Sandown Sell-Out

I'd very much agree that the old style reverting back to drinks not being allowed to be taken out to the front of the stands is the best option.

It's surely no coincidence that tracks like Sandown, Newmarket and Ascot - where it is allowed to take drinks in front of the stand - are the ones suffering the biggest problems? It is still not allowed at Newbury, granted, but I have yet to come across people as drunk and rowdy there as I come across them at places like Sandown, Newmarket and Aintree - all of which places employ kids with backpacks full of lager to hawk their wares amongst the crowd in front of, and amongst, the stands.

I still find it amazing that Ascot are claiming there was no drunken behaviour at the King George meeting - not least when at one point an official had to be called since a young lad, pissed as a parrot, was happily having a slash in the stands.

The other "myth" is that making people dress up and charging them more for admission encourages better behaviour. The worst offenders are corporate boxes and groups of men in suits in the "Premier" enclosures for whom £25 or more is meaningless against an afternoon or evening's drinking.

Don't start me on that one. Suffice to say that those involved in the infamous brawl at the Guineas a couple of years back were all adhering to the dress code...

Ah yes, that brawl. I drove through the middle of that, all the while restraining my passenger and telling him that no, he couldn't jump out and show them what was what.....!

I was talking about the one that happened on the back of the grandstand; the bit overlooking the parade ring. Maybe we should start naming them to avoid confusion :p

Welcome to listowelraces.ie...
The origing of Listowel races can be traced back to an annual gathering at Ballyeigh, Ballybunion, about nine miles from Listowel. This event, which can be traced back to the early nineteenth century, consisted of a variety of games, horse-racing and a pre-arranged faction fight which concluded the event.

The above quote, from the Listowel racecourse website, provides a clue. Make these brawling attention seekers part of the programme, at the end of the day when everyone else has gone home.

I was talking about the one that happened on the back of the grandstand; the bit overlooking the parade ring. Maybe we should start naming them to avoid confusion :p

Ah, I thought you meant the one in the carpark after racing on 1000 Guineas day to which Lisa Hancock was infamously dragged out to try and control!

Meanwhile, up the road at Limerick things seem to have got seriously out of hand:

The Newcastle Race course - now the
Castletroy Golf Course - was for many
years the arena for bloody encounters
between rival gangs. It is said that no
meeting ever went off there without a
murder or two. After a number of
factionists were killed during meetings in
1867, the owner of the course refused to
lease it for horse racing in 1868, and for
ever after. Thereafter, the races were held
at Ballinacurra. In October, 1868, a fight
took place there in which two powerful
men from Blackwater, father and son,
were so badly injured that Dr. Peppard
"could not pronounce their lives out of
danger". The victims had been set upon by
about ten or twelve seasoned factionists
who pinned them to the ground, while
others pounded their heads with "large
stones which they had taken from a
nearby wall". On the same occasion 37
persons were treated in Barrington's
Hospital for serious injuries sustained in a
number of fights there, the staff, nurses
and doctors, working into the small hours.

Today the old feuds are forgotten, and
the descendants of the old factionists find
it hard to accept that their ancestors were
prepared to maim and kill each other over
silly arguments or disagreements.

I think racecourse security is excellent ~ only on Saturday at Goodwood, dressed in an expensive suit and completely sober, I was informed that I would be removed from the Richmond Enclosure unless I purchased a tie. I thought it might make more sense to ask me to confine myself to the Gordon Enclosure since that's where I had come from but it seems the threat of expulsion is more impressive. Meanwhile, in the Lennox Enclosure, the dress code seems to be "wear pants if possible".

Taken from the Sandown website.

SANDOWN PARK IS A SELL OUT FOR MADNESS MUSIC NIGHT ON THURSDAY 7 AUGUST

All enclosures at the Racecourse are now SOLD OUT for the Madness Music Night on Thursday 7 August.

Madness, Britain’s most successful chart band in music history, have had twenty-one top-twenty singles in a seven year period from ’78-’86, and many more since (over 30 in total), which include ‘It Must Be Love’, ‘Embarrassment’, ‘Baggy Trousers’, ‘My Girl’ and ‘One Step Beyond’. This was a great achievement and set the tone for almost three decades of complete Madness. The band’s sound developed from their early ska routes, showing their love of Motown/Stax rhythms and three minute melodies almost ignored in Britain since the late 60’s.

Today, you can hear them everywhere: in the hurdy-gurdy exuberance of The Kaiser Chiefs, in the staccato rhythms of Franz Ferdinand, in the ska-tones of The Ordinary Boys and even in the clever knowing pop of Robbie Williams – Madness are all around us and now they’re back, bringing Madness to the masses again with last years sets at Glastonbury, Bestival and the London O2 adding to the legand!

Gates open: 3:30pm
First race: 5:45pm
Last race: 8:25pm
Live Music: 8:45pm to 10:15pm (approx)

Back