Saturday

Flame of Gibraltar is of interest at 2's in the Plantation Stakes at Newmarket today; ran well at Royal Ascot and looks to have further scope to progress, especially given ease in the ground.

I know you were fairly keen on her for the Lancashire Oaks, Betsmate. What do you make of her today?

She'd be my pick, but I can't get excited about the 2/1. Uvinza at 14/1 would not be a million miles off the same profile and Jamie Spencer has got off her to ride the top weight. That has got me doubting the value of 2/1. Going round in circles to be honest.

People saying the racing is crap today but what a ride by Mccoy on nostringsattached. Thought hughesy was good on MC but that was something to behold 5 mins ago.

I did not think todays racing was too bad. I have seen far worse saturdays!!

It's never bad when you have a winner, but the usual Rule 4 bollocks spoilt it for me. The last time it violated me I remember someone said it was a rule that was supposed to help the punter.

EC1. At the risk of aftertiming i was astonished to see the 100/30 on offer this morning.

Glad it weren't just me - staggering isn't it?

Fancy one in the seller tonight - 7.55 Lingfield - POLISH POWER - record at Lingfield AW in Class 6 is 1111

3.5 on betfair..

main market rival Guiseppo Verdi - not been out for 700 days

looks a decent bet to me

Incidently, I have to say how impressed I was with Jamie Spencer's riding at Newmarket both last night and tonight. All his rides were tactically excellent and he seemed to know where the best ground was on both days.

Very very unusual for me to praise him having slated him regularly everywhere, including some heated debates on here before (and to his face once...) but he was head and shoulders above his colleagues at HQ this weekend in my opinion. The trouble is, you just know once he goes to somewhere else this week, he'll slide back into the old habits.

It's never bad when you have a winner, but the usual Rule 4 bollocks spoilt it for me. The last time it violated me I remember someone said it was a rule that was supposed to help the punter.

Relkeel - ffs, rather than making daft posts about the cost of a cheap horse being a negative, can you at least not address this one?!?

Relkeel - ffs, rather than making daft posts about the cost of a cheap horse being a negative, can you at least not address this one?!?

Yes, I'd like an explanation. I can't remember the last time I backed a horse that was withdrawn after the decs. And yet i've had two winners this year that have won comfortably and would have beaten the non-runners.

I was thinking that as we have 48hr decs now all rule 4 deductions should be cut in half and punters who back an animal that is withdrawn should get half just their stake back.

I was thinking that as we have 48hr decs now all rule 4 deductions should be cut in half and punters who back an animal that is withdrawn should get half just their stake back.

This has about as much chance of getting off the ground as forcing rails bookmakers to go best odds guaranteed. Rule 4s are annoying but that's all they are and I can't see any viable alternatives.

The best way would be for bookmakers to offer more antepost markets for weekend's racing early in the week at the 5-day stage.

Back