Santa Anita Polytrack

Guest_

At the Start
Just how similar is it to turf? I am thinking with the Breeder's Cup Classic in mind.

Curlin looked very average (relatively speaking compared to his brilliance on dirt) on turf last time, so surely if the polytrack is more suitable to turf horses its fair to say it will not suit him?

A clash with Duke Of Marmalade would be a sight. The use of polytracks for this (and next years) Breeders Cup meeting is just what the organisation as a whole needs.

Gal

All synthetics track ain't same in US so can we not call em all polytrack ;) some are Cushion, some are Tepeta , some are Polytrack and SA is now going from a Cushion track to a mix of Proride and Cushiontrack, i believe

So how horses will go on that is anyones guess

Last edited:
You really don't know until you run on it as it is so different but from all accounts it will be a plus for turf horses.

I think connections of DOM will be bullish about the classic plus you may see some of the two year olds race on it this year as the BC will be in the same location in 2009.

Might be a good time to run some of the Galileo or Montjeu type two year olds on the surface this year as a guide to the future.

Might be worth noting that certain US trainers aren´t overly keen on the artificial surfaces - most notably Curlin´s (though Jess Jackson the owner, not the Reverend) quite likes it so could be interesting come October.

Shame, won't be too fussed if they don't get another Breeders now. The pro-ride was a great punting medium at the two Breeders held on it.

Back