for admission encourages better behaviour. The worst offenders are corporate boxes and groups of men in suits in the "Premier" enclosures for whom £25 or more is meaningless against an afternoon or evening's drinking.

Back