Sandown: Tingle Creek Day

Shame about Gibb River. Just never really travelled quite as well on the bridle as some of those around him, imo. Game effort all the same, and whilst I reckon he'll come on for this, I don't think we we're particularly unlucky today. Be interesting to see how much he is put up after this.

Last edited:
Al Ferof isnt top class imo. Very surprise if he wins the Arkle. Willg et outpace at a criticial stage imo & will jsut stay on.

Great performance by Sizing Europe, and Kauto Stone ran better than I expected.

For all that I doubted this was his trip, Wishfull Thinking is starting to look disappointingly one-dimensional

Last edited:
Great performance by Sizing Europe, and Kauto Stone ran better than I expected.

For all that I doubted this was his trip, Wishfull Thinking is starting to look disappointingly one-dimensional

Presuambly there's a problem for him to weaken again like that, equally, tactics like that aren't ever going to allow him to perform to his optimum.

Al Ferof isnt top class imo. Very surprise if he wins the Arkle. Willg et outpace at a criticial stage imo & will jsut stay on.

I'm not convinced by your reasoning. What's going to outpace him? Of the main contenders (Al Ferof, Peddlers Cross, Grand Crus, Menorah), Al Ferof is the only one to have won over fences at 2m (as opposed to an extended 2m 1f or longer); he won the Supreme Novices last year in a faster time than Hurricane Fly won the CH and his jumping this term has been slick, quick and accurate.

I think Sam Winner will be Nicholls rep in the Jewson personally.

...thanks hezz ...I'm simply asking the question, but it seems to me that Al Ferof could run in either race, while some others are definitely going for one or the other.

...thanks hezz ...I'm simply asking the question, but it seems to me that Al Ferof could run in either race, while some others are definitely going for one or the other.

I agree Al Ferof could and probably should go for the Jewson. If the Jewson was around when Noland ran in the Arkle, i'd say Nicholls would have re-routed him. And all we hear from Nicholls is how like Noland Al Ferof is.

With so many good novice chasers in the yard, I think he has a real juggle on his hands to keep owners happy. With Sam Winner being the younger horse, and needing a trip, he HAS to go for the Jewson at least. Or the RSA. But the RSA could bottom him for the future as it does so many.

I'd imagine he'll keep the party line that Al Ferof is an Arkle horse (you need a horse that gets further to win the Arkle blah blah blah), so that Sam Winner gets to run in the Jewson. Just a theory. Injuries could always force his hand.

Back